• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in Ohio

radrider

RadRider
I am contemplating relocating to central Ohio and would like to know how long is the riding season there. I can tolerate riding in 45-50 degree weather. What should I expect if I end up moving to Ohio?

I am contemplating relocating to central Ohio and would like to know how long is the riding season there. I can tolerate riding in 45-50 degree weather. What should I expect if I end up moving to Ohio?

Riding in Ohio is just plain luck'o the draw weather wise. We can have bone freezing temps in winter [below zero] not usual , but not unheard of either . Then...this winter has been very mild . Snow ? just dustings . Temps mild , allot of 40's -50"s . Last year single digits for much of the season., and a gang of snow.

Summers ? Can be mild all the way through July...or the heat / humidity starting on Memorial day...both seasons are hard to call....:dunno

Someone once said that Ohio is the only state that one keeps their swim suit & snow suit handy all year & hanging next to each other...:thumb

The central part of the state is some of the most scenic, as is the eastern half along Pennsylvania . Allot of rolling farm land {Amish country} in both.

Mid-Ohio race track is in Lexington , Oh Some world class racing there through much of the summer.

Allot of summer party activity up by the lake {Erie} through Labor day.

The AMA headquarters & Motorcycle Hall of Fame are in Pickerington, Oh... About 30 miles east of Columbus...very interesting place.

The national Air Force Museum {Wright-Patt} is in Dayton, they host the national Air show each year {August I think } ?

Octoberfest held here in Cincinnati, in September . is said to be second only to the original in Munich .

Is it safe to say you can enjoy your rides generally from March through October?

Thanks for sharing your insight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Is it safe to say you can enjoy your rides generally from March through October?

That would be a safe statement, based on a "over 45º" limit for fun rides. Most recent years we've also had at least few days each month, Nov-Feb that are that warm. The limitation then becomes messy roads. Leftover salt and sand mixed with melting snow piles running off the verge makes a bit of a mess. Sometimes it's worth it, though it's better to wait 'til after a decent rain. I no longer "winterize" my bike - I ride it too often.

Lots of good roads for riding, mainly in the east and southeast. Draw a curve linking Canton to Newark to Logan to Jackson, connect the ends to the nearest state line and you'll enclose most of them. Roads in the rest of the state tend to be straight and flat, though there are some notable exceptions. There seemed to be more state repaving projects last summer than usual, so most roads are in great shape.

I rode for 49 months straight until February 2014. Weather didn't get me but a heart attack did. You can do a lot of riding in Ohio if you prepare for it. I do not use heated gear either.
Jeff

I rode for 49 months straight until February 2014. Weather didn't get me but a heart attack did. You can do a lot of riding in Ohio if you prepare for it. I do not use heated gear either.
Jeff

Would it be inappropriate in this forum ? To ask your opinion of your CrossRoad ? Just curious, I have a 2012...

Last edited:
It is my first V-twin bike and it has taken some getting used to. I had to move on from the K1200GT because the ergonomics just did not work for my hips and knees anymore. I find that I can go all day on the XR without pain which is what I want in a bike at this point of my life. I really like the extra room in the bags. I think I can get everything that I had in both bags of the GT in one bag on the Victory. I think that the bike handles well and has a nice comfortable air ride. I like that it is not obnoxiously load like a lot of v-twins.

The things that I am not nuts about are the air management and the lack of power. I get helmet buffeting at highway speeds which can be annoying. There are deflectors and such to deal with it but I have not decided if I like the looks of them. The bike has plenty of power and will get up an go but it is not the same as cranking that inline 4 to the redline.
Jeff

It is my first V-twin bike and it has taken some getting used to. I had to move on from the K1200GT because the ergonomics just did not work for my hips and knees anymore. I find that I can go all day on the XR without pain which is what I want in a bike at this point of my life. I really like the extra room in the bags. I think I can get everything that I had in both bags of the GT in one bag on the Victory. I think that the bike handles well and has a nice comfortable air ride. I like that it is not obnoxiously load like a lot of v-twins.

