• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Keyless Ride" I got me a "hard key"

bmwrich58

Legend in his own mind.
Got it today. List 21.89 part# I used 51-25-7-688-674
This is a "non-chipped hard key" used for the bags,seat,GPS.
image_zpsfa4tgqgm.jpeg

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
In a different thread, it was stated that these had to be back ordered to Deutschland. True?:scratch How long did it take, and how much? Thanks for posting.

First post... lurking here since buying my first BMW (R1200GSA) last April...

I did the same... ordered a "regular" key the first week I had the bike. The locks holding the panniers to the frames were so hard to turn, I thought I'd twist the key right off the pivot point on the FOB.

My dealer ordered the key for me for free!

In a different thread, it was stated that these had to be back ordered to Deutschland. True?:scratch How long did it take, and how much? Thanks for posting.

Coupla' weeks through the Dealer.
Prices reported by others on different Fourms range from "free to $19.00".

Some like myself don't have the RT model which has the auto locking feature of their bags.
And many do not have the alarm feature either.

The replacement cost alone is a big factor in having a hard key.
Many also report the fob as feeling very flimsy to use when unlocking bags,seat or GPS from its holder.

Coupla' weeks through the Dealer.
Prices reported by others on different Fourms range from "free to $19.00".

Some like myself don't have the RT model which has the auto locking feature of their bags.
And many do not have the alarm feature either.

The replacement cost alone is a big factor in having a hard key.
Many also report the fob as feeling very flimsy to use when unlocking bags,seat or GPS from its holder.

The blade does have some wiggle in the fob, but I have yet to see one actually break. Central locking and alarm are essentially one in the same from a configuration perspective, they can only be ordered from the factory together - not just one or the other. IIRC, any key for a NA unit can be cut at the central NA distribution center in NJ, but that may have changed.

The blade does have some wiggle in the fob, but I have yet to see one actually break.
The key fob for my VW Passat is quite similar to the key fob for my 2015 R1200GSA. Recently I accidentally dropped the VW fob with the key blade open and was shocked when the key blade fractured and broke right at the pivot. Thankfully I had a spare key fob for my car, but at my next service visit for the bike, I'll certainly order a spare hard key for it too. During my summer tour to Alaska, I found the pannier locks quite stiff due to dirt until they were cleaned during a regular service stop. I was concerned that the bike's key blade could break and leave me with no way to open the panniers. I doubt that the plastic "emergency" key could open the pannier locks if they get dirty again.

Don

Why would you need another key other than this one? Seems superfluous to me:

View attachment 55187

Because the attachment on the key fob is rather flimsy. My bike is currently riding around with the fob stuck in the seat lock because I'd rather take it to the dealer (Saturday, for it's 600 mile service) and let them deal with it rather than take the chance of breaking the key off in the lock. The locks on the bags that lock the bags to the bike were a bit stiff and I was reluctant to force the key with this design. That's not a bad price for a little extra insurance.

What's very difficult to comprehend is while BMW in the US supports the sale of non chipped spare keys, in Canada, BMW refuses to supply the keys and does everything in it's power to prevent the sale.

Has anyone had a chance to talk to BMW senior management to find out the basis for this policy? Clearly there is some internal policy that forces this behavior. Anyone who has spent more than an hour with a keyless bike and used the electronic fob in a stiff seat or pannier lock, knows that it's a break just waiting to happen. Most bikes are used for travels - and that's just what we need, a problem with the key when in the middle of no where.

At least with a second "hard key", the electronic fob can be kept in a waterproof bag, zipped in an inner pocket - safe as can be. The hard key can then do it's magic on GPS, seat and panniers. How difficult is it to comprehend that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's very difficult to comprehend is while BMW in the US supports the sale of non chipped spare keys, in Canada, BMW refuses to supply the keys and does everything in it's power to prevent the sale.

