• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

That MOA logo - can it be fixed now?

This was going on with the car club about 25 years ago when I was a member (I had a 2002 and a 1600). There was a big kerfuffle about corporate threatening to sue. Looks like it's still going on. I don't remember how it was handled then. IIRC, it was something kinda silly like BMWCCA wasn't acceptable but BWM CCA (with the space) was or maybe the other way around.

FWIW, I think the new logo is an improvement over its predecessor but I agree that the MOA thing is kinda lame. At least out here in AZ it isn't confused with Mall of America.

What about the the Tucson or U of Az Museum of Art?

Relative to the CCA logo.....

BMW_CCA_ICLogo.jpg

Ignoring the text, it indicates an affiliation of the US (i.e., the map of the contiguous states) and the brand/make (black border with the Bavarian blue-white checkerboard). It doesn't indicate a type of vehicle. IMHO, without the text, typical gearhead-type folks would "get" the meaning.

ybLogo.jpg

The Yankee Beemer logo, as an example, uses a similar approach to make the brand affiliation (blue and white background for the logo) , but employs a motorcycle rider figure to indicate type of activity. Location of the group is only indicated by text.

MOA logo.jpg

In comparison, the current MOA logo indicates ??

Last edited:
Didn't we hash this out awhile back?

First, isn't this what "leadership" is in charge of? Don't they decide what is best for membership, because they represent membership? Why ask for recommendations and/or provide proposals for a membership vote? That seems out of line with "Club" "works". The protocol, apparently, is kick it around in a designated motel meeting room, then execute. Step two is: If any membership sector complaints...just let them complain. They will eventually go away, which goes directly to step three: Maintain a high energy recruitment push to replace those who really weren't very good members anyway. Or maybe not....who really knows?

First, isn't this what "leadership" is in charge of? Don't they decide what is best for membership, because they represent membership?
I would guess they did. I would also guess a number of real attractive designs had to be scrapped due to constraints from BMW.
Why ask for recommendations and/or provide proposals for a membership vote? That seems out of line with "Club" "works". The protocol, apparently, is kick it around in a designated motel meeting room, then execute.
If it had to be changed and had to be voted on by the membership, one would have to consider the number of Members that would actually respond- and the kibitzing that would ensue. While all that was going on there would be no new logo.
Step two is: If any membership sector complaints...just let them complain. They will eventually go away, which goes directly to step three: Maintain a high energy recruitment push to replace those who weren't ever really good members. Or maybe not....who really knows?
Really not a fair assumption. It seems you think that no one is listening. Look at the new flea market that was just integrated after noticing Members were less than satisfied with Panjo.
While this is a club, it's a large ship and does not turn on a dime. In the smaller club atmosphere, things can happen much faster.
Get involved, let's see watcha can do.
OM

First, isn't this what "leadership" is in charge of? Don't they decide what is best for membership, because they represent membership? Why ask for recommendations and/or provide proposals for a membership vote? That seems out of line with "Club" "works". The protocol, apparently, is kick it around in a designated motel meeting room, then execute. Step two is: If any membership sector complaints...just let them complain. They will eventually go away, which goes directly to step three: Maintain a high energy recruitment push to replace those who really weren't very good members anyway. Or maybe not....who really knows?

A leadership in search of a better membership........

Reminds me of those executives that complain about not finding "good" workers. You get what you give.

While this is a club, it's a large ship and does not turn on a dime. In the smaller club atmosphere, things can happen much faster.
OM

+1!

Thanks for saying this Gary. Of course you'll be vilified for it...

I would guess they did. I would also guess a number of real attractive designs had to be scrapped due to constraints from BMW.

If it had to be changed and had to be voted on by the membership, one would have to consider the number of Members that would actually respond- and the kibitzing that would ensue. While all that was going on there would be no new logo.

Really not a fair assumption. It seems you think that no one is listening. Look at the new flea market that was just integrated after noticing Members were less than satisfied with Panjo.
OM

Sounds like a good one for adding to the "Club Articles": "NO! We don't want to get the membership involved....we'd never get anything done!"

This IS being involved....when you can't get a requested refund.

Sat. Morning, first cup-o-jo, had to find an old patch, eureka, it has the letters BMW separated from Motorcycle, no rondel? How is this exactly wrong from what I now see as being an "approved" patch?

Would be fun, no painful, to sit in the room with the trademark/law team discussing what's acceptable and what will hurt the bottom line.