The things that I am not nuts about are the air management and the lack of power. I get helmet buffeting at highway speeds which can be annoying. There are deflectors and such to deal with it but I have not decided if I like the looks of them. The bike has plenty of power and will get up an go but it is not the same as cranking that inline 4 to the redline.
Jeff

It appears we feel pretty much the same. Particularly about the ergonomics , although I'm not "pain free" on the XR, my Roadster is next to impossible to ride anymore . So, yes as you stated our priorities do change :) I agree on the bags as well, spaaaacious ! Also agree on the air management, and am working [very slowly] on a possible solution. That being a mid-sized fairing/windshield. Remember the Shoei FM series from the 80's ? Hoping that will cure the buffeting ..............enjoy the ride, Ron

Central Ohio

RadRider - there are a lot of great roads in southeast Ohio, easy to get to. The triple nickel (Rt 555) is a great ride. You can also catch either Rt 664 or 93 down to the caves (Old Man's Cave , Ash Cave) are great day rides. You'll probably going to go to a college football game at a university up on High Street - ride your bike, no parking pass needed (but don't tell anyone).
Enjoy
EZ

RadRider,
Any developments on the possible move to Ohio? The seasonal changes here are most enjoyable from the seat of your machine. I say you have 9 months of riding but like others I keep my bikes alive year round for those exceptional winter riding opportunities. Beginning right now as the summer wanes Ohio fields and woods will hint at the spectacular autumn approaching.
SEO does offer an abundant variety of roads. Take the stretch of Rt 78 for example from Malta McConnelsville to Glouster. It is an Ohio Scenic Byway offering 110 curves on 20 miles of smooth pavement, from sweepers to twisties with elevation changes. Do this ride in October for fall color nirvana.
Good luck in your endeavor. Should you visit (or move to) Ohio look me up and we can put you on the second bike for a tour.
Chris

Not as flat as Florida, but too flat for it's own good.

Weather is pretty much the midwest. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter without a lot of snow, but no hills. Siberia without snow is a good description.

But, the people are nice. And, that's something.

RadRider - there are a lot of great roads in southeast Ohio, easy to get to. The triple nickel (Rt 555) is a great ride. You can also catch either Rt 664 or 93 down to the caves (Old Man's Cave , Ash Cave) are great day rides. You'll probably going to go to a college football game at a university up on High Street - ride your bike, no parking pass needed (but don't tell anyone).
Enjoy
EZ
The Triple Nickel is just one of plenty of great riding around here. Check out the WINDY9.com. There is a correction though. Recently the Triple Nickel Diner opened in Chesterhill, on the edge of Morgan and Athens counties. It features local, seasonal food, grass fed beef, pastured pork, and free range chicken, and don't forget the Craft Brewers of Athens Jackie O's,, Little Fish Brewery, and Devil's Kettle.

I live about an hour NE of Columbus, Ohio. I ride regularly from March through November....and occasionally the other months. So you get a good nine months to ride.

If you live in central Ohio, there is good riding virtually anywhere east of Columbus...if you want curvy hilly roads. NW Ohio is largely flat....much of it used to be the Black Swamp that was drained to make outstanding farm land. SW Ohio can also be interesting riding with a mix of flat and hilly depending on where the rivers flow.

I am aware of two BMW motorcycle dealers in the greater Columbus area. I personally go east to Mathias BMW in New Philadelphia, Ohio....and have been a customer for more than 20 years.

I deal with both MOTOHIO European Motorbikes (east) and BMW Motorcycles of Hilliard (NW) in the Columbus area. Great service and people at each and it is good to have a choice depending on your needs.

I ride here 9 months at least but with September upon us IMHO the next two months offer the most outstanding season for riding the hills of SEO.

Radrider you have either relocated or not but in any event the thread lives on :wave

Back