Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Keyless Ride" I got me a "hard key"

Legend in his own mind.

"Keyless Ride" I got me a "hard key"

Got it today. List 21.89 part# I used 51-25-7-688-674
    This is a "non-chipped hard key" used for the bags,seat,GPS.

Last edited by bmwrich58; 03-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Retired User
    In a different thread, it was stated that these had to be back ordered to Deutschland. True? How long did it take, and how much? Thanks for posting.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    2015 R1200RT

Why would you need another key other than this one? Seems superfluous to me:

IMG_2427.jpg
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

First post... lurking here since buying my first BMW (R1200GSA) last April...

I did the same... ordered a "regular" key the first week I had the bike. The locks holding the panniers to the frames were so hard to turn, I thought I'd twist the key right off the pivot point on the FOB.

My dealer ordered the key for me for free!

Legend in his own mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    In a different thread, it was stated that these had to be back ordered to Deutschland. True? How long did it take, and how much? Thanks for posting.
    Coupla' weeks through the Dealer.
    Prices reported by others on different Fourms range from "free to $19.00".

Some like myself don't have the RT model which has the auto locking feature of their bags.
    And many do not have the alarm feature either.

The replacement cost alone is a big factor in having a hard key.
    Many also report the fob as feeling very flimsy to use when unlocking bags,seat or GPS from its holder.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrich58 View Post
    Coupla' weeks through the Dealer.
    Prices reported by others on different Fourms range from "free to $19.00".

Some like myself don't have the RT model which has the auto locking feature of their bags.
    And many do not have the alarm feature either.

The replacement cost alone is a big factor in having a hard key.
    Many also report the fob as feeling very flimsy to use when unlocking bags,seat or GPS from its holder.
    The blade does have some wiggle in the fob, but I have yet to see one actually break. Central locking and alarm are essentially one in the same from a configuration perspective, they can only be ordered from the factory together - not just one or the other. IIRC, any key for a NA unit can be cut at the central NA distribution center in NJ, but that may have changed.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    The blade does have some wiggle in the fob, but I have yet to see one actually break.
    The key fob for my VW Passat is quite similar to the key fob for my 2015 R1200GSA. Recently I accidentally dropped the VW fob with the key blade open and was shocked when the key blade fractured and broke right at the pivot. Thankfully I had a spare key fob for my car, but at my next service visit for the bike, I'll certainly order a spare hard key for it too. During my summer tour to Alaska, I found the pannier locks quite stiff due to dirt until they were cleaned during a regular service stop. I was concerned that the bike's key blade could break and leave me with no way to open the panniers. I doubt that the plastic "emergency" key could open the pannier locks if they get dirty again.

Don
    2015 BMW R1200GSA.......2008 Kaw Concours 14......1974 Kaw Z1
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE....2004 BWM R1150RT..........1973 Kaw H1
    2010 Kaw Concours 14......1981 Kaw KZ1000

Quote Originally Posted by donmoe View Post
    Thankfully I had a spare key fob for my car, but at my next service visit for the bike, I'll certainly order a spare hard key for it too.

Don
    Why wait?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Why wait?
    I just made an appointment at my home dealership and will order the key then.

Don
    2015 BMW R1200GSA.......2008 Kaw Concours 14......1974 Kaw Z1
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE....2004 BWM R1150RT..........1973 Kaw H1
    2010 Kaw Concours 14......1981 Kaw KZ1000

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Why would you need another key other than this one? Seems superfluous to me:

IMG_2427.jpg
    Because the attachment on the key fob is rather flimsy. My bike is currently riding around with the fob stuck in the seat lock because I'd rather take it to the dealer (Saturday, for it's 600 mile service) and let them deal with it rather than take the chance of breaking the key off in the lock. The locks on the bags that lock the bags to the bike were a bit stiff and I was reluctant to force the key with this design. That's not a bad price for a little extra insurance.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

What's very difficult to comprehend is while BMW in the US supports the sale of non chipped spare keys, in Canada, BMW refuses to supply the keys and does everything in it's power to prevent the sale.

Has anyone had a chance to talk to BMW senior management to find out the basis for this policy? Clearly there is some internal policy that forces this behavior. Anyone who has spent more than an hour with a keyless bike and used the electronic fob in a stiff seat or pannier lock, knows that it's a break just waiting to happen. Most bikes are used for travels - and that's just what we need, a problem with the key when in the middle of no where.

At least with a second "hard key", the electronic fob can be kept in a waterproof bag, zipped in an inner pocket - safe as can be. The hard key can then do it's magic on GPS, seat and panniers. How difficult is it to comprehend that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemaycga View Post
    What's very difficult to comprehend is while BMW in the US supports the sale of non chipped spare keys, in Canada, BMW refuses to supply the keys and does everything in it's power to prevent the sale.

Has anyone had a chance to talk to BMW senior management to find out the basis for this policy? Clearly there is some internal policy that forces this behavior. Anyone who has spent more than an hour with a keyless bike and used the electronic fob in a stiff seat or pannier lock, knows that it's a break just waiting to happen. Most bikes are used for travels - and that's just what we need, a problem with the key when in the middle of no where.

At least with a second "hard key", the electronic fob can be kept in a waterproof bag, zipped in an inner pocket - safe as can be. The hard key can then do it's magic on GPS, seat and panniers. How difficult is it to comprehend that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Have you been able to order a key? I am interested in getting a spare as well. Any idea as to cost?
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

I ordered two from my dealer, as others have said non chipped, will work on locks only
    Keys are cut by factory and are specific to your VIN number
    BMW requires you prove you own the bike and provide a drivers lic.
    About 3 weeks from order till keys arrived
    Parts manager has gotten many requests for these keys since the 1600 and 1200 forums have brought up the issue of breaking keyfob
    I went so far as to tape mine closed and only use the key

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up

Eurosport in Asheville NC had mine in house from the phone order, in just about 10 days. Key came from factory and dealer indicated Germany views the key request as a priority in case of actual problem. About $20. No rush shipping fee at all. Good stuff this new easy to handle key.
    Travel'n john

Asked my dealer to order me an additional key. He came up with the plastic key for $60! I gave him the stock number from above; he had never heard of it. He of course needed my VIN, registration and license in order to order. When I got the new key it was cut wrong (how can that happen given the VIN?). He says he is looking into the problem, but no response in 2 weeks even after my calls. I sent him pictures to compare cuts, and I finally sent the wrong key back for reorder or refund. Still waiting!
    Karl
    2016 R1200RT-LC San Marino Blue (The Alien)
    2008 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic (Wife's)
    2014 1600 GTL Gray-Traded; 2011 R1200RT Black/Silver-Traded