• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

That MOA logo - can it be fixed now?

Maybe with the "graying" of our membership they should be.

Well, why not ask young and old people to submit suggestions based on guidelines of what the logo is intended to communicate? See what you get.

Better yet, just post the ideas/suggestions to the forum. Artists do that all the time............"Here's my piece, do you like it?"

Telling the board to design a better logo will lead to one of two results; 1) The Board agrees to a redesign and produces a product similar to the last effort or 2) The Board continues to ignore the discussion. Since neither of those outcomes could be considered a success, an alternate approach is the only path forward.

Most acronyms need to be explained to someone that hasn't see it before.......Isn't that puzzling to me. If you are on the internet or TWITTER, you will probably have to do a little research to get by- FWIW. Oh ya, RR would be one as well.
OM

Started reading what I thought was a bureau of land management post on Facebook a couple months ago and it wasn't making any sense until I realized that BLM now means black lives matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it does have a point in this debate.......jmo

How ? most of the debate here has been old "Roundel" ~V~ New MOA....if the kid had seen the old Roundel ? he may not have thought the new one was so niffty....

And besides he is not either a member or for that matter a rider...............:dunno

Yeah - I belong to the Gold Wing Road Riders Association as well, and think that logo is also lacking in intelligent clarity.

So ............... we just settle for being a member of the "Our Logo Also Sucks" club and ride off into the sunset?!

Apparently so. :violin

Have you made your logo ambiguity opinion clear on that forum as well? And if so...how's that working for you?:dunno

And yes, the logo is just a logo, doesn't affect my riding into a sunrise or sunset at all. The old one was not approved by BMW AG...we moved on...or a lot of us did anyways. Folks engage me at stops and ask all sorts of questions, never asked what MOA meant.

When I first joined and saw the old sticker, I related it to a Green Save the Planet movement and thought it very tired and dated. Other than the BMW and motorcycle club wording, it had no identifiable relationship to motorcycles either. seeing it from a distance provoked nothing.

As a former manager , I often had the "it sucks" response to any change the organization put forth. As I was the messenger for the upper management, my challenge to those who always had the "sucks" response was to ask them what they had to offer as an alternative...NADA was the typical response. Here, people do have a choice with the upcoming Board elections...if you are so passionate about how things are run by the current group, run for a position and be part of the solution. Sitting on that side of the big table may be eye opening as well as frustrating.

I know this sits sideways for some...they would rather just stir the pot and call folks out instead of being constructive. If that works for you fine, however it's a tough way to roll thru life . And as someone else has echoed many times...it's my opinion to share, so I do.
And that young man Reece came across a few years ago isn't a little kid now, he is the future rider/member we do need to court and is relevant in a friendly discussion.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know about it being unclear. I identified it as the logo for the Great Western RailRoad Association right away.

1977? What was the "Bandit" driving in those movies......his genuine Pontiac TransAm. For folks of a certain age, that was a pretty studly symbol for its time. Today, it only makes you ask why?

Most logo's change with time. If not, they look as dated as the GWRRA TransAm Eagle.

In the official format, we have

BMW CLUB
Motorcycle Owners
of America
MOA

That screams creative to me.....

Of course, in a month or two, I'll be a Moa-man when the grass grows.

I wonder if some of the issue in coming up with a good replacement was related to the new format for the club name

It looks like the options for the top line were BMW Club and BMW Motorcycle Club

Short of renaming the organization BMW Motorcycle Club of America and converting MOA to MCA in everyone's minds, I think the solution chosen was a reasonable way of coming up with a logo. Realistically, the car club had a much easier job since they had "club" in their name to begin with.

bmwcca1.png

Unfortunately, our signet as a standalone item isn't as self explanatory as the old one which had the club name written out.

bmwmoaDropShadow.gif

In its full form, I don't think there is much question

ci_logo.jpg

The BMW MOA "Gear Shop" display of products is dominated by clothes with only the MOA, with only a couple of items with the full, BMWAG-approved logo.

I never liked the old round logo that looked outdated to me - sorry. (remember only my opinion)

I am sort of okay the new fully approved BMW format presentation with wording that spells out that we are BMW Motorcyclists, includes the official BMW roundel and a stylized 'MOA' logo section.

However, using the 'MOA' logo by itself begs for an explanation. I do not care for it because it doesn't speak to the nature that this is a club, doesn't speak to our BMW roots and only includes letters 'M' and 'A' separated by a drawing of the earth picture showing part of North America and a bit of South America which could stand for any number of things as has been stated here previously.

