• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing the 2015 RT

markbmw

I have a 2015 RT and it is an amazing bike. But I do not find myself doing a lot of touring like I originally intended. Most of my riding is within a hour in any direction of my home. More surface streets then super highways. So I really have more bike than I need given its intended usage. Ergo, I plan on selling and getting a new bike.

It has come down to 2 bikes. S1000r or R9T. There is things I like about both. I have ridden both on the streets and they both have their strengths that make them unique. I know this is the "S1000" forum so I know your feedback will likely favor that bike, but I am open to thoughts and opinions about my decision.

At the same price-ish you get A LOT of technology and speed with the S1000r. With the R9T you get ABS and "cool factor". Seems like BMW puts a lot $$ value on "cool factor". I will likely never see a track. Most of my riding is on flat FL roads, with the desire to head out of the cities and hit some curvy stuff. Not sure I will use all the power the S can offer, but it is nice to know it is there when I want to walk away from traffic. Turning 47 this year, so I want comfort and FUN. Both fill the need in a different way

Thoughts/ Opinions? Suggestion?

I guess I would have to ride to be sure. I do like the R9T. From what I have been told, the liter bikes have been more expensive to insure but that may be factored out by your age :)
My F800 GS is got the full compliment of vario (black) bags and a TT tank (area) bag. When I feel like a different ride, I take all the bags off and roll without all the crap. It makes it seem like a whole different machine.
I have been staying away from the dealers so I don't end up with a decision like you are thinking of making :burnout
Good luck.
Gary

I did ride the RS and it was a nice option, but way to close to the RT in its core being that it does not justify a change. Take my bags off, turn off the radio and the bikes are pretty close. If the RS was out when I bought the RT, I might not have posted this thread.

I have a 2015 RT and it is an amazing bike. But I do not find myself doing a lot of touring like I originally intended. Most of my riding is within a hour in any direction of my home. More surface streets then super highways. So I really have more bike than I need given its intended usage. Ergo, I plan on selling and getting a new bike.

It has come down to 2 bikes. S1000r or R9T. There is things I like about both. I have ridden both on the streets and they both have their strengths that make them unique. I know this is the "S1000" forum so I know your feedback will likely favor that bike, but I am open to thoughts and opinions about my decision.

At the same price-ish you get A LOT of technology and speed with the S1000r. With the R9T you get ABS and "cool factor". Seems like BMW puts a lot $$ value on "cool factor". I will likely never see a track. Most of my riding is on flat FL roads, with the desire to head out of the cities and hit some curvy stuff. Not sure I will use all the power the S can offer, but it is nice to know it is there when I want to walk away from traffic. Turning 47 this year, so I want comfort and FUN. Both fill the need in a different way

Thoughts/ Opinions? Suggestion?

Having ridden the R9T at our dealer while taking our bikes in for service, I'd stick with our S1000XR. It is a better machine in every way except cool factor. That's before you actually start riding it. The quickshift is boon for anyone with arthritic hands (or pre-arthritic), then add all the amazing electronics. She can carve a corner like no tomorrow, and you can do so quite confidently as the electronics/technology is there to quietly step in and help when needed.

Ok, I ride an RT. However, in your deliberations you also might want to add the R1200 R to your line-up. Take one for a test ride, or better yet, see if you can rent each one for a day or week, and truly try them out. I did this last year on a two week tour of the alps. I rented a R1200 GS to try out, very nice bike, but it was not a sure (purchase) thing once I put two weeks on it. Although I didn't rule it out either.

Also, is it fair to assume that you're leaning towards the S 1000 R since this is where you posted your question?

If I were to put a second in the garage as a compliment to my '14 RT, it would be the XR or R12R. The XR is possibly the most addicting bike I have ever put any real miles on. The new R12R is equally as amazing, night and day difference from the previous gen. The R12R, in our showroom full of BMW and Ducati product, is fairly understated as it sits there. When you ride it you realize it's one of the sharpest knifes in a big drawer full of sharp knifes, it just has a bit plainer handle... go ride one!

Mark, my take on this is slightly different, to me it appears that most of your riding will be around Dunedin or within a 100-150 mile radius. That means other than stop-light to stop-light romps, 60-80% of what makes the S1000R special won't be as much use to you as if you were farther north. Doesn't mean you won't use / enjoy it, just that the majority of time will be spent on very flat roads with mostly 90•~ turns and perhaps 20-30% sweepers.

For me, I'd think (don't know) that I'd prefer the more relaxed, laid-back, of the R-nine-T or the R1200R. Really like the look of the white w/red frame.

I'm looking at riding my R1200RTW to Southern Florida (Delray Beach) in September and leaving it for the winter, but, like you the style/options of roads to ride within a 100-150 mile radius have me wondering. I'm currently in Delray Beach and actually driving over to Dunedin tomorrow morning to catch a Tampa Bay Devil Rays v Toronto Blue Jays ball game in the afternoon.

Having spent a reasonable amount of time in Southern Florida, for me, between all my bikes the sportiest, my Ducati ST3s would be waisted here (again, for me). I'd likely prefer to ride my R90S or Norton Commando. Not because they are less competent (they are, but that's not the reason), but because they are still quite enjoyable running along at 40-80mph and have a feel to them that transcends their abilities.

I think what you are looking for is the experience as much or more so than the technical part of the ride. Give some serious thought to which parts of that experience spectrum are most important to you , and keep riding. ;-)

BMW S1000R vs RNineT

Last year at one the local BMW motorcycle dealer's annual open house, I climbed onto an RNineT just prior to the day coming to an end. I had ridden all the bikes that I wanted to or was interested in and one of the mechanics who was going out for one last ride suggested that I get on the RNineT and join him. I initially said no as I couldn't imagine a motorcycle that was less to my liking (not from a style standpoint but from a riding purpose standpoint) but after a few more "come on's" I finally caved in. A smile came to my face with the initial firing up of the air-cooled engine which caused the bike to rock like an old warbird -- and again with each twist of the throttle. There's nothing to these bikes -- just engine, tank and wheels -- they are very minimalist.

We took off and went on a standard route that the dealership had set up for all rides that day that provided a bit of street, country and highway riding. The grin on my face continued to grow with each passing minute as the light bulb came on for me with regards to why this bike existed and why its riders would enjoy it. It is not an S1000R so if you're looking for an urban street racer then it's the wrong bike. But if you want a motorcycle that can take you back to the days when you first rode (I am 55 years young) and motorcycle design was its most purist, then this is the bike for you.

I've ridden numerous motorcycles in the past but none has put a smile on my face like the RNineT. If you're looking to go on leisurely rides within an hour of where you live on relatively decent roads, I have to believe the RNineT is at or near the top of your list. Good luck!

Kent

Back