Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 15 GSA does not start on first attempt

  1. #1

    15 GSA does not start on first attempt

    Hi, I have a 2015 GSA and it does not start on first press of the starter switch, but ALWAYS on the second press.. Seems weird to me I have been putting up with it but now I worry something maybe screwed up. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Happens when engine is hot or cold.

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,166
    Welcome to the forum!
    There are many Members with the new Wethead, hang on and I'll bet you can get an answer.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Try hitting the starter right after you turn the key, don't give it time to cycle. worked for me for weeks, then it did not work, so i let it cycle and it started, i think they learn as they go.

  4. #4
    Registered User BMARC153920's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010rt View Post
    Try hitting the starter right after you turn the key, don't give it time to cycle. worked for me for weeks, then it did not work, so i let it cycle and it started, i think they learn as they go.
    Yep this, same exactly problem, same exact solution. Issue eventually resolved itself.

    Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Yep this, same exactly problem, same exact solution. Issue eventually resolved itself.

    Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk
    Thanks for info, will try this out - weird how this solves it, I thought I might be related to the injectors priming with fuel getting out of sync if that's even possible

  6. #6
    Registered User BMARC153920's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotski View Post
    Thanks for info, will try this out - weird how this solves it, I thought I might be related to the injectors priming with fuel getting out of sync if that's even possible
    I and a buddy with the same year bikes both had the same problem and ran dozens of tests over different temps and times of day to the point where we could reproduce and avoid this issue on demand.

    We came to the unofficial conclusion that either the fuel pump was shutting off during the reset process of the gauges and is turned back on after an initial start procedure or sensor is not being properly reset during the same process.

    Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered User wbrownell9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Castle, DE
    Posts
    402
    Had a '15 RT, started right off every time. Then it went through a period where it would crank with no result, but fire right up the second time. That lasted a while and it stopped, whether by software update or magic I have no idea. I can't really say exactly when it stopped, I just noticed one day it wasn't doing it anymore and hadn't for some time. I remember talking to someone at the Square Route Rally about it (his GS was doing the same thing) and it had stopped by the time I took it on vacation in September.
    2016 R1200 GSA

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Had a '15 RT, started right off every time. Then it went through a period where it would crank with no result, but fire right up the second time. That lasted a while and it stopped, whether by software update or magic I have no idea. I can't really say exactly when it stopped, I just noticed one day it wasn't doing it anymore and hadn't for some time. I remember talking to someone at the Square Route Rally about it (his GS was doing the same thing) and it had stopped by the time I took it on vacation in September.
    Has anyone have this go away and not come back? Seems to be common problem or maybe just a boxer characteristic! Good thing is it always always starts on second crank. I'm going for service this summer but has anyone had a dealer recognize and diagnose it ?

  9. #9
    Registered User donmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    35
    I have noticed that my 2015 R1200GSA will consistently start by just hitting the starter button when I do not advance the throttle. However, when I inadvertently do advance the throttle even slightly as I press the starter button, as I am accustomed to doing on my other bike, the engine consistently does not start up, but just continues cranking. When I then let loose of the throttle grip and hit just the starter button, the engine fires up immediately.

    Don
    2015 BMW R1200GSA.......2008 Kaw Concours 14......1974 Kaw Z1
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE....2004 BWM R1150RT..........1973 Kaw H1
    2010 Kaw Concours 14......1981 Kaw KZ1000

  10. #10
    Nope!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotski View Post
    Hi, I have a 2015 GSA and it does not start on first press of the starter switch, but ALWAYS on the second press.. Seems weird to me I have been putting up with it but now I worry something maybe screwed up. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Happens when engine is hot or cold.

    Judging from what I've read, this has been an issue on quite a number of WC since they came out in 2013.

    I recall seeing one of those light blue GS WC at a local dealer multiple times for that issue and a consistently noisy decompression valve.
    The tech tried everything and couldn't resolve the starting anomaly. Eventually the bike went back to the manufacturer because of the 2 issues and an unhappy owner.

    I owned 2 WC, a GS and an RT. Both would start upon first stab of the button every time.

    Here's one thread from June '14 ADVrider
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...gsa-wc.984683/

    I wouldn't worry about it much, maybe it'll change in time.

  12. #12
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,891
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010rt View Post
    Try hitting the starter right after you turn the key, don't give it time to cycle.
    That's what I do on my wethead GS and it starts right off every time.

    Harry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •