Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Anyone know how to get a product enhancement suggestion to BMW Motorrad?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    690

    Anyone know how to get a product enhancement suggestion to BMW Motorrad?

    I already contact Garmin on this but I think the idea needs to go to whatever division works w/ Garmin to develop Navigator GPS. Simply, Garmin produces a few versions of what they market as a backup camera that connects wirelessly to several models of car/RV GPS devices they produce. I would love to see this for our RTW's and perhaps the capability could be incorporated into Nav VI. It seems quite a few find the mirrors on RTW less than ideal, yet the GPS Prep puts the display for a rear view camera in the ideal position to improve rearview capability. Their camera models are already waterproof and wide-angle--I would love to be able to have this view of what's coming up behind me on a Navigator GPS

    Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 8.09.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 8.50.20 AM.jpg

  2. #2
    Registered User crustybeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pembroke Ontario Canada
    Posts
    113
    I think that is a Great idea!
    2006 DL 650 V-Strom
    2016 R1200RT

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    690
    It wouldn't take much to do since they already do this w/ several GPS devices, so I'm thinking maybe a petition/poll here? I could post a petition to sign on to but I know if I do that there will be a few old codgers who will say they don't need it or want it

    BMW obviously likes to dress up their machines w/ gadgetry, but this is one feature that I feel would sell even more Navigator GPS devices, and as I say it's already been implemented by Garmin, so pretty simple if BMW says they want it. Also, it's not a big hop to go from a rear view camera that sends video to the display, to having that also sense a rate of approach contrasted w/ closing speed to give you an alert of sorts. All of the safety features you see in cars nowadays--this is one that would be very nice to have to motorcycles: the number one type of collision by prevalence is being rear-ended, though that is probably more of a low speed collision. Anyway, I'd be happy to collect support here and send it along to BMW/Garmin if the interest is there.

  4. #4
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,646
    I tried to look for US DOT rules for the display of video (from whatever source) to a driver, but could not immediately find the rule. I wonder if that restriction might make this hard to do in the US. My 4-wheeled BMW has a backup camera which is on whenever the vehicle is in reverse and stays on for a few seconds once it's moving forward.

    Seems like a fine idea!
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

  5. #5
    Registered User donmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    35
    The rear camera would be an excellent start, but not limited to just the RT. I would like both rear and forward facing cameras that would operate as dashcams while moving, recording continuously and overwriting the oldest video segments in a loop. Garmin already has something quite similar, called the NuviCam, albeit only forward facing, and would thus know how to add the technology to a Nav-X.

    Recently I installed the Innovv K1S motorcycle dashcam system on my 2015 R1200GSA. Obviously I can't watch the video screen while riding, but can review it after stopping. After watching various dashcam videos on Youtube, I felt that the safety aspect would be important in case of an accident or close call. Although the K1S works OK, I would prefer that the functionality be integrated into a more professional GPS unit.

    Don
    2015 BMW R1200GSA.......2008 Kaw Concours 14......1974 Kaw Z1
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE....2004 BWM R1150RT..........1973 Kaw H1
    2010 Kaw Concours 14......1981 Kaw KZ1000

  6. #6
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,422
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I already contact Garmin on this but I think the idea needs to go to whatever division works w/ Garmin to develop Navigator GPS. Simply, Garmin produces a few versions of what they market as a backup camera that connects wirelessly to several models of car/RV GPS devices they produce. I would love to see this for our RTW's and perhaps the capability could be incorporated into Nav VI. It seems quite a few find the mirrors on RTW less than ideal, yet the GPS Prep puts the display for a rear view camera in the ideal position to improve rearview capability. Their camera models are already waterproof and wide-angle--I would love to be able to have this view of what's coming up behind me on a Navigator GPS

    Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 8.09.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 8.50.20 AM.jpg
    A while back, there was a unit of BMW Designworks at the LA studio that was looking for new information tech in the US.

    http://www.bmwgroupdesignworks.com/contact/

    I would try them.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I tried to look for US DOT rules for the display of video (from whatever source) to a driver, but could not immediately find the rule. I wonder if that restriction might make this hard to do in the US. My 4-wheeled BMW has a backup camera which is on whenever the vehicle is in reverse and stays on for a few seconds once it's moving forward.

    Seems like a fine idea!
    It's definitely not a new idea--this folks make a couple types: http://www.tadibrothers.com/catalog/...-backup-system

    I'd just like to see it live in RTW's GPS Prep mount since it's ideal for getting your attention, and with software controlled thru the Wonder Wheel, rather than mount another screen somewhere else. But likely this will take a while for BMW to get on to so may end up with one of these as they aren't very expensive. They offer several display options and the little flip up 3.5" if connected wirelessly *might be able* to be mounted above the GPS Prep mount (don't have my '16 yet so don't know how much room is there to work with).

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    A while back, there was a unit of BMW Designworks at the LA studio that was looking for new information tech in the US.

    http://www.bmwgroupdesignworks.com/contact/

    I would try them.
    Cool i will contact them and see thanks for that. This seems so easy to implement and just a guess but I think the market could be decent.

  9. #9
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Cool i will contact them and see thanks for that. This seems so easy to implement and just a guess but I think the market could be decent.
    Great idea!
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •