• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1969 r60us

ind1mrg

Can you run one without a battery installed and if so do you do anything with the battery cables, ground the ground or whatever. I don't want to stress the system.

Yes, you can run without a battery installed. The battery is really only a reservoir for power to run the lights, etc., when you're idling like at a stop of something.

I re-read something that Vech wrote on another forum that this is not a good idea in that you'll eventually fry the voltage regulator. You have to find a way to defeat the generator. He suggested that the brushes be permanently lifted off the armature to stop voltage generation. Or go all the way and remove the generator completely.

I think it would be best to have a battery in the system just to keep all systems running.

You have to complete the circuit

The bike will run fine with a dead battery as far as I know but won't create spark unless the + & - wires are connected somehow, I think. I have never tried to run any of my /2's without a battery in there, dead or alive so I can't be sure. Find an old 6 volt /2 battery and put it in there to run the bike, if your going to ride it around I would suggest getting a good one and make sure the lights are working good, especially the tail and brake light.

It ran just fine without the battery and the wires were not hooked to anything. I just wanted to run her a little and park her again but I installed a battery and have been ridding. She hit good on the second kick and ran on the third.
I bought the bike a few years back from a man in Bristol Tn. It has a fairing and leather saddle bags that he said he didn't like that I have now installed. Anyone have a way that I could send a pic from my phone to so I could post it. I have terrible internet capabilities.

Mark sent me his pictures so I could upload them for him. Nice looking bike...and classic vintage fairing!

Attachments

• 0322161646LR.jpg
    0322161646LR.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 0322161646bLR.jpg
    0322161646bLR.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for doing that for me. Just after I got the bike I had someone tell me that the fairing was made at the factory by hammering it out on a stump they had to form it. They said look on the inside and you can see the hammer marks and there are some marks that could be I suppose.

Back