• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Preferences for a '15 or '16 RT?

RUNNOR

Evening everyone,
I'm shopping for either a used 2015 RT or a new 2016 RT. Thinking about a '15 just to save some cash. I presently ride a 2010 RT and a 2003 K1200RS, and will be selling. or trading in, my 2010. I'd appreciate any of your thoughts on the merits of '15 versus a '16. Are there any appreciable differences I should be considering? By the way, its not easy to find a low mileage '15.
Thanks for your advice
john

hmmm, why bother with a 2015 or 2016 in today's economy unless you have lots of disposable cash. why not go with a 2014 as that is the year that you got the most bang for your buck in terms of hp and torque increase as well as numerous goodies like gear shift assist, hill climb mode, et. al,,,,,,,as well as the big jump to water cooled heads. I bought a leftover 2014 RT in 2015 that already had the shock recall done. I now have about 6k on it and just got it back from the shop for the 6k maintenance. I did have an oil leak on the bottom of the engine that entailed complete removal of the engine from the bike and the gear shift assist went belly up. Just picked it up today and went for a cruise in 65F weather here in upstate ny and was in heaven. This is the nicest bike I have ever owned or ridden. it just keeps on getting better!

There are still 2015 models available from dealers and they currently have $2000 incentives. That gear shift assist pro is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My neighbor has a 15, and I have a 16. Park them side by side and (except for the color) you cannot see any difference. To me, it's purely a used vs. New decision... one only you can answer.

It is a Fabulous bike!! :thumb

Evening everyone,
I'm shopping for either a used 2015 RT or a new 2016 RT. Thinking about a '15 just to save some cash. I presently ride a 2010 RT and a 2003 K1200RS, and will be selling. or trading in, my 2010. I'd appreciate any of your thoughts on the merits of '15 versus a '16. Are there any appreciable differences I should be considering? By the way, its not easy to find a low mileage '15.
Thanks for your advice
john

I'm looking for a camhead RT.
If you decide to sell, bing me.
I don't know where you're located, I'm in n-east Ohio, would prefer something relatively close by, health issue precludes a lengthy fly-n-ride, and am looking for a clean, low mile bike.

I owned a 2014 RT and other than color and maybe a couple options like DYNAMIC ABS there is very little to no difference from a 2016 model that I'm aware of.

Here's an example (wasn't mine) from the local market if you're interested.
http://mathiasbmw.com/Motorcycles-BMW-R1200RT-2014-1ee9e1ba-1eed-4705-9cb4-a54b01118e4b
Evidently, no DYNAMIC ESA.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a camhead RT.
If you decide to sell, bing me.
I don't know where you're located, I'm in n-east Ohio, would prefer something relatively close by, health issue precludes a lengthy fly-n-ride, and am looking for a clean, low mile bike.

I owned a 2014 RT and other than color and maybe a couple options like DYNAMIC ABS there is very little to no difference from a 2016 model that I'm aware of.

Here's an example (wasn't mine) from the local market if you're interested.
http://mathiasbmw.com/Motorcycles-BMW-R1200RT-2014-1ee9e1ba-1eed-4705-9cb4-a54b01118e4b
Evidently, no DYNAMIC ESA.

I have a 2011 RT, black with 28K+ miles for sale. Have it listed in CycleTrader and Craigslist-Cincinnati. I live in Cincinnati.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-BMW-R-1200-RT-117331057

larry

There are still 2015 models available from dealers and they currently have $2000 incentives. That gear shift assist pro is amazing.

My 06 RT shifts better without the clutch (upshifts anyway) than my 14 does with shift assist!

Like the others have said, it's mostly a difference of pricing. You'll buy the 2015 for $2,000-$4,000 less which is always good, but remember that you will likely sell it for $2,000 or so less when the time comes. If they're both new than length of warranty isn't an issue. Plus there is one new for 2016 color.

