Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help - how to connect my stuff to a new R1200RT

Even with quality GMS radios I could never get good bike-to-bike communications with my Autocom. The Sena units work great for that.

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNNOR View Post
    Thank you Alan, after hearing from you and the others, I'm pretty well convinced the Sena is the way to go. So just so I'm clear on this, what functionality do you give up on the RT by not having the BMW comm system? Really appreciate your detailed response. Do you run an RD and your phone and an IPod for music? And do your listen to the XM radio? I've heard the on board BMW 2.0 Bluetooth is pretty bad quality wise compared to the current 4.0 that Sena and others use now.
    John
    John, I'm not the best person to answer that, as I've just bought my RTW and haven't taken physical possession of it yet, just psychological and emotional possession. ;-)))

It may well be that there isn't any functionality loss, but others here should know for sure.

My current bike's that I ride most are a 2004 R1150RT and a 2006 Ducati ST3s. Despite the Ducati being marketed as and doing a fairly good job of being a competent touring bike it is really geared far more to the sport end of a Sports Tourer than the touring end. For me the ergonomics are fine for my back and knees but my hands go numb after an hour or so (broke both wrists years ago at the track which is likely at the root of the problem).

With the R1150RT I've run with a 2-way Radio (for communication with a car in our group), rider-to-rider and GPS all at the same time without issues. I don't listen to music (nor XM) when I ride the bike other than the engine/exhaust, so no first-hand experience there, but understand that works fine with all the others. I listen to music and XM when I drive a cage, but that's it. Just my personal preference.

As far as sound quality goes, the Sena SMH10 is fine for my needs but as mentioned, I don't listen to music through it so can't comment directly. However, the newer 10S and 20S have what are supposed to be quite noticeably improved speakers and they, plus the SMH10, all will handle earbuds if they're not to one's liking. I've set mine up with the mounts which allow me to run either so that if I decide I want to go to earbuds I can by simply plugging them into the jack on the mount. The beauty of that is that you then have your full communications system available every time you put your helmet on without having to remember or pre-think anything and if you wish to have the quality of the earbuds you just need to remember to plug them in and your set to go. To me, that's the best of both worlds.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

My '14 R1200RT is now up and running with the 20S. Everything works as expected, so far.

I will need to spend some time with it before I pass judgment, but one thing seems to be for sure: I purchased the handlebar remote and, well, I just do not like it! It would seem the intent (to be safer) is not achieved with the way it mounts. I find it in the way. Anybody else use one?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    John, I'm not the best person to answer that, as I've just bought my RTW and haven't taken physical possession of it yet, just psychological and emotional possession. ;-)))

It may well be that there isn't any functionality loss, but others here should know for sure.

My current bike's that I ride most are a 2004 R1150RT and a 2006 Ducati ST3s. Despite the Ducati being marketed as and doing a fairly good job of being a competent touring bike it is really geared far more to the sport end of a Sports Tourer than the touring end. For me the ergonomics are fine for my back and knees but my hands go numb after an hour or so (broke both wrists years ago at the track which is likely at the root of the problem).

With the R1150RT I've run with a 2-way Radio (for communication with a car in our group), rider-to-rider and GPS all at the same time without issues. I don't listen to music (nor XM) when I ride the bike other than the engine/exhaust, so no first-hand experience there, but understand that works fine with all the others. I listen to music and XM when I drive a cage, but that's it. Just my personal preference.

As far as sound quality goes, the Sena SMH10 is fine for my needs but as mentioned, I don't listen to music through it so can't comment directly. However, the newer 10S and 20S have what are supposed to be quite noticeably improved speakers and they, plus the SMH10, all will handle earbuds if they're not to one's liking. I've set mine up with the mounts which allow me to run either so that if I decide I want to go to earbuds I can by simply plugging them into the jack on the mount. The beauty of that is that you then have your full communications system available every time you put your helmet on without having to remember or pre-think anything and if you wish to have the quality of the earbuds you just need to remember to plug them in and your set to go. To me, that's the best of both worlds.
    On the Ducati try Buddy Grips for your hands. They work now for me.

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNNOR View Post
    Thank you for that information into the Cardo units. Are you using the Cardo unit that fits into the helmet neck liner or is yours one of the Sena type units that attach on the outside of the helmet? BTW, are you using a Shuberth helmet? If so, how do you like it?
    John
    I am using a Cardo G9 fitted to a Shoei Neotech. My friend Richard is using the Schuberth helmet with collar.

Both of us like our helmets. Both of us like to listen to music while we ride. The intercom between bikes is a continuing problem though, although I think I know why, and it has nothing to do with the G9 or collar electronics.

I have a Nav V GPS Samsung Galaxy S5 and everything works by the book. Richard has an iPhone and uses it for music and GPS too. When I try to call him on the road, we have trouble connecting. He says his music cuts off and does not restart. Volume is low in my headset so I can't hear him. Yet, when we stop for gas and I call him or he calls me, the connection is perfect. I think he turns off the music, or the GPS, or both and all is well.

He is not as amenable as I am to the "one purpose, one device" approach. I use the memory stick and BMW Audio system for music, a GPS for GPS, and a phone for phone uses. The cardo has two independent Bluetooth radios, so does the BMW audio system and this allows the required connection capability.

I don't think the iPhone has enough Blutooth radios to permit the type of flexibility needed and so inter-bike communication is the throw-away.

I will try to get him to experiment, but ...

This whole subject of integration of our electronic devices is very poorly described by each and every one of the manufacturers as far as I can tell. It's very hard even for me to find clear and simple statements about all this. The manufacturers seem to not want us to understand how their products work, and this prevents us from knowing which system element is causing our distress.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/