• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Time for a new front tire on my rig

DRRAOULDUKE

Looking for ideas. I have a 1974 R90/6 with a Ural sidecar. Ural rig could also use a new skin as well so I guess I am looking for two recommendations.

Thanks in Advance,

Heidenau advertises sidecar tires in 18" & 19", for both highway and dirt applications. If you were running 18" Metzler has their K Block.

Front & Sidecar Rig Replacement tires

My current front tire on the 1974 R90/g is a Metzler 3.25 X 19 MC 54V and has side cracking. Probably like to replace the tire on the Ural sidecar as well.
Any recommendations besides the OEM tire??

Thanks in Advance,

Just do a search for Heidenau sidecar tires. Their K28 and K29 may fit the bill. If your Ural hasn't been modified, it should be a 19" wheel. Many have been modified to take an 18", BMW rear wheel. That way if you have a flat on either the rear of the bike or the boat, you only have to carry one spare to fit both. That's why I asked about size.

In either case Heidenau should have a tire to fit. There are other motorcycle tires that would fit but a motorcycle has a different purpose, mainly a rounded profile for leaning in the corners. They will work but don't last as long as a sidecar specific tire. A sidecar tire is built with a more squared off profile putting more surface on the road, similar to a car tire. Sidecars also put side load on a tire so changing out your weather checked tire(s) before they fail is a good call.

Good luck and ride easy,
gp

Duro 308s are what I'm running on my Ural. Heidis (I have K-60 Scouts on my GSA) are spendy, but wear a long time. The sidewalls are as stiff as an ironing boars and a royal pain to mount and dismount if you do your own tires. Buddy runs Heidis on his Gear Up.

Gone are the days of the $25 Uralshina tires.

Many have been modified to take an 18", BMW rear wheel.

Ural equipped the "Retro" model with 18" wheels on all corners. It was set up for disc brake.

+1 on Duros

Duro 308
Duro_HF308_Tire.jpg

Duro 307 if you're looking for something a little more "off-roady".
duro-HF307.jpg

They're both in the $50-80 range. Which isn't too bad.

I'm running an Avon sidecar tire on my Ural (4x19). More of a block pattern. Wearing well and is going to last through 2 pushers. Good grip in wet (this is a relative term comparing to Duro's). If you have same size at each corner consider switching worn tire to sidecar. My experience is sidecar tires last a long long time.

As an aside... are the Duros "hand-mountable" ?

I just had a flat on my /5 rear tire. The tire is a Bridgestone S11 Spitfire; a great tire, but I couldn't even get the bead broken down off the rim by hand. Finally bit the bullet and took it to my local independent shop that has a changer.

Even though the old Continental K112/RB2 pairs were squirmy at best, at least you could change them by the side of the road if need be.

As an aside... are the Duros "hand-mountable" ?

I just had a flat on my /5 rear tire. The tire is a Bridgestone S11 Spitfire; a great tire, but I couldn't even get the bead broken down off the rim by hand. Finally bit the bullet and took it to my local independent shop that has a changer.

Even though the old Continental K112/RB2 pairs were squirmy at best, at least you could change them by the side of the road if need be.

The old tube type tires had much softer sidewalls. with the wide spread advent of tubeless rims, almost all tires now have stiffer sidewalls for tubeless compatibility.
I'm sure it's not because we're gaining chronological experience........ :gerg

The Duros are hand mountable when left on lawn on warm summer days; winter in the garage is an ugly wrestling match.

Back