Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: That MOA logo - can it be fixed now?

John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Just to add a thought to this thread. I'm one of the many minions of members our there. Through the club membership, I've been sent several MOA patches and stickers. All either sit somewhere in a drawer or I've tossed them out. Don't remember. Why? The MOA logo has ZERO meaning to me or to anyone else who see's it other than another MOA member. To me, if you're going to have an esoteric logo and brand, you better be spending a ton of money promoting it to the masses. Otherwise, have something that people understand.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

2018 R1200GS
    2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I think are old logo was better. And what was wrong with the old MOA blue and green globe logo, it didn't have BMW roundel on it? It just had BMW Motorcycle Owners of America around the edge.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    I think are old logo was better. And what was wrong with the old MOA blue and green globe logo, it didn't have BMW roundel on it? It just had BMW Motorcycle Owners of America around the edge.
    Hi John,

That was the problem. BMW is intellectual property of BMW and they can determine its use. And in this case they determined it wasn't allowed.

I agree
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

So lets just drop the BMW part, and call it "Beemer Owners of America." Or do they also control the word Beemer?
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

So lets just drop the BMW part, and call it "Beemer Owners of America." Or do they also control the word Beemer?
    "Funny Looking German Motorcycle Owners of America" is what I said in about 1995 when the first (or at least not the latest) round of trademark enforcement was heating up. There was a guy from (then) BMWNA I talked to at the national who didn't think it was the least bit amusing, which made it all the more so.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

They probably trademarked "Funny Looking German Motorcycle Owners of America" after the war.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

As far as I know, they dropped the ball on that one.

They probably trademarked "Funny Looking German Motorcycle Owners of America" after the war.
    German could be in reference to the owner or the motorcycle.

Besides, we're fans of Zundapp, NSU, DKW and MZ, right?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    who didn't think it was the least bit amusing
    That's when you knew it was the right thing, that should have been done.....
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

What was the old Yankee beemers logo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    And, to repeat it again, I don't know why MOA doesn't tap into the experience and expertise of the Giants to produce an off road oriented Weekend Getaway. It would be well run and fun for all. Heck, I would even attend even if I didn't ride a GS!
    We're helping these chartered clubs produce an adventure component for their rallies:

• Georgia Club
    • Alabeemers
    • Yankee Beemers
    • Kansas City Club
    • Norcal Club
    • Nashville Club
    • A few very cool things in the hopper for places like Canada and California...

oh.... and we also do The GS Giant for the MOA.

This does not include GS Giants doing events in 20 countries around the world later this month for March Moto Madness.

Regarding the logo for the Georgia club... this was not my design, I was the creative director, we hired a professional graphic designer and this was what we could afford. Good creative isn't cheap and even quality renderings of the silhouettes cost a pretty penny.

And, as far as best practices go, a good logo is not just a graphic design job. It's best to start with valid forms of marketing research to be sure you understand the problem you're trying to solve.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Welcome to Beemerville.

oh. dear. We let Beemervllle.com lapse.

Didn't we hash this out awhile back?