• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'16 GS water crossing prep?

PittsDriver

Fuse lit....
When we did the TAT last year on KLRs we encountered many water crossings that came up to the axles and a few, one in particular that covered the wheels. The KLRs handled it fine with ne'er a hiccup. When I bought my '16 GS I asked the dealer about how deep the water could be handled on the bike. He's a very seasoned adv guy and he said "up to the axles" was about all he would try.

Now, I'm looking at the Touratech catalog that just came in the mail and there's a kit in there to extend the FD vent to a higher place so that it won't suck in water. Doh! Clearly there's more to water prep than I know so I'm asking the question here if anyone can provide a detailed list of all the things that must be done to prep a GSW for deep water and even then, what's the deepest water that can be done without too much risk of drowning it or contaminating vital bits. I'm not asking to do something extreme like extended snorkels to submarine it - just deep water up over, say, the cylinders. Can it be prepped and done?

I've searched the forum and all the advice I've found is mainly about riding technique for crossing, maybe a few comments about intake snorkels, but nothing comprehensive. That makes me go hmmmm....

Here's an example of a crossing we did on the KLRs. Would you do this on a GSW?

https://youtu.be/3zy_YJMMs0Y

https://youtu.be/RJmBFjp1j7U

I've scene video's of GS's doing the above
If it my bike the answer is NO
Much heavier bike, electronics galore
Remember a KLR is a cockroach and can't be killed
But if you do it take video, we gotta see the results

The downside of BMW adding the vent around 2012? to the FD was it is low and looks like an easy egress for stream crossings. If you regularly splash in puddles that deep, raising the vent with an extension tube would be up on the list.

As shown in JVB's rear spline lube he posted the other day...water will get around the plastic seal of the swingarm boot eventually...either from an extended submersion or using the high pressure wand that folks love to do. Dropping the drive will not increase the odds if done correctly to check things out on occasion. It used to be the only way to drain the drives. Have seen some pristine ones and some really rusted ones on first inspection.

Have crossed a couple with water right at lower edge of jugs...not something I do if avoidable. My days of doing that on a big GSA are very rare if at all anymore.

Folks do it and there are videos to prove it, but it's a heavy bike when it parallels the stream bed as it takes a nap and water is sucked into the snorkle until it dies...right Bob?:stick Then it is kinda ugly as you will have about twelve qts. of gravy in your engine where oil used to be.

A lot of electronics as mentioned...risk/reward of riding a tanker.

Here's an example of a crossing we did on the KLRs. Would you do this on a GSW?

https://youtu.be/3zy_YJMMs0Y

https://youtu.be/RJmBFjp1j7U

Yes, look where your air intakes are on that bike... way up high.

A crossing this deep on an older model would take water in.

It's recommended to change the rear drive lube after prolonged submersion, thank goodness now that's easier to do. I had a "lifetime fill" rear drive..... :rolleyes

Also recommended are the right tires, the bottoms of those puddles are slick, your bike weighs way more than a KLR and it would suck to get stuck in the middle of one of those puddles.

Ian

Yes, look where your air intakes are on that bike... way up high.

A crossing this deep on an older model would take water in.

Ian

I forget the intakes are a bit higher on the Wetheads...keep movin' and don't porpoise into a hole:ha

Back