• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to wet heads, buuuut...

beemermyke

Today i got a 2016 R1200 GSA after threatening to for years. Great bike on the 150 mile ride home, but an odd thing happened shortly after I got it back to the house. It's the keyless ignition (FOB) and it has the retractable key for the panniers and seat lock. It worked fine on the panniers, but it is now jammed in the seat lock after I removed the front and back halves, and locked them back in place. I read the booklet; turn it CCW to remove the front, CW to remove the aft. The key slot, prior to inserting the key was vertical (straight up and down). The stuck key is about a 45 degree angle, so it won't release. Furthermore, the seats will no longer release either. Is this a known issue with the seat locking mechanism? I put a call into the dealer and left a message, but I'm hoping someone has experienced this and maybe has a solution.

Just a thought... Seems I have dealt with this after a front seat was not quite lined up...it happens.
with your left fist, hit the rear of front seat near the centerline like you mean it at the same time you turn the key towards the front of bike. Sounds like the release bar is in a bind.
Having a helper to lift as you complete the hit wouldn't hurt...unless you really don't want to ask:whistle

Then the ride back to your dealer if that doesn't do it. Good luck!
I hear some think that fob key may be a bit dainty compared to the older hard key...don't go crazy trying to turn it.

There's a plastic doo-hickey that rides on a metal tab that opens the seat lock. On my 2015 the plastic part would jam against the metal and make it almost impossible to remove the riders seat. I put a dab of grease between the parts and the problem is solved. Hitting the seat while turning the key worked fairly well. I have a picture of this, but I'm on my work computer and can't access it. You will have to remove the part that has the locking mechanism to fix it.

Simple yet complicated

Try it by the book a couple times and then ask the dealer to correct the problem under warranty which should include (assuming the key is stuck, bike can't be started or ridden safely) picking up the bike, fixing it and reuniting owner with the bike. Stuff like this should not happen on a brand new $18,000 plus motorcycle.

Thanks for the replies. A friend was with me at the time, we did try all manner of seat "encouragement" with no luck. Henzilla, I'll try your methods. My friend thinks it's a key/tumbler issue. It may be the seat locking mechanism itself. Can somebody take a picture of the bottom of both seats AND a closeup view of the mechanism itself? Since the fob is part of the key, the bike is rideable, just not secure if you leave it unattended. If I can't do something simple to resolve it, I'll let the dealer fix it when it goes back for the 600 mile service in two weeks.

You can look at the parts fiche and under Seat is the latch for the front seat.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=56208&rnd=07012015

under Frame section is the lock and it's linkage components...which you cannot see w/out removing a lot of bits to view as it is under the luggage plate under the pillion seat
I had the aluminum arm that is tied to the front latch break on an 05 GS getting in a hurry in the rain and in the dark and probably torquing the key way too hard when it was in a bind. Had not had bike long is my excuse!
Been just long enough I don't recall the replacement steps, other than a PITA. The GS seat latch system seems to be the most complicated of any model we have.

Since it's new, would take it in instead of digging into it. If you did not get the front of seat in the slots, the rear can get jammed if you are not familiar with the dance.

Extra Non Coded Keys

When your at the dealer spend $40 and pick yourself up 2 non chipped keys you can use in the panniers, seat and GPS bracket. In fact with the issues you are having encourage them to give you a couple of free ones for your troubles. This way you can zip tie that key fob in your jacket pocket and won't lose or break the $200 item. Forces you to wear your jacket as well.

My key gets stuck often in both panniers on my '15 GSA. I found if I turn the key slightly past the "normal" position to remove the key while pulling gently the key comes out much easier. I still plan on getting a non chip key as I hear they seem to operate the locks much better.

When your at the dealer spend $40 and pick yourself up 2 non chipped keys you can use in the panniers, seat and GPS bracket. In fact with the issues you are having encourage them to give you a couple of free ones for your troubles. This way you can zip tie that key fob in your jacket pocket and won't lose or break the $200 item. Forces you to wear your jacket as well.

That's a great idea!

A follow-up with my stuck key fob (pics will follow with explanation and what to watch for, when I get the time): The dealership did manage to remove the key fob! The service manager showed me what was going on under the seat and then suggested that in the future that I gently operate the key to remove both seat halves and not "muscle it". :scratch Darrell, you mentioned buying a regular key(s) as a backup. Can you get one for a keyless ignition motorcycle? When I ordered one and went to pick it up Saturday while I was there getting my 600 mile service, it was another chipped key. He stated that the keyless bikes don't come with regular keys. That makes no sense to me, unless the design is totally different and is not available in a standard key...

Extra keys

A follow-up with my stuck key fob (pics will follow with explanation and what to watch for, when I get the time): The dealership did manage to remove the key fob! The service manager showed me what was going on under the seat and then suggested that in the future that I gently operate the key to remove both seat halves and not "muscle it". :scratch Darrell, you mentioned buying a regular key(s) as a backup. Can you get one for a keyless ignition motorcycle? When I ordered one and went to pick it up Saturday while I was there getting my 600 mile service, it was another chipped key. He stated that the keyless bikes don't come with regular keys. That makes no sense to me, unless the design is totally different and is not available in a standard key...

Tell your dealer to order part number 51257688674 from BMW and the dealer giving them the serial number off your bike and confirming you are the owner. These keys should come cut to use to open your panniers, GPS lock if fitted with one and the seat. These keys will not work for the keyless ignition or the keyless gas tank cap. They are about $20 each.

Tell your dealer to order part number 51257688674 from BMW and the dealer giving them the serial number off your bike and confirming you are the owner. These keys should come cut to use to open your panniers, GPS lock if fitted with one and the seat. These keys will not work for the keyless ignition or the keyless gas tank cap. They are about $20 each.

Ordered a couple from my dealer, still need to be lazer cut by a locksmith

I use gun oil on my case- and seat cylinders and the rest of the locking mechanism whenever they start to act up on my 15 GSA. I start with contact cleaner (lots of it) while working the locks to get the grit and dirt out. Then use pressurized air still working it, before I finish them up with some gun oil or clp. Works wonders.

Back