• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What happened to California?

jkersh1

Live it, or live with it
Got my "Owners News" today with the 2015 mileage contest results. NO California. What happened? Hit by the Big One?

I saw that too. Perhaps the Big One already occurred and we didn't notice.

More grin-worthy was the caption on page 70 referring to the picture on page 71: "Canon on Edinburgh Castle..." I kept looking for a member of the clergy standing on the battlements.

The page numbering of the two major articles (as shown on the Table of Contents) was markedly inaccurate. OTOH, the articles themselves were great.

Last edited:
I saw that too. Perhaps the Big One already occurred and we didn't notice.

More grin-worthy was the caption on page 70 referring to the picture on page 71: "Canon on Edinburgh Castle..." I kept looking for a member of the clergy standing on the battlements.

The page numbering of the two major articles (as shown on the Table of Contents) was markedly inaccurate. OTOH, the articles themselves were great.

I miss Jim Gebhardt. :dance

Possible reason California and Arkansas are missing

When they were recording the entries and came to mine and started laughing so much about my low mileage that California and Arkansas fell off the table.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

#71,449

Last edited:
Missing State Results

This is bush league magazine production. Wasn't there anyone proofing the layout? Jeeez!:banghead

This is bush league magazine production. Wasn't there anyone proofing the layout? Jeeez!:banghead

Ted provided the missing info in the Clubhouse section-

There is a page from the original word doc that is missing. The layout software skipped this page as the magazine was being created and ran some of the names together. These are the finishers that are missing. The first 11 names are the balance of the Arizona riders that were missing from the magazine.

attachment.php

These finishers are listed in the Arizona section, but actually from California

attachment.php

Hope you did well.
OM

Too much automation. Too few human eyes and hands.

Possibly, probably. All the same, mistakes happen. How those mistakes are dealt with, that's what separates the pros from the posers. It's just my opinion for what that's worth, I'm impressed with what I consider a genuine effort on the part of the MOA to get in front of their mistakes and make an effort to make it right. Hopefully we can identify trends and develope corrective actions. Zero defect environments I found more often than not are zero defect in name only.

Case in point, I have Jack Ripie's, "conversations with a motorcycle" first edition, the one that has a few editing errors in it. I value the book more so than an edition with corrections as I feel connection with the author through his occasional error in prose. Granted, in this case there isn't a direct correlation with my example as Ted explained, the error seems to be an automation one... But well, there you have it. Even in my re end published bio I found a couple of things I would go back and change. Once you see something in print it takes on a whole new light. I've seen your work for years now, and I'll be damned if I can find an error in your work. I suspect because you pore over your work miticulously with a fine tooth comb. I know everyone doesn't see the world of print as I do, but I enjoy the occasional typo or grammar error in member contributions. Reminds me that we are we are all in fact mere mortals.

Back