• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Band of Brothers" in HD - Not BMW or Motorcycle Related

exgman

Well, every now and then I feel a need to take a look at some parts of a really great 2001 HBO TV series called "Band of Brothers" (produced by Tom Hanks). It seems to help keep things in perspective for me, and in addition provides some fine lessons on the importance of leadership. Anyway, I pulled it up on HBO GO today and now it's in HD, i.e. 1080p format. Now it seems so much more real and detailed. I was impressed.

For those who know the series my favorite piece is when Easy Company led by Lt. Dick Winters assaults the German 88s targeted on Omaha Beach. Mighty good stuff, IMO.

I was traveling in France a few years ago, and walked down to stand on Omaha Beach. I stood near the water, and looked back at what those young men arriving on Higgins Boats and other vehicles had to face. We owe those men a lot. Tom Hanks starred in "Saving Private Ryan" which has a dramatic Omaha Beach sequence too.

Anyway, if you've never seen "BofB" it's worth every minute and if you've seen it, HD makes it a whole lot better.

Last edited:
I too loved the Band of Brothers series; I found it inspirational. During one of my tours in Europe I was honored to represent the US and jump into St. Mere Eglis, France on the anniversary of D-Day as part of an Army parachute team. Parachuting into the same fields, walking the same beaches and exploring the village streets where they fought was an emotional experience. Take heart Gary, the same grit, courage and determination displayed by those who fought in WWII resides in the men and women who fought and continue to fight in SW Asia. It is just that their are fewer young people like them and they are appreciated by fewer of their countrymen.

I too loved the Band of Brothers series; I found it inspirational. During one of my tours in Europe I was honored to represent the US and jump into St. Mere Eglis, France on the anniversary of D-Day as part of an Army parachute team. Parachuting into the same fields, walking the same beaches and exploring the village streets where they fought was an emotional experience. Take heart Gary, the same grit, courage and determination displayed by those who fought in WWII resides in the men and women who fought and continue to fight in SW Asia. It is just that their are fewer young people like them and they are appreciated by fewer of their countrymen.
It's nice to see you realized my point Kevin :thumb
OM

The late Stephen Ambrose:thumb I watched band of bothers in Bosnia in 2002. Someone brought a DVD box set; we watched it inbetween missions.

Agreed. Outstanding series!

I visited the beaches - British, Canadian and American last year with my son. Omaha cemetery and Pointe du Hoch as well. It should be a must for anyone who cherishes their freedom. It will also recalibrate your definition of sacrifice.

After visiting you will understand why they were called the "Greatest Generation".

Thanks to all those that have served and are currently serving.

Amen. :thumb

Thanks...........God bless these United States

If you liked band of brothers, check out the Pacific. I read too they are doing one based on airraids next

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back