• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Enduro and Enduro Pro settings 2016 GSA

hatch

Hi, I'm a little confused about the front/rear brake linking, ABS and traction control when in Enduro and Enduro Pro modes when riding in the dirt.

What is the difference in traction control for the two modes? Why would I ever want to turn off traction control in the dirt?

In Enduro Pro, if I use only the front brake are the front/rear brakes linked?

In Enduro Pro, if I use the rear brake then apply the front brake, is ABS still active for either front or rear brakes?

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I have a 2015 GS and not the GSA but I believe the Enduro and Enduro Pro settings work the same across both bikes and I had exactly the same questions you raised.
The best explanation I could find is as follows (from BMW themselves) and it takes a bit of digesting but the key component for me was the need for studded/knobby tyres for Pro mode. For that reason alone I don't use Pro mode as I have Anakee 3 rubber on my bike.

Hope this helps -

The “Enduro” mode enhances the R 1200 GS for off-road riding. A soft throttle response, restrained control intervention on the part of the Enduro ASC, optimum brake distribution and ABS control in conjunction with the high-traction set-up of the optional Dynamic ESA get the motorcycle ready to explore new enduro worlds. This means that even motorcyclists with limited enduro experience will quickly get their off-road bearings on the new R 1200 GS and enjoy lots of riding fun. The mode is optimised for use with standard tyres.

For more ambitious enduro riders, BMW Motorrad offers the “Enduro Pro” mode. This riding mode provides spontaneous engine response characteristics and is designed for use with studded tyres. At the same time, the ABS function is disengaged at the rear by pressing the footbrake lever; the optional Dynamic ESA shifts into traction-oriented and optimum bottom-out set-up. ASC is set to professional enduro mode and permits considerably more slip. In this configuration, the sporty face of the new BMW R 1200 GS is revealed off-road, too, and the experienced enduro rider can move into an added dimension of riding fun due to further improved controllability of the machine.

My salesman said Enduro Pro is only for use with knobbies, in dirt. I think the translation of the post above is that Enduro Pro allows the rear wheel to spin, and one or both brakes to lock up - basically traction control off, and ABS off. I've never ridden dirt so someone knowledgeable will certainly set me straight but I believe sometimes stopping involves locking a wheel and pushing a pile of dirt ahead of you until you stop - ABS wouldn't allow that. Likewise sometimes you need to spin up the rear wheel a lot to make even a little progress, traction control wouldn't allow that. Sounds like throttle is basically in "dynamic" mode.

Enduro sounds like throttle in "rain" mode, with less ABS and TC than any of the road modes, but not completely off (or nearly so) like in Enduro Pro.

Back