Has anyone had a chance to talk to BMW senior management to find out the basis for this policy? Clearly there is some internal policy that forces this behavior. Anyone who has spent more than an hour with a keyless bike and used the electronic fob in a stiff seat or pannier lock, knows that it's a break just waiting to happen. Most bikes are used for travels - and that's just what we need, a problem with the key when in the middle of no where.

At least with a second "hard key", the electronic fob can be kept in a waterproof bag, zipped in an inner pocket - safe as can be. The hard key can then do it's magic on GPS, seat and panniers. How difficult is it to comprehend that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you been able to order a key? I am interested in getting a spare as well. Any idea as to cost?

I ordered two from my dealer, as others have said non chipped, will work on locks only
Keys are cut by factory and are specific to your VIN number
BMW requires you prove you own the bike and provide a drivers lic.
About 3 weeks from order till keys arrived
Parts manager has gotten many requests for these keys since the 1600 and 1200 forums have brought up the issue of breaking keyfob
I went so far as to tape mine closed and only use the key

Eurosport in Asheville NC had mine in house from the phone order, in just about 10 days. Key came from factory and dealer indicated Germany views the key request as a priority in case of actual problem. About $20. No rush shipping fee at all. Good stuff this new easy to handle key.
Travel'n john

Asked my dealer to order me an additional key. He came up with the plastic key for $60! I gave him the stock number from above; he had never heard of it. He of course needed my VIN, registration and license in order to order. When I got the new key it was cut wrong (how can that happen given the VIN?). He says he is looking into the problem, but no response in 2 weeks even after my calls. I sent him pictures to compare cuts, and I finally sent the wrong key back for reorder or refund. Still waiting! :dance

Asked my dealer to order me an additional key. He came up with the plastic key for $60! I gave him the stock number from above; he had never heard of it. He of course needed my VIN, registration and license in order to order. When I got the new key it was cut wrong (how can that happen given the VIN?). He says he is looking into the problem, but no response in 2 weeks even after my calls. I sent him pictures to compare cuts, and I finally sent the wrong key back for reorder or refund. Still waiting! :dance

I'm afraid you have a lazy dealer...:dunno

Kinda went through the same thing - the plastic key came from BMW with a bad cut (OK on one side but the other was trash - would not fit at all).

Then ran the stock number from above (it was news to them, but at least they were able to process order) - had the hard key within a week, and refund from the dealer for the bad plastic key.

FINALLY received my re-ordered key and it works :dance No explanation for why the first one didn't work.

The blade does have some wiggle in the fob, but I have yet to see one actually break. Central locking and alarm are essentially one in the same from a configuration perspective, they can only be ordered from the factory together - not just one or the other. IIRC, any key for a NA unit can be cut at the central NA distribution center in NJ, but that may have changed.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just wanted to chime in and let you know I just broke my key yesterday....2016 R1200RT and I've only had it for about 3 weeks. At the advice of the thread, I had ordered spare hard keys when I got the bike...but I haven't picked them up. The break was my fault, but it was easy to do. I was attaching my phone in the right side storage pouch on to the USB plug to charge, and wasn't paying enough attention I guess. I turned the handlebars to put the bike up on it's center stand before I removed the key from the lock and the key bent right where it connects to silver part of the fob that flips out. I'm trying to JB weld it back on but I don't have high hopes!

I am waiting for the first critter who invents a way to get rid of this flocking keyless fob, and put me back a couple of regressive tech years into a a key-in-my-hand to start my bike...and open the gas tank...and lock bags.

I say NO to keyless gadgetry. That is like a stupid modern tech idea.

Further rant: how lazy can we get? I mean, you have to push the daaamn button with your finger, how far is that from inserting a key? and what about the paranoia of not knowing if the keyless will work, or the batt on the fob punks out while you are in the middle of nowhere. Is my getting out of the bear country before sundown gonna be dependent on that little black-magic plastic key?

Just another piece to complicate the puzzle of a motorcycle and chance function by giving control to a computer.

No thank you, I rather have a key.

Back