Regarding the Dynamic Brake Light / ABS, first, I don't believe it comes on the RT "will be offered for 2016 as part of the ABS Pro option for the R 1200 GS and S 1000 XR models and as standard equipment on all K 1600 models." and second, I think even those bikes only get it on the EU market bike not the North American models. I might be wrong but that's my recollection of what I'd read.
AFAIK, the only difference in NA market 2015 vs 2016 RTs is one additional color being offered.

I've just bought a used 2014 with just under 600 miles on it and 25 months left on the warranty for a price that worked well for me. While the base price on a new RT is very tempting, once I option it out the way I want (Dynamic Package, Touring Package, Nav V, Top Case, etc) the price rises quite a bit. For me the virtually new 2014 works, but that's me, to each their own.

Best of luck with the search.

The only difference between a 14 and 15 is keyless ignition option. I agree with prior poster, If $$ is a factor at all I'd look for the best deal of any 14 or later RT. That's what I did!

Thanks Aquajoe, how would I locate a new '15 model?

Your dealer should be able to look up available inventory in the BMW database and see what's sitting in crates in New Jersey. Either that or just start checking dealer's websites.

BMW builds everything it builds with a system of continuous improvement. The newest is always the best.

Your dealer should be able to look up available inventory in the BMW database and see what's sitting in crates in New Jersey. Either that or just start checking dealer's websites.

Except for their mistakes Kent. ;-)

They do seem to be very good at improving with each generation and through those generations. Certainly that's true for the RT (I've currently got an 86 R80RT, 04 R1150RT, and now the RTW). The only frustration is that every now and then they do mess up, like most manufacturers, but unfortunately, it often takes them longer to admit than others.

Many here will remember that infamous MOA Rally where something like 35%+ of attendees with a specific model had final-drive failures. Until that irrefutable and large body of evidence in front of thousands of BMW owners, BMW Corporate has steadfastly insisted that there was NOT any issue with the final-drives of that model.

All that aside, I have enjoyed every BMW that I've owned and/or ridden.

Please allow me to 'clense' some of the info you have been offered...

Absolutely not true, there are no current incentives on 2015 RT's, there have not been for several months now.

I'm look

There is no such feature as Dynamic ABS. There is ABS Pro, which is not yet offered on the RT... which makes no sense to me at all...

Regarding the Dynamic Brake Light / ABS, first, I don't believe it comes on the RT "will be offered for 2016 as part of the ABS Pro option for the R 1200 GS and S 1000 XR models and as standard equipment on all K 1600 models." and second, I think even those bikes only get it on the EU market bike not the North American models. I might be wrong but that's my recollection of what I'd read.
AFAIK, the only difference in NA market 2015 vs 2016 RTs is one additional color being offered.
True, but to be clear, ABS Pro is standard on the R12GS/GSA, and a package option on the XR. The Dynamic brake light is not available in the US market yet.

There haven't been any 2015 RT's in the warehouse for many, many months. Most dealers who still have any in inventory have registered them to capture the last incentive offered, so your dealer won't be able to see those through the locate function in our system either. Your best bet is to search cycletrader.com for dealer listings.

BMW builds everything it builds with a system of continuous improvement. The newest is always the best.

And anything significant that changed will be a no cost update to you if the bike is still under 3yr/36k warranty.

...to be clear, ABS Pro is standard on the R12GS/GSA, and a package option on the XR...
Thanks for correcting that.

...And anything significant that changed will be a no cost update to you if the bike is still under 3yr/36k warranty.
Very good point Greg. It has helped many early buyers has their cake and eat it too, so to speak.

There is no such feature as Dynamic ABS. There is ABS Pro, which is not yet offered on the RT... which makes no sense to me at all...

Yah... I know...
By writing DYNAMIC ABS, I was just being sarcastic...
I'm over the overuse of the word. Not only in BMW motorcycle land, but throughout the marketing world.

I think I read that this years colors are DYNAMIC and that the design of the new 300 Thumper is Dynamic as well.

Too much DYNASISM for me.

d'milan
curmudgeon

Last edited:
Back