Thread: 2015 RT GPS Angle

2015 RT GPS Angle

Hello,
    As a short RT rider on a low seat, the angle of the GPS is set too high and when riding with the sun to my back, the screen is unreadable and the glare is a real problem for me. I have looked at the user guide and do not see any clear way to change the angle of the GPS unit so that it is at a more comfortable position.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks... Steve
    -Steve
    R1200RTw San Marino Blue - 2009 Gillera Fucco

Ed Kilner #176066
    Remarkably the same, short, low seat, same color!

My Nav V is not as bright as my older Zumo 550 was and there is no hope of making it brighter. Garmin chose the backlight, and it is just not bright enough.

As far as the angle, BMW made the instrument panel tiltable, but sadly did not do the same to the GPS mount.

We are stuck with the design, I'm afraid.

Still, it is not really awful awful, just not good enough.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

I have a Nav V on my RT. I put a GlareStomper (See: http://www.glarestomper.com/#axzz422ItUUmW) on it which helps in some situations. GlareStomper was $18 from Amazon.

I also put on a NuShield screen glare reducer (See: http://www.nushield.com) which was praised by Moshe Levy in a MCN review. This $15 piece had no effect on glare for me.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Ed Kilner #176066
    [QUOTE=ExGMan;1036899]I have a Nav V on my RT. I put a GlareStomper (See: http://www.glarestomper.com/#axzz422ItUUmW) on it which helps in some situations. GlareStomper was $18 from Amazon.

I have sent them an email asking how to mount their unit on a 2015 RT with the Nav V mount. I'm a bit doubtful, but we will see.
    Ed

Glarestomper/Nav V/2015 R1200RT

Here are a couple of photos of the Glarestomper mounted on the Nav V on a 2015 R1200 RT. One is on the bike and one is with with Nav V removed but the Glarestomper still attached. Has seemed to be OK for 2000 miles so far...

IMG_2416 (1).jpg

IMG_2417.jpg
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

I found the 5 to be better than the 4 in daylight, selected full brightness
    I just wish the screen was like a kindle, really don't care about the colors

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Here are a couple of photos of the Glarestomper mounted on the Nav V on a 2015 R1200 RT. One is on the bike and one is with with Nav V removed but the Glarestomper still attached. Has seemed to be OK for 2000 miles so far...

IMG_2416 (1).jpg

IMG_2417.jpg
    Which model did your order from Glarestomper?
    -Steve
    R1200RTw San Marino Blue - 2009 Gillera Fucco

I wonder how many decades it may take the current crop of BMW engineers to figure out that some dude 6'6" and some other dude 5'4" on a good day need different ergonomics on a motorcycle. That includes what people look at as much as where they sit and where they hold on.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by pianomanla View Post
    Which model did your order from Glarestomper?
    Steve - I got the Model #322. Price seems to be $16.87 with free shipping.

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I wonder how many decades it may take the current crop of BMW engineers to figure out that some dude 6'6" and some other dude 5'4" on a good day need different ergonomics on a motorcycle. That includes what people look at as much as where they sit and where they hold on.
    There are LCD displays called transflexive that get brighter with sunlight on them. They may not be fast enough to prevent smearing with the moving map.

So, a better backlight is required for a fast active matrix type LCD. The Zumo 550 was brighter than the Nav V. A bigger screen requires a bigger backlight and this draws more power, but the newer LEDs ought to do the job, so there is no excuse.

The speedo and tach on my 2015 RT are on a tiltable panel, so I am puzzled why the Nav V mount does not swivel as well...

Oh, and it does not lock either. Saw a post where someone removed the windscreen, drilled and tapped a hole in the release button from the front (nearest the windscreen) and inserted a bolt. There is not enough room between button and screen to remove the bolt without removing the windscreen.

Sigh. Only $800 for a Nav V, so I guess tilting and locking are not deemed required by BMW design.
    Ed

I shimmed my mount with a few washers to change the angle... easy. If you shim the top positions, you'll have a limit as to how far due to needing to keep some alignment with the release mechanism.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

I'm glad someone's confirmed that as an option ... looked like it should be based on an initial perusal of the parts. The release button simply impacts the release mechanism on the cradle so as long as you don't go too far, it should still function as a release but I could see the potential for a relatively easy mod that would allow things to go a little bit further by possibly gluing a small plate to the end of the release button to give it a bit more reach. Thanks Greg!
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk