• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Center stand woes.

Need a suggestion on getting my 1600GTL up on its center stand. Is there a trick?
Welcome to the forum!
Your question is one of the age old questions :) It sorta is "all in the wrist", or wrist and foot. Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder why you had trouble in the first place. Here is an older Best of Forum on the subject- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?38314-Center-stand-deployment-What-is-simple-for-some
Some light reading while you are waiting for others to chime in.
Gary

Need a suggestion on getting my 1600GTL up on its center stand. Is there a trick?

Put your foot on it, stand the bike up and 'feel' for when both sides of the stand are touching the ground, then lift on the passenger grab rail while standing on the center stand foot pad, It wont fall over as long as you have pressure on the stand until it is fully engaged.

At least that is how I do it with the heavy K1600

Put your foot on it, stand the bike up and 'feel' for when both sides of the stand are touching the ground, then lift on the passenger grab rail while standing on the center stand foot pad, It wont fall over as long as you have pressure on the stand until it is fully engaged.

I was just up at the dealer and saw a 1600 parked outside. I asked the owner if he could demonstrate. The above is exactly what he did. I suspect you need to pull towards the rear a bit while you're pulling up. But it's the up/rear pull along with your weight pushing down that gets the bike coming up and over the top.

At least that is how I do it with the heavy K1600

I do the same except I don't rely too much on grabbing the passenger rail...reason being is that its too far to my right and throws me off balance.
Once you get it positioned on the stand....step down really hard on the center stand lever....it comes right up.
I do hold on to the left handlebar grip and passenger rail but don't use them as lifting points.
Here is a good demonstration...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SDuNlh8Ums

Have fun and be careful!

Cheater

I roll my GTL rear tire onto a one foot square of 3/8 inch plywood. That provides quite a bit of leverage advantage towards getting the bike over center.

...more Wheaties, period. Anyone that says, "oh, it's easy, just do this..." either doesn't own a K1600 or is pulling your leg. I'm 6'1", 250 lbs and it's always a struggle to get the bike on the center stand.

Duane

Hey Duane.
I feel your pain...but I think its all in technique.
Since I installed the rear bag protection bars, I use them as a lift point. Makes life a lot easier.
Wunderlich makes a lift lever that attaches to a similar location and that helps too.

Joe

Put the ESA into the "2 Rider" position. Not necessarily convenient, but will make it easier to get the bike up on the centerstand. This will jack up the suspension and reduce the centerstand lift amount.

I have the legal speeding centerstand dolly, and its a pain to get the R1200RT onto its centerstand using the dolly. I have found that using the ESA with 2 UP(Driver and Passenger), literally raises the rear end of the R1200RT up nearly 1/2" that is required to compensate for the 1/2" height increase from the Legal Speeding dolly. This extra 1/2" increase in height without using the centerstand dolly should make using the centerstand that much easier.

I have a 1200RT, so my bike is notably lighter. I am however a smaller guy (5’6’’ and 150lbs) and on the wrong side of 60 years. I found when I have issues getting my bike on the center stand I am pulling almost exclusively up rather than aft. Pulling to the rear seems to help me; hopefully it will help you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back