Thread: Factory tours, Museums and interesting sites while traveling to Das Rally?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Cool Factory tours, Museums and interesting sites while traveling to Das Rally?

I'm not a very good tourist but I am a fan of factory tours. Yeah, I realize that it's all tougher to see manufacturing done here nowadays. I also enjoy seeing engineering marvels done long ago by hard working men and women just by getting out there and doing it.

The Connecticut River Vally has a rich history of firearms manufacturing, not sure which does tours anymore.
    Ohio has always been a hub of real manufacturing. From Airstream RV's to Wilson footballs and Phoenix bats, Ohio is making it happen! and they don't mind letting you the a peek.

Cooperstown is not far if you are a baseball fan. The Rock n' Roll Hall of fame in Cleveland looks like a good take.
    Down in York PA, the Harley Davidson Factory has tours and an everything HD shop. Perhaps Milwaukee has something as well. There is a massive Cabela's in Hamburg PA.
    The Erie Canal with it's fascinating system of locks is a tribute to hard work and determination.

And, of course, you can stop in Buffalo for some wings.

Where do you plan to stop- and take a look?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat
    Industrial - Technical

Corning Glass Museum, Corning, NY
    Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY
    National Soaring Museum in Elmira, NY
    Zippo / Case Museum in Bradford, PA
    Drake Oil well in Titusville PA

Things that aren't there, but should be: Bell Aircraft Museum in Buffalo

Art

Eastman Gallery, Rochester
    Eastman Museum, Rochester (Photo and Film collection)

Natural sites

Letchworth Park, South of Batavia, NY

Rally Rat

Smile

If the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame is your thing (I've toured it - cool), take in dinner next door on the moored ship - nice venue and great food.

If passing near Erie, PA (I cruised thru there last summer on the bike), the Erie Maritime Museum has the US Brig NIAGARA permanently berthed in the harbor. On certain nights of the week in summer, they show classic movies on the deck, using the main sail as a screen. Neat!

Milwaukee could offer you the Harley-Davidson Museum and restaurant complex - worth a visit on any brand motorcycle, right next to the river walk area.

Also, Miller Park (in Milwaukee) is a premiere venue in major league baseball. Take in lunch at the TGI Friday's inside (open 7 days a week) and see much of the stadium without purchasing a game day ticket.

E-mail any or all of these sites for details and enjoy your ride to and from the Rally!