• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How bad are the servo brakes?

Actually they were gone across the board on the '07 models. Which was one of the reasons I waited until '07 to buy my first hexhead.

And that's just my opinion - but I've had both - and have never said "I wish I still had whizzy brakes.."

I never have, either.
I think I knew that they got rid of them fo '07 but was all caught up in my rant.
What a brilliant idea they had for '07! A stroke of engineering genius.
I love my RT, but sometimes have to wonder about stuff they do on the mother ship.:scratch

The servo brakes aren't terrible, just unnecessary.
The bad thing with them is that it is a needless complexity.

Seems to me they are a manifestation of engineering arrogance. Look what we can do!!

Oh yeah, they are more expensive to build and maintain, require a more complicated bleeding procedure, are heavier, and arguably don't stop the bike any better, but look! Aren't they cool?

What I really didn't like was the rear to front brake linking. Had to learn a different approach to low speed maneuver on gravel than my other bikes. Was that to appeal to those who don't like to use the hand lever?
Beats me.

BMW finally dropped them after a six year period of denial.
Bless their little hearts.

Rather than an '07, find an '08 or newer. No such brake issues.
I had an '04 and see no less braking ability with my '08.

Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.:wave

I never had a problem with the servo brakes on my '05 R1200RT.

That being said, your post makes perfect sense - every line of it. :thumb

The servo brakes aren't terrible, just unnecessary.
The bad thing with them is that it is a needless complexity.

Seems to me they are a manifestation of engineering arrogance. Look what we can do!!

Oh yeah, they are more expensive to build and maintain, require a more complicated bleeding procedure, are heavier, and arguably don't stop the bike any better, but look! Aren't they cool?

What I really didn't like was the rear to front brake linking. Had to learn a different approach to low speed maneuver on gravel than my other bikes. Was that to appeal to those who don't like to use the hand lever?
Beats me.

BMW finally dropped them after a six year period of denial.
Bless their little hearts.

Rather than an '07, find an '08 or newer. No such brake issues.
I had an '04 and see no less braking ability with my '08.

Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.:wave

I totally agree. after 5 + years of ownership of my 06RT, the brakes remain as my biggest complaint. I simply don't like them for all the reasons mentioned.
Apparently BMW engineers don't subscribe to the " If a'int broke, don't fix it" rule.

Not to mention the rear brake light circuit goes threw the abs control unit. So if you loose your rear brake lights you might have to replace the control unit instead of a ity bity switch.

Had a 2004 GS and put 24K on it and never had any trouble while bike was running. Pushing it around in the garage just had to remember no servos. The servo brakes shouldn't be a make or brake (pardon the pun) item to me.

A buddy of mine mentioned today that perhaps these bikes, as they get older, will fall into the category of ones to avoid.
His reasoning was that many of them don't get the critical fluid flushes they require, so a prospective buyer may or may not be looking at a soon to fail system. Sure would be an item of concern for me.

"Had a 2004 GS and put 24K on it and never had any trouble"

I never had any trouble with my '04, either, putting 60+ thousand miles on it.

A buddy of mine mentioned today that perhaps these bikes, as they get older, will fall into the category of ones to avoid.

I think I've given up trying to figure out which machines buyers will avoid because of their technical histories. Look at the people posting here about buying pre '97 Oilers, in spite of their potential transmission issues. And look at all the people buying Porsches with M96 and M97 engines, with the potential Intermediate Shaft Seal issues.

Last edited:
I think I've given up trying to figure out which machines buyers will avoid because of their technical histories. Look at the people posting here about buying pre '97 Oilers, in spite of their potential transmission issues. And look at all the people buying Porsches with M96 and M97 engines, with the potential Intermediate Shaft Seal issues.

Advertising 101:

"The typical consumer doesn't buy what's smart; they buy what they like." :deal

I never have, either.
I think I knew that they got rid of them fo '07 but was all caught up in my rant.
What a brilliant idea they had for '07! A stroke of engineering genius.
I love my RT, but sometimes have to wonder about stuff they do on the mother ship.:scratch

No, they didn't "get rid of them." They found a better solution. There's still a motor in the system and the system still links front and rear brakes.

Apparently I should have been clearer and specified rear to front linking, which is what we were talking about. Also, they did rid the bike of at least one motor.
They did get rid of rear to front linking in '07.

Last edited:
Apparently I should have been clearer and specified rear to front linking, which is what we were talking about.
They did get rid of that in '07.

IIRC - the both-way linking depended on the model. Some of the Whizzy brake systems had the front linked to the rear only when the front was used. IIRC - the GS was that way. RT was both-way-linked. Dunno about the S or ST.

IIRC - the both-way linking depended on the model. Some of the Whizzy brake systems had the front linked to the rear only when the front was used. IIRC - the GS was that way. RT was both-way-linked. Dunno about the S or ST.

You are right. Apparently what was a bad idea for one model was good for another.
I believe the authority bikes were also not linked both ways.
I like the front to rear linking.

Checking online owners manuals, all Hexhead GS (2004), RT(2005) and R(2006?) models linked both brakes to the front lever, foot pedal operated rear brake only, even though the pre-2007 models were still whizzy. R1200S model apparently was not linked at all. I cannot locate Oilhead manuals online.

Don't know about other models, but my '04 S has the partially linked brakes, which is just fine by me since I learned to use the back brake for certain conditions. Will admit it took a bit of training to get accommodated to the "power" brakes, but I'm a fan now.:thumb

I totally understand comments about complexity and extra maintenance costs. Having my dealer flush the brakes every couple of years is not cheap. OTOH, ten years of riding Ducatis and spending exorbitant money for valve adjustments....I'll spend the money on my brakes without crying in my beer too much.:)

Cheers!

Love my R1150RS servo brakes

Bought my 02' RS new, never once had an issue, and never once even gave thought to getting used to it, it works perfectly, and perfectly linear feeling. This was my 25th motorcycle, and on number 34 now, still owning my beautiful R1150RS.

Bought my 02' RS new, never once had an issue, and never once even gave thought to getting used to it, it works perfectly, and perfectly linear feeling. This was my 25th motorcycle, and on number 34 now, still owning my beautiful R1150RS.
Same on my 2004 R1100S.

Whizzie systems have a second design problem which I suspect causes many of the main motor issues. Its that silly little microswitch up on the bar that can and will stick if it gets dirt in it over time. When it does, I suspect many owners fail to notices the brake motor running when it should not- which cause rapidly accelerated wear and the need for repair I heard the stuck on motor on my K and fixed the microswitch by hitting it with some silicon lube....
I hate linked brakes. Years learning how to do it right by habit and some engineer thinks his half-a..ed algorithm is better than me- it's not and always uses too little rear so noobs don't do a self wipeout.

Last edited:
Back