I would disagree with some here that no good suggestions have been made here. In fact, there have been some good suggestions on this thread notably the suggestion for the BMW Motorcycle Club of Georgia that use the approved BMW format and gave representations of various forms of BMW riders on their motorcycles.

I like it because it is very clean, informative and modern looking - perhaps exactly what BMW intended.

1977? What was the "Bandit" driving in those movies......his genuine Pontiac TransAm. For folks of a certain age, that was a pretty studly symbol for its time. Today, it only makes you ask why?

Most logo's change with time. If not, they look as dated as the GWRRA TransAm Eagle.

In the official format, we have

BMW CLUB
Motorcycle Owners
of America
MOA

That screams creative to me.....

Of course, in a month or two, I'll be a Moa-man when the grass grows.
It was a Phoenix (Firebird)

How ? most of the debate here has been old "Roundel" ~V~ New MOA....if the kid had seen the old Roundel ? he may not have thought the new one was so niffty....

And besides he is not either a member or for that matter a rider...............:dunno

All these reasons are why I felt his opinion mattered. He didn't ride a bike, he wasn't a member of the MOA, and he was not familiar with the old logo. So his opinion was unbiased. He held no emotional attachment to an older logo. When I evaluate students on check rides I intentionally do not look, at their records or ask who their IP was. I recognize my own natural bias and intentionally make an effort to give the student an objective look. Granted my concentration in high school and college [BA] was in educational psychology not marketing I think my opinion carries some weight.

And by kid I mean 18-20 year old male. The next generation of riders. I do not begrudge the next generation their youth. I had mine, it was glorious.

All these reasons are why I felt his opinion mattered. He didn't ride a bike, he wasn't a member of the MOA, and he was not familiar with the old logo. So his opinion was unbiased. He held no emotional attachment to an older logo. When I evaluate students on check rides I intentionally do not look, at their records or ask who their IP was. I recognize my own natural bias and intentionally make an effort to give the student an objective look. Granted my concentration in high school and college [BA] was in educational psychology not marketing I think my opinion carries some weight.

And by kid I mean 18-20 year old male. The next generation of riders. I do not begrudge the next generation their youth. I had mine, it was glorious.

And I feel my opinion carries some weight as well. And it is that some kid that is not a member, does not own a BMW in particular, or a motorcycle period....carries no weight with his opinion on the subject at all.

And I feel my opinion carries some weight as well. And it is that some kid that is not a member, does not own a BMW in particular, or a motorcycle period....carries no weight with his opinion on the subject at all.

Making an assumption, he could be all of the above..and he is an adult by now:dunno maybe he saved his Pizza money and bought a bike...even a BMW after talking to RR...again, supposition on my part as well.

and yes, your opinion carries the same weight as the rest of us...whatever that is and means.

Preview from a potential new board member.

So,

As many of you know, if not all of you, I am running for the board this year. The logo issue provides a catalyst to explain how I as a board member approach issues.

So first, I would have to determine if their is a problem. Fifty to one hundred members expressing their dislike of the logo on the forums may not indicate 34,000 member's dislike the logo. So I would have to conduct research and determine if in fact their is a problem. If in fact the vast majority of members like or approve of the logo... Problem solved, no need to make a change. I recognized a long time ago I can't make everyone happy, there are some people that cannot be happy, and I should not compromise the welfare or happiness of others in a vain attempt to make these people happy. I will try to make everyone happy, recognizing that it probably won't happen. I'll still try.

Second if in fact after research I and the rest of the board (we are a team) determined that there was a problem, we would have to determine a solution, and look at the economic impact of the solution and then maybe some second and third order effects of implementation. Even if their was a problem the solution may be cost prohibitive. At this point I would articulate the issue, the proposed solution, and the timeline or limitations of implementation to the mebership via ON, and the forums, maybe Facebook, not a Mark Zuckaberger fan, got off Facebook a couple years ago, never looked back.

Third, if there was an issue regarding the logo my recommendation would be to create a new logo contest from our members. Submisions of logo's.... Say top 20 or top 10, published in ON, those that meet the legal guidelines IAW BMW AG. (Member submissions would be voluntarily and sign over any artistic rights, if you're in it for the money you knocked on the wrong door, and I feel there is a lot of free, passionate talent in our 34,000 members. Money always taints art in its purest form). The vote would have it. The logo design would be member created member approved. Would someone in the organization gripe that the logo they wanted didn't get approved on Facebook or the forums? Yes. I'd bet money on it, and I'm not a betting man. Would I as a leader be satisfied that everything was done within my power to make the organization better? Absolutely.

So there you have the Reece Mullins' leadership style on an issue. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back