• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Versatile Riding Gear

KevinRT

KevinRT
I am looking for recommendations on new riding gear that will reasonably comfortably offer three season use. Winter is not one of those seasons.

My criteria are: athletic or slim fit, 3/4 length jacket (I'm long in the torso so waist cut jackets look silly on me), Goretex or similar but NOT removable liners, particularly in the pants (never understood liners for pants - one has to undress by side of the road to put the liners in!?), don't care about thermal layers as I prefer using my existing solutions, good venting, good storage (pockets), not predominantly black (especially the jacket), and I'd like to be able to take the pants off without removing my boots. I presently wear mesh for the summer and a Roadcrafter for spring and fall. I don't want another Roadcrafter as I find it too hot. (If they got rid of that damned taffeta lining, that might change.) The closest I've seen to meeting my requirements is the now discontinued Klim Latitude Misano jacket and pants, however, the pants would not come off without removing boots. Also, the new Latitude jacket is now predominantly black which would make it hotter than I would like in warmer weather. I know Aerostich has their new light weight Roadcrafter but I don't want a one piece suit. I ride 100% street with the occasional gravel road thrown in and my intended use of the new gear is extended touring.

I've really searched a lot but keep coming up empty. Any suggestions?

I had a Roadcrafter for years and had the same complaint regarding the liner. Never understood why they didn't just use a mesh liner like Klim or others. I live in Texas so any non vented gear in the warmer months (the majority down here) needs to flow lots of air. A couple years back, when my Roadcrafter had shrunk, I decided to try the Darien/AD 1 setup.
Because the Darien is unlined you get away from those taffeta liner issues. It's still warm but because it is cut looser (than a Roadcrafter) it flows sufficient air to stay comfortable in warmer weather. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of the AD 1's. My solution for the bottom is Olympia Airglide pants (less the liner of course). If the weather becomes an issue I just throw the AD 1's, minus the pads, on over the Airglides. On cooler days I just wear the AD 1's with the pads and pack the Airglides. In both cases, Airglides and AD 1, you can remove or put them on without taking your boots off.
Of course the draw back to this arrangement is an extra set of pants but the advantage is a setup that comfortably covers a wide range of conditions and can be quickly adjusted to weather conditions without the hassle of liners where you have to take things off to put them in.
It's not a perfect setup but I do a lot of miles in widely variable conditions and it works for me. Good luck in your search.

I'm a big fan of Motoport. It's a big initial investment but superior quality and should last for decades. Plus it's all custom made. I had a pair of mesh kevlar pants I bought with BMW compensation money after the 2014 RT recall. Last summer I lost 75 lbs and those pants were the only piece of motorcycle gear I didn't have to sell or throw away and replace: Motoport was able to take 8 inches off the waist and make them fit.

I have a Roadcrafter two-piece as well as a Darian jacket which I use with the RC pants with a bib-top. I also have a First Gear mesh jacket, a First Gear something jacket, and a Tourmaster Transition 2 Jacket. A couple pairs of mesh pants, and a pair of First Gear pants. Oh, and I have an Aerostich Transit 2 set of waterproof vented leathers.

I live in far southwest Texas, but usually head for cooler areas once the worst of the summer heat hits. When we leave here we usually plan to be on the road at least 4 months.

My go-to combination for 4 seasons is the Darian Jacket and one or the other of two pairs of pants - the Roadcrafter bib set and a set of mesh pants. Other than my mesh jacket the Darian in the coolest. Mesh doesn't work well in the southwest and west because it allows dehydration too quickly. I wear the mesh jacket for short trips, or dirt biking around home. Not for travel at all. Last summer all I took was the Transit 2 but will probably take the Darian this year.

Have a look at the newly upgraded Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket. And Firstgear offers several models of pants including their excellent TPG (but no Kili pant).

I have a Roadcrafter two-piece as well as a Darian jacket which I use with the RC pants with a bib-top.

I just ordered a bib-top for my Roadcrafter two-piece. I may get a Darien jacket some time. I do have a pair of riding pants with the thigh-panel mesh for venting. The panels can be zipped up and closed. I think it's an Olympia.

