• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another new fuel strip?

drummer

Frieden mit uns allen
Last July I had the three re-calls performed on my 05 1200 RT. Since October my gas gauge consistently reads full no matter the quantity in the tank. Is this a reset of some kind or is this another fuel strip?

So far on the 2012 - I'm only on the 2nd one, but it appears to be getting a bit flakey.

On my '07 R1200R I went though 7 or so of them. I think I must be filling the tank wrong.. If you look in the filler of the R1200R with a maglite - the fuel strip is directly below the filler hole, no way to miss it. With NJ having vapor-recovery boots on the hoses, it's usually necessary to put the nozzle rather far in the tank to get the pump to go on. Chances are excellent the fuel is gushing right against the fuel strip. Next strip that goes in will have a protective shield over it above the strip - made from a plastic oil bottle and some tie-wraps.. we'll see if that will help.

So far on the 2012 - I'm only on the 2nd one, but it appears to be getting a bit flakey.

On my '07 R1200R I went though 7 or so of them. I think I must be filling the tank wrong.. If you look in the filler of the R1200R with a maglite - the fuel strip is directly below the filler hole, no way to miss it. With NJ having vapor-recovery boots on the hoses, it's usually necessary to put the nozzle rather far in the tank to get the pump to go on. Chances are excellent the fuel is gushing right against the fuel strip. Next strip that goes in will have a protective shield over it above the strip - made from a plastic oil bottle and some tie-wraps.. we'll see if that will help.

Don, you might check and see if the ADV member still sells the little plastic tool to hold back the vapor recover tool.
Here's the thread.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/vapor-recovery-nozzle-tool.647816/

Don, you might check and see if the ADV member still sells the little plastic tool to hold back the vapor recover tool.
Here's the thread.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/vapor-recovery-nozzle-tool.647816/

I've considered these - but the way the cap is mounted on the R1200 bikes, this tool would likely be as big an impediment as the vapor recovery boot. Plus - it's likely to end up causing me to spill gas (klutz!).. usually I just hold the nozzle with one hand and the boot back with the other.

Funny thing - some stations don't have the boot, even in NJ - but certain brands (like BP) always have them. Unfortunately - the most convenient station to me is a BP.. (and I get a discount using their credit card - $0.02 per fillup, which can be saved up. I fill the bike there a lot - and don't use it - saving up until I have something like $0.50/gallon saved - then I bring the tanker over and fill that up [Cayenne has a 24 gallon tank.. 20 gallons at $0.50 discount = $10.00.].) But, I digress..

I've considered these - but the way the cap is mounted on the R1200 bikes, this tool would likely be as big an impediment as the vapor recovery boot. Plus - it's likely to end up causing me to spill gas (klutz!).. usually I just hold the nozzle with one hand and the boot back with the other.

It works great for me. I've been carrying the plastic tool in my tank bag for the last 3 years and in that time none of the stations we have stopped at had the vapor recovery boot :rofl

Does 2012 model year still use fuel strip? I thought around 2010 BMW started using mechanical fuel sender i.e. float

I don't think the R1200R switched to a float until 2015 when the new water cooled model was released.
Most of the other models went to a float in 2009 or 2010.

Lee is correct. The R1200R continued to use a fuel-strip until the introduction of the water cooled model (and I don't know for sure what that uses - but I'd guess not a fuel strip.) The other R1200 series camheads started using a float sometime around 2010 or 2011 I believe. Unfortunately that can't be retrofitted on the R1200R.

Lee is correct. The R1200R continued to use a fuel-strip until the introduction of the water cooled model (and I don't know for sure what that uses - but I'd guess not a fuel strip.) The other R1200 series camheads started using a float sometime around 2010 or 2011 I believe. Unfortunately that can't be retrofitted on the R1200R.

I keep reading about the failed fuel strips and when I was into my BMW dealer here in Calgary last summer having the rear wheel flange replaced on warranty I bought the question up about fuel strips. It seems in Canada we are not having this issue and it made me wonder why. Then it hit me that in the US the fuel blends are ethanol mix I am wondering out loud if the strips do not like the ethanol blend?

Last edited:
I keep reading about the failed fuel strips and when I was into my BMW dealer here in Calgary last summer having the rear wheel flange replaced on warranty I bought the question up about fuel strips. It seems in Canada we are not having this issue and it made me wonder why. Then it hit me that in the US the fuel blends are ethanol mix I am wondering out loud if the strips don not like the ethanol blend?

It's been mentioned before. Frankly I think it's plausible that the gumming action of ethanol on internal combustion carburetors, especially when it sits on the components over winter, could have a detrimental effect on a sensitive component like the fuel strip. I've been running ethanol free in the bike since I've owned it, and I ride it year round. I had one failure, after about 10years of use, replaced free by dealer, but that failure may be due to the ethanol that was used in tank for first 23,000 miles by first owner, or the occasional stray ethanol that may find its way in my tank by less than honest gas merchants.

I keep reading about the failed fuel strips and when I was into my BMW dealer here in Calgary last summer having the rear wheel flange replaced on warranty I bought the question up about fuel strips. It seems in Canada we are not having this issue and it made me wonder why. Then it hit me that in the US the fuel blends are ethanol mix I am wondering out loud if the strips do not like the ethanol blend?

Actually - it has no correlation with ethanol. I also visited a dealership in Canada (in New Brunswick, near Moncton) last fall, and asked what their experience with failing fuel strips was. They've seen just as many as the dealers in the US. When I was in Europe 2 years ago, I asked a few dealers in Europe (where the availability of non-ethanol fuel is much greater and ethanol laced fuel was somewhat rare in several countries we went through), and they told me "use the odometer 300KM then get gas.." They ALSO were seeing lots of failures.

It's not the gas, it's a crappy design, located in a bad place in the tank with substandard QC. IE - BMW screwed up.

Back