• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Keyless Ride" I got me a "hard key"

This is what I was confused about with that 'metal key search'. I thought there is something inside that plastic key (a chip?) that is an electronic gizmo that allows you to start the bike.

I don't much see the point of all the effort it takes to get an extra key that don't start the engine. If you loose your key and you have that wacky metal spare, you might be able to rescue your cigarettes from the saddle bag; but then, you are still stuck on the road, aintcha?

I can see the convenience of having a spare key to that will only open the panniers and storage compartments. Also, if you put the plastic key in a locked compartment, you could open that compartment with the metal key to get to the plastic key.

FWIW, I always carry the inexpensive non-chip key as a backup for a lockout. It is a bit more difficult with the European side cut keys.
Lose a key or expensive “all in one” $300 fob? Go buy a new one and make it show up :hungover
OM

Like most of you, I have one transponder keyfob and one spare plastic key with a chip in it. I have been reluctant to use the plastic key because I don't want to break it. So, I have been trying to get a spare metal key.

First, I tried to buy some keyblanks from eBay and Amazon. I got the blanks for about $7 each, but I could not find a local locksmith with the correct equipment to cut them. But, I did have success ordering a spare metal key from A&S Cycles for about $35. I needed to supply my VIN, and the order took about a month. So, now I have two ways to start the bike: the transponder fob and the spare plastic chip-key. And I have a robust extra key for use with the luggage. Nice. BMW Part Number 51257688674

Cap

View attachment 71270

Alright! you guys talked me into it. I am ordering one spare key for the compartments. Thanks for the good logic!

I ordered one from my local dealer (Jürgen Motors). Cost about $493 mxn (about $25 usd). I ordered it in August, paid in advance and I am still waiting.

The primary motivation for me was that I don't like the feel of opening the seat or side cases with either the fob key or the plastic key. It feels like too much torque for either.

I ordered one from my local dealer (Jürgen Motors). Cost about $493 mxn (about $25 usd). I ordered it in August, paid in advance and I am still waiting.

The primary motivation for me was that I don't like the feel of opening the seat or side cases with either the fob key or the plastic key. It feels like too much torque for either.

I ordered a non-chip key on Wednesday. Arrived at the dealer on Friday.

Maybe Guardalajara and Germany don't have diplomatic relationships anymore...forgive me Lord, I just couldn't help that one

I think this would be a good time for all of us that has “hidden” a key on their bike...............to see if they can still find it :brad
OM

I am in San Diego. And I can confirm, nothing like this happens in two days in Mexico. :)
Partly prompted by this thread, I stopped at the dealer yesterday to see if they had heard anything about the key and another part that I ordered in August. It turns out they had them. They had just never bothered to tell me. It looks like the key was shipped from Germany about 2 weeks after I ordered it in August. I can't tell when the other part (a trim piece replacing the sport screen that I removed) came in. It wasn't two days, but it probably was less than two months.

Ordered mine from Max BMW last Friday and should have it some time this week. :dance

Update: Received mine on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Back