• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 GS Low Suspension Side Stand and lean

TVarney

Does anyone have any suggestions on resolving the issue of the steep angle when the low suspension model is on the side stand? I've noted that I need to be extra careful when parking on the side stand as the bike is at such a high angle it seems very unstable. I am seeking a side stand that increases the lean of the bike.

I've found adjustable side stands, such as "The SideKicker" offering a +1", +2", +3". However, I want the opposite, ie -1" to increase the lean of the bike.

Any insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks.

Thomas

Does anyone have any suggestions on resolving the issue of the steep angle when the low suspension model is on the side stand? I've noted that I need to be extra careful when parking on the side stand as the bike is at such a high angle it seems very unstable. I am seeking a side stand that increases the lean of the bike.

I've found adjustable side stands, such as "The SideKicker" offering a +1", +2", +3". However, I want the opposite, ie -1" to increase the lean of the bike.

Thanks.

Thomas

Can't help with what you're looking for, but I'd simply make an observation. I have a factory-lowered '15 GSA as well, but I've never noticed the lean angle on the sidestand as being "precarious".

Several people have had the same problem with the R1200RS. I fixed it by grinding a bit off the stop for the stand: this allows the stand to swing further forward and the bike to lean over more. I used an angle grinder, took it bit by bit, A 15-minute fix.

Can't help with what you're looking for, but I'd simply make an observation. I have a factory-lowered '15 GSA as well, but I've never noticed the lean angle on the sidestand as being "precarious".

I have low GS and GSA's in line with standards on my floor, all present with same degree of lean on the side stand...

Also have a 15'GSA with lowering kit. I'm not sure to what degree your bike maybe angled, have your
dealer look at it first.
2nd you do not want your bike to perpendicular, or upright, because it could fall the other way, as my
last Triumph explorer did, and because the bike is top heavy, I was parking on a slight incline, so
with the kick stand down, and due to hill angle and how it pushed the bike more upward when parked, it tipped over the other side, when I returned.. wow. :banghead

Also, check with Altrider, they make a footstand for the stock lowered GSA/ kick stand, that will give the bike a more solid platform as well as bringing the bike a tad upward. Mine works great.

Side stand

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying you want the bike to lean over more because it is too close to upright or do you want to raise the angle because it looks like it is going to fall over on the left side?:scratch

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying you want the bike to lean over more because it is too close to upright or do you want to raise the angle because it looks like it is going to fall over on the left side?:scratch

The bike is too close to being upright.

Thanks.

Thomas

So, here is my update. I went over to Morton's BMW and found out that there are two part numbers for the side stand. One for the low suspension and one for the "normal" GS. They believe my GS may have been manufactured with the "normal" side stand rather than the low suspension side stand thus creating a situation where the bike is too upright and ready to fall over with the slightest breeze. Will keep you posted and thanks for the insights.

So, here is my update. I went over to Morton's BMW and found out that there are two part numbers for the side stand. One for the low suspension and one for the "normal" GS. They believe my GS may have been manufactured with the "normal" side stand rather than the low suspension side stand thus creating a situation where the bike is too upright and ready to fall over with the slightest breeze. Will keep you posted and thanks for the insights.

Problem solved and do I fill like an idiot...no that's IDIOT.

I took the bike back to Morton's and they were most helpful. We did some research and measured the side stand of a floor model low suspension and my low suspension. Same length.

Played around a little more and noted that if I select 2 up or 1 up with luggage it adjusts the spring height. By making this adjustment, we were able to get the bike leaning properly. In the 1 up, the spring height creates the "I am about to tip over." Of course, now my challenge is flat footing with the 2 up or 1 up with luggage :)

I guess I am just too old for this push button technology on the new models.

Thanks to everyone for their insights and thoughts - much appreciated.

Still seems a bitter odd to me. My factory-lowered '15 GSA always has the pre-load on the ESA set to solo (one-rider), and I don't have any qualms about putting it on the side stand. That's not to say that you don't, but do you really feel that it's going to fall over?

Still seems a bitter odd to me. My factory-lowered '15 GSA always has the pre-load on the ESA set to solo (one-rider), and I don't have any qualms about putting it on the side stand. That's not to say that you don't, but do you really feel that it's going to fall over?

