• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Has anyone fitted Ilium bars SPECIFICALLY on a 2016 K1600GT?

rudyinla

I'm interested in any clearance issues anyone may have, or has had, with fitting the bars to a 2016 and possibly the 2015 model as well. Ilium has made a slight modification to the system on these bikes with thicker spacers as BMW has changed the head boss design. I'm having a bit of a clearance issue that I will call them about, but thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks guys.

I take it you're talking about the engine bars.
I that's the case I have them installed on my 2015 K1600GT.
They fit nicely without and clearance problems.

Ilium Crash Bars on my K1600GTL

I installed the Ilium front and rear bars on my 2016 K1600 GTL, they installed very easily,
found them very well made. I added the highway pegs but didn't help much just moved
my feet a little forward. Here are a couple of images.

Attachments

• 20170626_062647.jpg
    20170626_062647.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 20170626_062736 - Copy.jpg
    20170626_062736 - Copy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 166
I put them on my 2012 K1600GTL and took them off!

I have replaced them with the Altrider bars. The reason? When the bike drops the Ilium bars act like a rolling point and your bike rolls onto the shiny bits doing thousands in damage. Yes I know this from personal experience. The Altrider bars do not let the bike fall this far. The Altrider bars and the Wunderlich rear bars make it really hard to roll the bike. I Got a moving blanket after install and put the bike down on the bars and yanked with all my might trying to roll the bike and no go. This IMO is the way to go.

The only problem I've had is if your highway pegs are down and you drop the bike the pegs don't fold up. They break at the clamp costing $100. It's not if you drop it but when you drop it!!šŸ˜Ž

The only problem I've had is if your highway pegs are down and you drop the bike the pegs don't fold up. They break at the clamp costing $100. It's not if you drop it but when you drop it!!šŸ˜Ž

Ilium Bars on 2016 K1600 GTL

I installed them on my bike this Spring. I initially had some difficulty with the spacer and tried them on without using the spacer and the holes on the plastic pieces were off a fraction of an inch. I spent a little more time and finally got the spacers in place and the holes matched up perfectly. I did add the hiway pegs and I appreciate having one more position available after hours in the saddle. Also, that left foot does not seem to get quite as hot as when riding with the feet down off of the pegs.

Back