• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does anyone use a Fumoto oil/transmission drain plug on their RT?

dbaliko

I was wondering if anyone has used a Fumoto, or other type of quick drain plug to replace their drain plugs. It seems like it would be particularly useful for the transmission since it's such a mess to drain. Just push a hose on the drain plug and open it.

Doug

i have one on my Ford F150 and find it quite nice to change its oil....that said, i would think on the motor the valve would stick down much too far and be fair game for a rock or such....BUT, i think it would work very nicely on the gearbox...

i agree that some models are a bit of a pain to drain the GB although i dont have much trouble...

wyman

For engine oil, I'd worry about the loss of ground clearance. It might well be fine, but I'd still be thinking about it too much to be comfortable with it. I might consider the Fumoto valve for the car where it would be in a more protected spot.

For the transmission, I made a funnel from a heavy foil pie plate that worked with no spills and was disposable. Now my list of maintenance supplies includes cherry pie so, win-win. :thumb

In the summer of 2014, I was visiting my friend John out on Vancouver Island. He and I changed the oil on my 2011 RT, or more correctly, I was the fetch and carry guy. I had brought along a high quality oil drain spiggot and showed it to him. He said, "what's that for?". He refused to install it, saying he would not want to explain all about it to my wife when I had a fatal loss of oil accident. I re-packed the gadget.

In the summer of 2014, I was riding in Cape Breton, having completed the Cabot Trail ride the day before. Early morning, I failed to avoid the brick in the road, it flipped up and knocked the conventional drain plug right out. There was no crash, but it sure was a loss of oil incident.

So, I would suggest that you not install one of these as it just increases the risk too much in my opinion.

Full details on my blog if you are interested.

There is so little oil in a moto, and it is so easy to change, that a valve really isn't needed.

I do have one on my diesel truck. 16 qts of oil requires a way to turn off the flow mid drain to change containers.

Back