• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

buying through marketplace

tonysuburb

Is it safe to send someone a check for items listed in the Marketplace section? Is there a way to check to see if the person is a member?

The online "how-to" on this page says:

The Marketplace is for the use of BMW MOA members. A valid MOA username and password is required to list items, however guests can browse categories and view complete listings. Contacting a seller or "buying" an item requires a login.

So the answer to your question about checking for membership is...folks who list items have to be MOA members. If you list items, prospective buyers who contact you through the Marketplace must also be MOA members.

Last edited:
I have sold items on the marketplace and bought a few also
I do not do PayPal and have accepted personnel checks on the items I've sold
When buying items I also use a check and ask seller to send item when check clears or if they request it use a USPS money order
So far no one has stiffed me, all have been members of MOA

I am glad to see that the Marketplace is a "Member to Member" service again! Thank you!

YES!!!, for sure to the above, and based upon the first few comments it is working just fine. Knowing our BUNCH, there would be 5 times as many more negative as there are if it wasn't going well.............For once, in a seemingly long drought of business decisions, back to the membership instead of the corporation, does work........God bless.....Dennis

Remember being a member of MOA, doesn't mean that one doesn't make errors in their listing, are less than reliable or just an out and out crook. I would suggest same caution as any other on line transaction.

A few years ago, I purchased a top case through the Marketplace. Paid by check. It arrived in excellent condition. It didn't fit correctly on my bike. I contacted the seller and asked if he would take it back. Not only did he agree, he sent me a check that included my shipping cost back to him :wow I sent him a check for the shipping + :)

I have never had any problems purchasing through the BMW website listings. I sent check, and they sent item(s), sometimes crossing in the mail.

Back