Mark: Yes and bigger than Stuttgart it's tipped twice on me. First time I was at work and came out to find it blown over. The second time I was merely unloading a pannier...it was just enough to tip it. But the solution of selecting 2 up or 1 up with luggage has definitely helped alleviate the issue.

Thanks.

Thomas

Thanks.

Thomas

Hello TVarney, I recently acquired a used lowered RT. It had the same problem; it would stand nearly vertical when on the side stand and it felt very precarious. I shortened the side stand. I first measured the length by running the bike up on different thickness of planks of wood and put it on the side stand. In my case 5/8" board gave it the right amount of lean. Then simply remove side stand, take it to a welder, have him cut the foot pad off, cut off 5/8" of the stand and weld foot back on. Much more secure when parking. I suppose you could take the bike to the welder and do the work with the stand still on the bike but not sure if that is safe for electrical system so opted to remove stand for the welding.

I took the bike back to Morton's and they were most helpful. We did some research and measured the side stand of a floor model low suspension and my low suspension. Same length.

Played around a little more and noted that if I select 2 up or 1 up with luggage it adjusts the spring height. By making this adjustment, we were able to get the bike leaning properly. In the 1 up, the spring height creates the "I am about to tip over." Of course, now my challenge is flat footing with the 2 up or 1 up with luggage :)

QUOTE]

None of that sounds right to me... Not knocking Morton's, used to work there - very solid crew who I have nothing but absolute respect for. The whole suspension is lower, seems to me the side stand would have to be shorter too (the center stands are). I have factory standard and low model GS and GSA's on my floor (and have had all 4 as personal demo bikes) and I have never noticed the phenomenon you are experiencing. You shouldn't have to compensate by over loading your pre-load... that completely defeats the purpose of the Dynamic ESA.

I'll dig into this a little for you. Just got back from vaca, facing end of month sprint and a big pile on my desk to get through... please email me and remind me to take a few minutes and look into this for you if I haven't circled back by Tuesday afternoon. greg.north@bmw-ducati.com

Here is what I found:

If you measure the shaft of the side stand from the bend to the foot, the 3 different side stands used on the 4 models (explained below) of standard and low GS and GSA's look to be very similar. If you measure from the pivot bolt to the floor, there are clear differences between the three. I didn't have the time to measure any other variables like shaft angle, or differences in the works above the shaft bend...

There are 3 different side stands:
46538526526: Standard Suspension GSA
46538526525: Standard Suspension GS
46538558117: Low Suspension GS & GSA (both models have same suspension height)

I have all four bikes in line, in sight as I type this, and their parked lean with the suspensions set to one-up pre-load, are significantly similar and quite ample. If it were me, I would visit Stuart again, and ask him to confirm the part number of the actual stand that is on your bike, is correct. It sounds to me like you got a stand for a standard, on a low suspension bike.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would visit Stuart again, and ask him to confirm the part number of the actual stand that is on your bike, is correct. It sounds to me like you got a stand for a standard, on a low suspension bike.

If they find that the stand is the correct part #, I would suggest they examine the suspension next... there should be ample/very stable lean when parked.

For the record, the same issue occurs on my 2014 GSA with a standard suspension. I had 3 GS and 2 GSAs prior to this, so I'm pretty familiar with how they should sit, and the 2014 is definitely waaay too upright when using the sidestand - it almost sits vertical. Just a very minor incline would cause it to topple over to the right.

As it's a standard suspension, there is no chance it has the wrong part number for the kickstand. But reading thru this post I see there's a different kickstand for the low suspension, which should be shorter. I will probably try ordering one to see if it helps.

Side-note - AKS Engineering makes a new adjustable SideKicker that now has an option for ½" shorter than OEM sidestand length which would in theory solve my problem. But their foot base is only 35% bigger than the stock BMW, and it's still too small for me when offroading here in Florida - we have sand everywhere... the thing would topple over (this time on the left...) without my Touratech larger foot pad...

Old thread but I'll throw in my $0.02 as well. I have a factory lowered GSA and short legs (29" inseam) so changing to one helmet + luggage isn't a good option. If there's any slope, I make a point of putting the sidestand on the downhill side. You can turn the bars to the left for added security, plus straightening them helps pull the bike upright. The angle grinder trick will work but it will also make the bike harder to stand up if you're vertically challenged to begin with.

Back