Seems if they want a fatter bottom line they could just disband the trademark infringement team and get on with building motorcycles. And stop raising prices on parts worth twelve bucks, to sixty. Gotta protect the legend? 2cents, FWIW, I know I don't know a tinker's damn about the incongruities of protecting the image of a trademark and the angst of running an international corporate entity. Gallons of coffee, bags of doughnuts.

{snipped}....when you can't get a requested refund{snipped}......
This refund question seems to keep coming up. I have been involved in many organizations and none that I know of have had a refund policy. The only real refunds that I know of in a club atmosphere occurs in "high-end" golf organizations where the figures are in the thousands.
A refund policy would be very hard to administer because of the "fickle" nature of the human condition. I would guess that no matter what the specific criteria for the qualification, there would be conjecture- much like the goings on in this thread. Then there would be the "fight" over the actual fee vs the benefits to date.

I guess for some the feeling that if they were to receive a refund, they would consider it a victory or "badge of honor". I think that is would really be a situation where a Member would have been "paid to go away".

In any case, I doubt any refunds in any organizations are in the future-really. I did figure a theme song that could be used- just in case :)

All in good fun on a snow frosted Saturday :wave

OM

This refund question seems to keep coming up. I have been involved in many organizations and none that I know of have had a refund policy. The only real refunds that I know of in a club atmosphere occurs in "high-end" golf organizations where the figures are in the thousands.
A refund policy would be very hard to administer because of the "fickle" nature of the human condition. I would guess that no matter what the specific criteria for the qualification, there would be conjecture- much like the goings on in this thread. Then there would be the "fight" over the actual fee vs the benefits to date.

I guess for some the feeling that if they were to receive a refund, they would consider it a victory or "badge of honor". I think that is would really be a situation where a Member would have been "paid to go away".

In any case, I doubt any refunds in any organizations are in the future-really. I did figure a theme song that could be used- just in case :)

All in good fun on a snow frosted Saturday :wave

OM

To use your words from a post or two back: "It's alright, it's just the reality of the situation."

Did in fact tell Ted Moyer (a likable guy stuck in the middle - trying to mend fences other "leaders" can't see), a $30.00 refund which he suggested, would work. He stated he attempted to get that for me and was unable to do so. So I have almost 10 month's of membership remaining to voice my opinion...please don't feel an obligation to explain all the reasons why my suggestions would not apply. The "Club" hierarchy is what it is and does what it wishes...that's why I asked for the refund to begin with. I do not like the trend, nor do I need a condescending "badge of honor", just wanted my money back as I don't care for this changed products' promoters' "business" model, but I'll survive.

Last edited:
What about the the Tucson or U of Az Museum of Art?

Relative to the CCA logo.....

View attachment 54962

Ignoring the text, it indicates an affiliation of the US (i.e., the map of the contiguous states) and the brand/make (black border with the Bavarian blue-white checkerboard). It doesn't indicate a type of vehicle. IMHO, without the text, typical gearhead-type folks would "get" the meaning.

View attachment 54963

The Yankee Beemer logo, as an example, uses a similar approach to make the brand affiliation (blue and white background for the logo) , but employs a motorcycle rider figure to indicate type of activity. Location of the group is only indicated by text.

View attachment 54964

In comparison, the current MOA logo indicates ??

In the new logo under the large A is a DOT. Why can't we imbed the BMW logo there.

Again we see, unless I need new glasses, BMW, space, motorcycle. And the now ubiquitous rondel.

The old moa patch, same, BMW, space, motorcycle. Difference, the old patch is curved, owners instead of club, no rondel, and not approved. And the old patch looks cool.

Not that I'm a Luddite.

The old moa patch, same, BMW, space, motorcycle. Difference, the old patch is curved, owners instead of club, no rondel, and not approved. And the old patch looks cool.

As we all know, this has been thrashed for quite some time. Here's a page about the requirements that's on the homepage:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/?page=clublogo&terms="guideline"

Pulling the relevant words out:

The final resolution allows Chartered Clubs and umbrella organizations, such as the MOA, the right to use the Roundel and the wordmark "BMW" in specific instances. It is not a requirement that clubs use the templates provided unless a design incorporates the BMW Roundel or wordmark "BMW."

So, it's not just the roundel, it's the trademarked word "BMW". We had to move away from the old globe logo.

We had to comply as well.

Yes, but your logo, captures a BMW reference via the Bavarian Blue vertical bars and a location reference with the spiffy Maple leaf. Some motorcycle reference / symbol would have been a total sweep. As is, it's well done, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back