• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Source for battery for 1983 R100RS

217don

Any suggestions for a source for a battery for the 1983 R100RS? Local BMW dealer has batteries but they are taller than the original and the tool tray won't seat properly.

The reversed polarity is because of the position of the terminals vs the terminals on the 925. Get the 925L so the wires don't have to be "stretched."

I recently put a WestCo AGM sealed battery in my '83 R100RS. I got it from Euromotoelectrics.

I'm using the Deka ETX30L as well. A little taller and a little narrower than the OEM battery. The narrower part makes it MUCH easier to squeeze into the frame. The little bit taller hasn't hurt anything. The seat still latches without toolbox issues. Much cheaper than an Odyssey 925L. I've been to the plant and like the way they are made.

WestCo 12V30

I have a WestCo 12V30 from my local, independent BMW mechanic for my 83 R100RS. Fits perfect; polarity is correct and I have previously gotten by without charging it over a multi-month hibernation period. I do not remember what I paid for it but I do remember NOT being disappointed with the price.

I love these Panasonic batteries. Price is right and it fits my "83 RT.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2FYIG6FTKY6IY&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

+1 That Panasonic is great in the Airheads using the larger 28 AH battery. Westco used to sell these with their label pasted on, but a few years back they switched sources and the issues of failed Westco batteries started popping up on the forums. My Airheads with that Panasonic battery (LC-X1228P) run on it for SIX years, and then I usually replace them just as a proactive measure. At six years the Panasonic is still holding 12.8 volts at rest.

I tried to get a Westco battery locally (buy local) but could not get one so ordered it from Matt Norman at Euromotoelectrics. Pleasure to do business with him - battery was here in two days. Slipped right in. Only caveat is that it is a shade taller (maybe 1/8") than the original BMW battery that came out and the metal hold down bar that runs across the top of the battery and secures it in place has to be turned upside down for the knurled nuts to work. I will probably have to fashion a piece of flat steel to use. But other than that seems fine. Thanks for the advice on the forum.

+1 That Panasonic is great in the Airheads using the larger 28 AH battery. Westco used to sell these with their label pasted on, but a few years back they switched sources and the issues of failed Westco batteries started popping up on the forums. My Airheads with that Panasonic battery (LC-X1228P) run on it for SIX years, and then I usually replace them just as a proactive measure. At six years the Panasonic is still holding 12.8 volts at rest.

+2 on the Panasonic. I keep thinking it's time to replace it but after 8 years (a lot of it just sitting but maintained) my Panasonic LC-1228P still cranks my 82 R100RS over just fine. Amazed really...

Back