Harry

Motoport +1

I'm with Rockbottom....have had the silver colored mesh jacket & pants for 3 years now....AMAZING air flow...excellent liner for jacket makes for 3 season use, I use my own liners for pants depending on temps......company very easy to get along with.....at VERY high temps (100+) there is probably too much venting....wet/damp long sleeve shirt works best then.:thumb

Thanks for the input but nothing so far that would part me from my money. I don't like the Darien jacket - cut is too boxy for my slender frame, and I don't like the outline of the pad pocket Velcro tabs that show on the outside - makes it look cheap IMO. Motoport stuff relies on liners and the cut is too boxy for me anyways. Don't like their colours. I looked at the First Gear stuff (Kilimanjaro, Rainier, Kathmandu) but the venting looks inadequate for the jackets and the pants would require boots to come off before the pants come off.

I might consider the AD1 overpants from Aerostich but the lack of venting is an issue. Also, I am not sure I like the zippers on the outside of the pants as they could be vulnerable to splitting open in a crash. In fact, one of the reviewers had this happen to him though he luckily escaped harm. On the other hand, if they had a two-way zipper, one could use them to make a vent halfway down the leg if required.

With all the manufacturers out there, most with multiple offerings, I am amazed that there is seemingly nothing out there that fits my criteria. The search continues.

If you haven't already, check out the BMW line as there might be something that would work for you. All of their riding apparel is first class, and tends to be more on the stylish side which might be more to your liking. I know how frustrating it is trying to find what you want, especially when you have specific taste. Good luck in your search...:).

Thanks for the input but nothing so far that would part me from my money. I don't like the Darien jacket - cut is too boxy for my slender frame, and I don't like the outline of the pad pocket Velcro tabs that show on the outside - makes it look cheap IMO. Motoport stuff relies on liners and the cut is too boxy for me anyways. Don't like their colours. I looked at the First Gear stuff (Kilimanjaro, Rainier, Kathmandu) but the venting looks inadequate for the jackets and the pants would require boots to come off before the pants come off.

I might consider the AD1 overpants from Aerostich but the lack of venting is an issue. Also, I am not sure I like the zippers on the outside of the pants as they could be vulnerable to splitting open in a crash. In fact, one of the reviewers had this happen to him though he luckily escaped harm. On the other hand, if they had a two-way zipper, one could use them to make a vent halfway down the leg if required.

With all the manufacturers out there, most with multiple offerings, I am amazed that there is seemingly nothing out there that fits my criteria. The search continues.

Have you checked out the product line from Spidi? They have a trim European style fit and some of their has liners and some has waterproofing built into the fabric. Although it isn't budget apparel, it appears to be well made, and is good looking as well, imo.

Riding gear

First Gear is an excellent value for the price point.

But just for the heck of it, check out the new Olympia Airglide 5 that replaces the 4. With the Airglide 5, one can wear the rain liner either inside the jacket or outside the jacket. And the Airglide 5 looks about an inch longer than the 4. My information is from Revzilla.

H

Spidi's pants have removable liners, so they're out. Olympia is cut like a box so not appropriate for my frame. I also think their quality is a bit lower than I would like. The Teisz gear doesn't have any waterproofing whatsoever, so that is out too. See what I mean? There's nothing out there that meets my criteria. Picky! Picky! Picky! I know.

If this gear had longer zippers it would be near perfect:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-adventure-rally-pants

Price is outrageous but I would spend it considering something of that quality would be the last piece of gear I would ever buy.

Anyone else have a recommendation? Bueller? Bueller?

Look at British Motorcycle gear

http://britishmotorcyclegear.com/jackets.html

I have the Belstaff Jacket, and older version, and I love it.
Same material as BMW gear and at a less price point.

Now, if I may pontificate a bit, we are all so concerned about protecting our heads with first class helmets. I have learned the hard way (read: totaled a bike, and I bounced and rolled across a highway) that all riding gear is important. When I went down I was riding First Gear Armored mesh, and the stuff took the hits-not me!

Top of the price point is Aerostich and Motoport, both custom and $$$
BMW jacket and pants are a close second in quality and price, plus you get 3 year warranty
Many of the other brands, make quality gear, it's in the details that make the difference, zippers, pockets and armor come to mind first
Over a five year period I tried many different brands
MOTOPORT is my go to gear, for short rides my British motorcycle gear leather jacket and draggin kelver jeans.
Buy the best, most comfortable your pocket book allows

I like my Rev'It gear. Have the Olympia Air Mesh and some BMW as well, but find I wear my Rev'It far more often.

have you tried LookWell

Lookwell is a European Brand without alot of press in the Americas. I've had a couple of items that performed well in all weather from Monsoons in south Florida to ~30s in North Georgia. They have a varied product line so check the actual item for the features you want.
I've been satisfied with them.

Ron

Back