Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adjusting the engagement point of a Wethead Clutch or Brake! (pictorial)

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Nice write up. At the risk of displaying ignorance, what is the reason for doing this adjustment? I thought all wetheads came stock with adjustable brake and clutch levers. I know my oilhead does. Is this procedure for a more fine-tuned adjustment? Maybe I am just fortunate and available lever positions work for me without disassembling anything.
    They quit offering that adjustable lever when the 1200's came out. Sure was a nice quick adjustment.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    They quit offering that adjustable lever when the 1200's came out. Sure was a nice quick adjustment.
    Wetheads have adjustable levers. Works fine for me.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    Wetheads have adjustable levers. Works fine for me.
    They went back with the 4 position wheel? or just the small knurled knob.
    Have had a few here, but apparently not looking at levers
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    They went back with the 4 position wheel? or just the small knurled knob.
    Have had a few here, but apparently not looking at levers
    Yep, four position wheel.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS

Mehrten

Lever Adjustment vs Plunger Rod Adjustment

Nice write up. At the risk of displaying ignorance, what is the reason for doing this adjustment? I thought all wetheads came stock with adjustable brake and clutch levers. I know my oilhead does. Is this procedure for a more fine-tuned adjustment? Maybe I am just fortunate and available lever positions work for me without disassembling anything.

The adjustment on the lever will help accommodate different hand sizes and finger reaches.

The plunger rod adjustment will change where the rod actually starts moving the plunger in the master cylinder.

I'm my case, with the lever adjustment all the way out I could squeeze the lever in so close to the throttle that my thumb couldn't rotate properly when blipping the throttle.

By adjusting the plunger rod to start actuating the plunger sooner, I now have more brake in the lever.

I still have the lever set to the farthest position because that is the reach that fits my hand.

Now the lever is farther away from the throttle when the brakes are doing their job and my thumb will rotate properly without hitting the lever.

Two different adjustments.

Deryle Mehrten
    Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Clutch Adjustment

Jim,

THANKS for the adjustment procedure. However, I must be misinterpreting your directions
    (Once the set screw is loose, you use the 2mm Allen to adjust the distance the plunger goes into the master cylinder. The more it goes in the sooner you will get engagement. Turn it in Clockwise from the perspective of the plunger) to bring the lever closer to the grip when engagement starts, and turn it out (counterclockwise) to move engagement away from the grip. I suggest moving it only one turn at a time at most. Reinstall and test.)
    I was able to loosen the set screw and adjust the plunger w/o removing the lever assembly
    I adjusted the plunger CW one turn and the engagement point moved AWAY from the grip So, I adjusted it two turns CCW and it is now CLOSER to the grip. I have the wheel set at 2. I am now pleased with the operation of the clutch.

THANKS
    Karl
    2016 R1200RT-LC San Marino Blue (The Alien)
    2008 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic (Wife's)
    2014 1600 GTL Gray-Traded; 2011 R1200RT Black/Silver-Traded

I think there are two adjustments: the engagement point, and lever travel. The lever travel adjuster at the lever are to accommodate for example short fingers so you can decrease the distance the lever moves between fully pulled and fully out. If the engagement point is bordering on not fully disengaging the clutch for example when the lever travel is maxed, then it's possible if you shorten the lever throw you won't fully disengage the clutch. So they are related, but separate adjustments.

Clutch plunger adjustment

Confused. Do you adjust CCW to get close engagement or CW. Please clarify. I have seen 2 different responses. Thanks. Why do the dealers not know about this adjustment. My dealer said the clutch is not adjustable.

Plunger/set screw availability???

Read this post a little late and have managed to snap off Allen wrenches in both plungers and round off the set screw in one of them ��☹️. As others have mentioned, none of the bmw parts lists shows this part, let alone gives it a number. It appears to be the same for both levers. Anyone have a part # or a source for the plunger/set screw combination? Thanks.
    Last edited by clayschmidt2; 11-13-2019 at 05:11 PM.