• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Scared of losing your key fob?

My key was damaged by the dealer when my 2015 R1200RT was serviced. I just got a new fob from the dealer, who told my that pairing is easy. The notice accompanying the key said that the ring antenna (against which I am to hold it) was model specific and to check my owners manual for it's location. I cant find it on the bike or in the manual, though it is shown surrounding the keyhole on a NON keyless bike. Same place on keyless? . The dealer's closed for the holiday. Any advice in the next 24 hrs would be appreciated.

Does your original key still work? Sounds like you need the original key to program the new key when you read post # 11 in this thread.
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?81281-Keyless-fob-price-reductions-whoda-thunk-it

In another thread, Jeff Dean mentioned the antenna was forward of the start button up by the dash.

The notice accompanying the key said that the ring antenna (against which I am to hold it) was model specific and to check my owners manual for it's location. I cant find it on the bike or in the manual,.

Check page 55 of your Riders Manual.
Looks like it's at top center of the dash. That's where they show placing the plastic emergency key.

spare key for keyless

Tried the location pictured in manual. No good.
I will try what I have learned from Lee's suggestion.
Following is from the special insert accompanying key.

"put all available keys out of the radio range of the ring antenna...."
"Hold the spare key directly to the ring antenna...and turn the ignition on."

"put all available keys out of the radio range of the ring antenna...."
"Hold the spare key directly to the ring antenna...and turn the ignition on."

You would think the bike needs to be running like in Jeff Dean's post.
Without it running you could walk up to any parked bike and start it with your new fob.

Are you able to start the bike with your emergency key.

Just tried the emergency key, and, yes, it worked.
Then tried starting bike and held new key to "ring" area-no luck. Held both keys together with ignition on, over the ring, then tried new key alone-no luck. Obviously I will call the dealer tomorrow and (hopefully) resolve it. Thanks for the input. I'll post the solution, if there is one.

I assume it is like the K16, I added another fob to mine. What I did that worked is use the emergency key to start it. Move that key out of range ( dash indicator will light up that no key is near) 30 plus feet at least. Put new fob over the antenna ring area for the keyless and let sit with bike running approximately 5 mins. Shut off bike and try new fob. Good luck.

Wait till they put an "OnStar" like system on the bikes. I can now start my car with my phone, lock and unlock the doors and locate the car. I don't know if I'll put it on my wife's phone yet. I saw that they have the SOS button in Europe already. I do like the tag idea though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait till they put an "OnStar" like system on the bikes. I can now start my car with my phone, lock and unlock the doors and locate the car. I don't know if I'll put it on my wife's phone yet. I saw that they have the SOS button in Europe already. I do like the tag idea though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfect - until it all craps out. Them be sorry. YMMV

Back