• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jackets

72r60/7

I have been looking to replace my wonderful Thurlow Deerskin Jacket. Well past the end date. The padding in the elbows has melted and now leaks out the sleeve holes in hot weather. Thurlow NLA. VERY SAD. Best gloves in the world for me.

I looked into Belstaff but that's not working out. Supposedly the US only gets about 10% of the total years manufactured supply. Hard to find some to try on sizes. Still would like to have one one day.

Aerostitch is the jacket "du jour" but still would not invest that much without trying on a few. Duluth is too far for a dedicated trip this season, as it is already filled with other rides to "destinations".

Turns out that they (Aerostitch) will be in Woodbridge, VA mid April for an bit of vending and exhibit. Looks like maybe 3 days in an unleased retail space. Same weekend as Morton's Open House, I think.

I recall Aerostitch in the early 80's (?) at a RA National in VA Beach selling matching his/hers riding suits that seemed to be made from a paper like Mylar material. Couldn't really tell as we couldn't get too close as we were laughing too hard. " Who in the world would wear such a thing".
Yes that's egg on my face and Andy certainly did and still does have the last laugh.
You win Andy, so will you stop rubbing it in if you get my $800.

Charlie

I have been looking to replace my wonderful Thurlow Deerskin Jacket. Well past the end date. The padding in the elbows has melted and now leaks out the sleeve holes in hot weather. Thurlow NLA. VERY SAD. Best gloves in the world for me.

I looked into Belstaff but that's not working out. Supposedly the US only gets about 10% of the total years manufactured supply. Hard to find some to try on sizes. Still would like to have one one day.

Aerostitch is the jacket "du jour" but still would not invest that much without trying on a few. Duluth is too far for a dedicated trip this season, as it is already filled with other rides to "destinations".

Turns out that they (Aerostitch) will be in Woodbridge, VA mid April for an bit of vending and exhibit. Looks like maybe 3 days in an unleased retail space. Same weekend as Morton's Open House, I think.

I recall Aerostitch in the early 80's (?) at a RA National in VA Beach selling matching his/hers riding suits that seemed to be made from a paper like Mylar material. Couldn't really tell as we couldn't get too close as we were laughing too hard. " Who in the world would wear such a thing".
Yes that's egg on my face and Andy certainly did and still does have the last laugh.
You win Andy, so will you stop rubbing it in if you get my $800.

Charlie
Aerostich just completed a pop-up event in St. Louis last week. I attended and ended up purchasing the Darien Light jacket after trying on a couple different sizes. Previously they had sent me information based on measurements that I took and sent to them, and they were spot on, on the size they recommended me to purchase. So, if you get a chance to go to their event, they will have one of every size to try on and can custom size you on the spot. On top of all that, I had a great time interacting with other customers and the folks from Duluth. And they even got to try out the best pretzels, ( Gus's Pretzels) and St. Louis's best donuts (Donut Stop), so it was a win-win for everyone......:)

Charlie

I don't know if this helps Charlie- http://britishmotorcyclegear.com

As an aside, I have fond memories of my Belstaff waxed cotton, flannel lined riding gear.......along with the scent of swamp and peat from my enduro days.
Gary

+1 on 'stich!!!

Although I have never attended an off-site event held by them, I have ridden to Duluth several times (at least twice for the sole purpose of visiting Andy and his crew). It is a neat location to see and experience, a terrific bunch of folks to do business with, AND, for my money, the best riding products available.

KLim vs Rallye vs Rukka

Will need a new adventure jacket in the spring. Currently in a 15-year-old Rukka but thinking about Klim. Thoughts? Thanks

Another option

I have had a set of Motoport pants for several years now. They also make jackets. A friend of mine bought one this past summer in mesh. The company is located in California. You can sent in a pair of pants and get the exact fit for the pants. Jackets can also be made to size according to their website. I have been very happy with the pants. My wife bought the jean style and they fit her like a glove when they arrived. I will be sending my pants in this winter to be re fit as I have lost a lot of weight. http://www.motoport.com They are very easy to work with.

I have also been to Aerostich in Duluth MN. Their suits are also top notch. I prefer a mesh jacket and they don't make them.

I'll second Motoport. I've had their jackets and pants in a couple different models since 1998, good bit of kit. One of the features I like is the removable waterproof liner, the jacket without the liner flows plenty of air keeping you cooler at higher temperatures.

No single riding outfit is "best" for all conditions, but I ride in Aerostich gear at least 90% of the time. I could write several pages as to why, and what else I wear for certain conditions, and what else I have tried, and why I have given away several jackets to young up coming riders, but it would bore readers to tears and maybe screams of "stop." So I won't. :wave

I am a big fan of BMW riding apparel due mostly to its' high quality, and it usually fits me. I wear the GS Dry Suit in winter & the Air Flow in summer. However, the last GS Dry I bought hasn't performed as well as the first :scratch. I am also a big fan of Aerostich because of the quality and well thought out functionality of the gear. The people who design it RIDE. I am convinced the folks who design BMW gear either have never ridden a motorcycle or did so only for a short time. The design of the collar is a joke on anyone who rides thru heavy rain for extended periods of time. The last time I did, I really thought about how much I would like to strangle that person because I was soaked around the neck. I am going back to my Aerostich Roadcrafter! You just can't beat it for overall performance. The downside (if you care), is that you look like a dork, but the upside is you can get out of the suit quickly and your in your street clothes :). Aerostich is tops! If you ever visit their place in Duluth (yes I've been), you won't hesitate to buy their gear. Just my opinion.

I’am headed to Motoport today for some new jeans, more than likely will replace my 7 year old Motoport jacket at the same time, have been very happy with their gear. One big plus is that armour doesn’t have to be removed for washing

Back