• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Want ads

Been riding since 1959 and still l ride and I'm a member in good standing with the AMA and the MOA. For the last 25years l've been riding beemers. Enjoyed reading the BMW ON especially the want ads. After inquiring about why they stopped I was told that there is no longer any room for the ads. So I've been checking out our ON and see that we have quadrupled the advertising spaces in favor of the riders wants. A lot of pages have big colorful advertising on over 2/3rds of the page and sometimes the whole page is full blown ads. But not enough room for the majority of the riders that want to barter.

Magazine want ads have too much "time delay" built in to compete with online alternatives. Even our local daily paper, with a circulation of hundreds of thousands serving a major metro area, normally has no items for sale by individuals. What used to be an entire 10-12 page section is now two small pages of only legal notices. Saturday ads used to have several sections of used cars, today there are no private seller ads. Paper ads are expensive, Craiglist is free.

Ads in the MOA ON probably had to be sent in 6-8 weeks before the print date. If a seller posts ads in multiple locations, it can be sold long before the magazine is even printed, much less delivered. Use our online Marketplace, and an item can be offered (with pictures), questions answered, payment agreed upon and the item possibly shipped out the same day it is posted. The format changed just this week, so there is not much to browse through yet - I'm sure that will change quickly.

Been riding since 1959 and still l ride and I'm a member in good standing with the AMA and the MOA. For the last 25years l've been riding beemers. Enjoyed reading the BMW ON especially the want ads. After inquiring about why they stopped I was told that there is no longer any room for the ads. So I've been checking out our ON and see that we have quadrupled the advertising spaces in favor of the riders wants. A lot of pages have big colorful advertising on over 2/3rds of the page and sometimes the whole page is full blown ads. But not enough room for the majority of the riders that want to barter.
Welcome to the forum!
Larry's post below pretty much explains the "state" of print ads nowadays- thanks Larry.
Take a look at our new flea market, which is in the process of replacing a system that the Members weren't too enthused with.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Magazine want ads have too much "time delay" built in to compete with online alternatives. Even our local daily paper, with a circulation of hundreds of thousands serving a major metro area, normally has no items for sale by individuals. What used to be an entire 10-12 page section is now two small pages of only legal notices. Saturday ads used to have several sections of used cars, today there are no private seller ads. Paper ads are expensive, Craiglist is free.

Ads in the MOA ON probably had to be sent in 6-8 weeks before the print date. If a seller posts ads in multiple locations, it can be sold long before the magazine is even printed, much less delivered. Use our online Marketplace, and an item can be offered (with pictures), questions answered, payment agreed upon and the item possibly shipped out the same day it is posted. The format changed just this week, so there is not much to browse through yet - I'm sure that will change quickly.

Back