• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where are the best technical roads west of Austin, San Antonio???

frankrca

We rode the three sister out of Kerrville ( hwy 16,335,336,337) last year and had a good time. We are looking at going back into the area in April 8th to 24th and would like to try some other roads out in the area. I enjoy the technical roads and those roads with some good scenery and long curves. We may be located in the San Marcos area during this time. Thanks ahead.

Last edited:
Check out the roads that are west of Bandera, through the towns of Tarpley, Utopia, Leakey (pronounced Lake-y), Vanderpool, Medina...even up to Rock Springs. The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum is just north of Vanderpool. That's a good place to visit. Not sure if you made it to Luckenbach, but a good place to cool your heels with a cold one and play some "washers".

Try 55 north out of Camp Wood to Barksdale then to Rocksprings then onto Junction. Between Barksdale and Rocksprings are some great hi speed sweepers and between Rocksprings and Junction some tighter curvies.
Hwy 16 between Kerrville and Bandera is fun and beautiful. and even has some hilly switchbacks.
FM 2325 between Wimberly and Blanco
FM 165 between Blanco and Henly.
FM 1323 off US 281 north of Johnson City runs over to Willow City and on to 16.

That's just a small sampling, I could spent all night trying to list all the good roads in that area. Try and get your hands on the Butler map for Texas. It has these and many more.

Thanks I will take more roads

Thanks for the detailed information that gives me even the small roads that I would not normally find on a Texas map e.g. farm road 1323. Add more as I will try as many as possible. If you wish to ride with me just make that statement and we could meet and ride. I expect to take in COTA GP race first then stay for a couple of weeks. We just had another foot of snow this week with temperatures at freezing and below for the next two weeks; so I believe the trip south would be a quick start to my riding season. Thanks Gary

We rode the three sister out of Kerrville ( hwy 16,335,336,337) last year and had a good time. We are looking at going back into the area in April 8th to 24th and would like to try some other roads out in the area. I enjoy the technical roads and those roads with some good scenery and long curves. We may be located in the San Marcos area during this time. Thanks ahead.

Check out Lime Creek road just outside of Austin. It's short, but it's a curvy son of a gun. The Butler map is your best resource for good roads in the Hill Country.

Just a word of caution, some of the RM and RR state roads have sections of open range...cows often in road after dark.1323 definitely one of those.
I also hit a flash flooded low water crossing a week back after a front blew thru that you really could not see until on top of it. I reevaluated my night riding again after that boofoo on my part.:banghead
Of course the ubiquitous white tail deer waiting for bikes.

Be careful after sunset!

For a scenic run near New Braunfels is River Road between NB off TX 46(loop 337), running west along the Guadalupe River to Sattler. Sadly speed limits have been lowered to walking speed in recent years and patrolled by Comal County deputies on weekends heavily..but still a nice run.
river_road_map.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out Lime Creek road just outside of Austin. It's short, but it's a curvy son of a gun. The Butler map is your best resource for good roads in the Hill Country.

limecreekrd-1.jpeg

Excellent road following north shore of Lake Travis:thumb better mid week due to popularity...be very aware of speed limits approaching Cedar Park, Anderson Mill Road at top of map!
There are a few really tight drop corners that can catch you off guard,depending which direction you are running.

The ride is worth the trek , check out the view from the Oasis Restraunt/ complex decks right near the start off RM 620...food so so, the views very good. On bikes you can sometimes find up close parking.crazy on weekends in the Summer
http://oasis-austin.com/

From the Miata clubs site...more on top of Lime Creek run after getting to RM1431

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=389608

Post 7 has the map link for the big route...the map in the post is different than clicking on the Google link for me...it cut out Lime Creek?

Last edited:
Thank you!

try 55 north out of camp wood to barksdale then to rocksprings then onto junction. Between barksdale and rocksprings are some great hi speed sweepers and between rocksprings and junction some tighter curvies.
Hwy 16 between kerrville and bandera is fun and beautiful. And even has some hilly switchbacks.
Fm 2325 between wimberly and blanco
fm 165 between blanco and henly.
Fm 1323 off us 281 north of johnson city runs over to willow city and on to 16.

That's just a small sampling, i could spent all night trying to list all the good roads in that area. Try and get your hands on the butler map for texas. It has these and many more.

Thank you!

just a word of caution, some of the rm and rr state roads have sections of open range...cows often in road after dark.1323 definitely one of those.
I also hit a flash flooded low water crossing a week back after a front blew thru that you really could not see until on top of it. I reevaluated my night riding again after that boofoo on my part.:banghead
of course the ubiquitous white tail deer waiting for bikes.

Be careful after sunset!

For a scenic run near new braunfels is river road between nb off tx 46(loop 337), running west along the guadalupe river to sattler. Sadly speed limits have been lowered to walking speed in recent years and patrolled by comal county deputies on weekends heavily..but still a nice run.
View attachment 55508

Back