• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adjusting the engagement point of a Wethead Clutch or Brake! (pictorial)

Clutch Adjustment

Jim,

THANKS for the adjustment procedure. However, I must be misinterpreting your directions
(Once the set screw is loose, you use the 2mm Allen to adjust the distance the plunger goes into the master cylinder. The more it goes in the sooner you will get engagement. Turn it in Clockwise from the perspective of the plunger) to bring the lever closer to the grip when engagement starts, and turn it out (counterclockwise) to move engagement away from the grip. I suggest moving it only one turn at a time at most. Reinstall and test.)
I was able to loosen the set screw and adjust the plunger w/o removing the lever assembly:)
I adjusted the plunger CW one turn and the engagement point moved AWAY from the grip:banghead So, I adjusted it two turns CCW and it is now CLOSER to the grip. I have the wheel set at 2. I am now pleased with the operation of the clutch.

THANKS

Nice write up. At the risk of displaying ignorance, what is the reason for doing this adjustment? I thought all wetheads came stock with adjustable brake and clutch levers. I know my oilhead does. Is this procedure for a more fine-tuned adjustment? Maybe I am just fortunate and available lever positions work for me without disassembling anything.

I think there are two adjustments: the engagement point, and lever travel. The lever travel adjuster at the lever are to accommodate for example short fingers so you can decrease the distance the lever moves between fully pulled and fully out. If the engagement point is bordering on not fully disengaging the clutch for example when the lever travel is maxed, then it's possible if you shorten the lever throw you won't fully disengage the clutch. So they are related, but separate adjustments.

Clutch plunger adjustment

Confused. Do you adjust CCW to get close engagement or CW. Please clarify. I have seen 2 different responses. Thanks. Why do the dealers not know about this adjustment. My dealer said the clutch is not adjustable.

Plunger/set screw availability???

Read this post a little late and have managed to snap off Allen wrenches in both plungers and round off the set screw in one of them ��☹️. As others have mentioned, none of the bmw parts lists shows this part, let alone gives it a number. It appears to be the same for both levers. Anyone have a part # or a source for the plunger/set screw combination? Thanks.

Last edited:
Attempting to adjust clutch disengagement or clutch drag

Hi all, I stumbled upon this thread while trying to troubleshooting a catchy\grinding 1st-2nd shift due to clutch drag(weak disengagement). Just as an FYI to anyone attempting to use this guide to get better clutch disengagement or removal of clutch drag this did not work on my bike. It does however allow you to modify the 'engagement point' as quoted, quick and easy. I did not have to remove anything on my stock 2014...both the set screw and adjustment screw on the stock levers are easily reachable with no disassembly and nothing was overly torqued either, very easy with the proper size allens.

For testing purposes I turned the screw in until the clutch lever no longer contacting the handlebar grip when fully compressed...thus guaranteeing that the master cylinder plunger was fully engaged to its maximum extent and unfortunately the clutch drag still persisted with no change. In fact(and I might be dreaming this) I found the issue to very slightly improved with the rod turned out(counter-clock) about 0.75 turns from stock...which also brings the engagement point closer to the handle grip as well which better fits my style also.

Just an FYI and YMMW but I saw someone had asked above if this would help with drag and wanted to let folks know my experiences. Excellent write up either way, thank you.

I’m going to be changing out my levers soon so this was a great write up. Thanks JVB. Alway posting good pictorial DIY mods. I like it.

Like someone else mentioned I wonder if it’s possible to just buy the plunger and set screw to put in my new lever and keep the current ones in my stock levers. That would be ideal. Then they would be ready as a backup if needed with minimal modification. Anyone know if you can buy just a plunger and set screw or do you have to buy the complete lever set?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back