• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Two Questions!

Will be picking up my 2016 RT in the next few weeks :clap:twirl(still have over a foot of snow here!) and am curious about a few things! What is the capacity of the side cases (Panniers?) and does the wethead have an oil cooler in addition to the liquid cooling rads?:ca

Panniers on my 2015 RT seem about 20% larger than those on my 2008 RT. I'm using the RKA liners from my 2008 and there's still a lot of room in the hard cases.

As to cooling, I find that there's a lot of heat which seems to come from the LH radiator (the one without a fan), but not as much from the RH radiator. Odd but not a problem.

You're going to love it a lot Crusty.

Panniers on my 2015 RT seem about 20% larger than those on my 2008 RT. I'm using the RKA liners from my 2008 and there's still a lot of room in the hard cases.

As to cooling, I find that there's a lot of heat which seems to come from the LH radiator (the one without a fan), but not as much from the RH radiator. Odd but not a problem.

You're going to love it a lot Crusty.
John, I believe that is because coolant flows through the left rad first and then to the right-side rad (w/fan) from the left one, if I'm reading this BMW graphic correctly.
R1200RTW - Liquid cooling diagram.jpg
Initially, I'd thought they were using the wrong orientation, but then it donned on me that what they are doing is allowing the passive cooling of both the left and right rads to do there work and only require the fan intervention after the passive capacity has been reached. At least, that's my take on things, and I like the design.

Crusty, congrats on the new bike, I'll be picking my "new-to-me" (916km) RTW just west of Toronto once the weather gets away from the real possibility of snow between there and my ride home to Nova Scotia. ;-) I'm sure you're just like me and have very itchy feet right now.

Great responses guys! GMan-the illustration shows hot coolant entering at the bottom of the left rad! Usually hot coolant enters at the top and exits from the bottom! Fanigly point but I am at work and very bored right now! Yes Alan-very excited about my first Beemer! Having an early spring here but so far only have the VIN# and the dealer said the bike should be in any time! Awsum weather here but the long range shows a bit of a cool down for the next 2 weeks so I think mother nature is messing with me!:ca

John, I believe that is because coolant flows through the left rad first and then to the right-side rad (w/fan) from the left one, if I'm reading this BMW graphic correctly.

Alan - I like that graphic a lot. It does explain the greater heat on the LH side. Thanks - JG

Interesting. I moved from a 1200RT to a '15 GSA in November. I have noticed additional heat on my boot with the wethead, but it's on the right side, not the left side.

Had to take both left and right upper panels off to confirm
NO oil cooler insight, I never would have thought
Water is a more efficient cooling medium than oil so typically you'll only get an oil-cooler on a water-cooler engine that is doing "severe-duty beyond the ability of the water radiator capacity available. Normally a packaging problem in not being able to economically fit sufficient water-cooling.

Not only does the RTW not have an oil-cooler, but by going to water-cooling (and larger rads/coolers) it has increased the "non-air" cooling by over 50% from the previous models 22% cooling by oil to the RTW's 35% cooling by water. Because water is a more efficient cooler, BMW was able to generate more power while reducing fuel consumption and reducing emissions. All good in my books. Some may not like it, but we've always got great Cam/Hex/Oil/Airheads to fall back on it we wish.

My 650 V-Strom is liquid cooled and has an oil cooler as well! I consider it extra insurance as oil is the lifeblood of an engine! Would have thought BMW would include it!:ca

My 650 V-Strom is liquid cooled and has an oil cooler as well! I consider it extra insurance as oil is the lifeblood of an engine! Would have thought BMW would include it!:ca

Some of the K bikes have oil coolers. My K1300S has a cooler as did my K1200RS.

Crusty - Not to cut into your style, but exclamation points lose their meaning if over-used. Just sayin...

Back