Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blue tooth head set

Blue tooth head set

I'm looking to get a Bluetooth headset to pair with my Nav5. I have a dual sport helmet and usually ride by myself.
    Any thoughts would be cool.
    Cheers!

Sena SMH10.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Sena SMH10.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk
    Thanks

I have an SMH10 and I'd recommend it, but it's been recently succeeded by the 10S (the latest version of the "10 series"). Go to SENA's website and you can see all their products. They're available from many sources.

There's a review here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...na-10s-review/
    Last edited by marcopolo; 05-04-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

I've had Interpohne and Scala and would recommend Interphone. The latest interphone we have is the previous model to the FXMC so I can't comment on the latest although there is an extensive article in the MOA ON Magazine this month.

The Interphone is one of those systems that just works and doesn't require you to be a tech monkey to understand or remember the sequences of controls.
    My wife and I used ours for 35 days in a row on our last trip around the US and it worked day in day out with great battery life (up to 7 or 8 hours on some days). Then a recharge at the hotel and ready for the next day. It can run off the bike power if required too. Range was great for bike to bike also.

It hooks up with the Nav V perfectly and a single icon on the Nav's display can mute the directional calls if you just want to keep chatting. If you have a bike that hooks up directly to the Nav V then the headset will also notify you with alerts from the GPS for things like low fuel or tyre pressure warning etc.

Swapping over to music or calls on your smart phone (if that's your thing) is a simple button press.

And I like the look of the unit. It's small and looks the part. The Scala (and some other brands) try to look too fancy and call out for attention. The Interphone is just a satin black rubberized finish with subtle branding.
    It mounts well and very easily to the side of the helmet. They provide a clamp and optional adhesive pad. The 3M adhesive is great and you won't need the clamp unless you want to take it off easily. We have Shoei helmets which have internal features to hold the speakers. The system comes with a boom or a wired microphone to suit different helmet types. The noise cancelling capabilities are good but as with any of these, it helps if you keep high speed wind away from the mic.
    The module dismounts from the helmet mount (clamp or adhesive mount) easily so you can charge the unit away from the helmet, but you can also charge it in place.

And one final point, we had the earlier model Interphone F5 and now have the F5XT and they can be used together, but also plug into the same mount. So we take the older units as a backup on long holidays - just in case. Never needed them though, these are rock solid pieces of kit.
    Mark Hubble
    2015 - R1200GS Black Storm Metallic
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA

Ed Kilner #176066
    I have a Cardo G9 and it works fine with my 2015 RT's audio system, my Samsung S5, and Nav V. All simultaneously.

I have heard good things about Sena, but have no experience with it.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

SENA SMH5-FM works fine for me. All I needed was something to tap into voice navigation from the Nav V.

Harry

Thanks all for the input......still deciding
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    SENA SMH5-FM works fine for me. All I needed was something to tap into voice navigation from the Nav V.

Harry
    Thanks, Harry.
    That's pretty much all I need as well
    Cheers!

Krmugin
    I've tried several. Here goes.

1. Sena SMH10- great unit overall. Doesn't 'audio multitask', so if you have a chatty riding partner, you'll never hear any music...

2. Sena 20S- You can hear music while chatting/listening to chatting. I'm on my third after two were warrantied. I'm still not happy, and have purchased Cardo Pack talk for me and the better half. I've tried the Pack talk, and been very happy riding with it solo. You can 'universal intercom' and talk between brands, but you lose the ability to pair to your phone and GPS when doing so. The videos are great, but the unit is sensitive to water and, in my experience, fragile.

3. Pack Talk- I like it best, but it definitely works differently than the Sena products. I think it's easier, once you learn how to press the buttons, and don't expect it to work like the Sena. The Sena 'wonder wheel' is great, but it's actually more complicated to learn the different press, press and hold, press/hold/and twist, etc. Now if I can get the pretty one to learn the Pack Talk, we're set. Sena does have decent videos on their website now, and that helps.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krmugin View Post
    I've tried several. Here goes.

1. Sena SMH10- great unit overall. Doesn't 'audio multitask', so if you have a chatty riding partner, you'll never hear any music...

2. Sena 20S- You can hear music while chatting/listening to chatting. I'm on my third after two were warrantied. I'm still not happy, and have purchased Cardo Pack talk for me and the better half. I've tried the Pack talk, and been very happy riding with it solo. You can 'universal intercom' and talk between brands, but you lose the ability to pair to your phone and GPS when doing so. The videos are great, but the unit is sensitive to water and, in my experience, fragile.

3. Pack Talk- I like it best, but it definitely works differently than the Sena products. I think it's easier, once you learn how to press the buttons, and don't expect it to work like the Sena. The Sena 'wonder wheel' is great, but it's actually more complicated to learn the different press, press and hold, press/hold/and twist, etc. Now if I can get the pretty one to learn the Pack Talk, we're set. Sena does have decent videos on their website now, and that helps.

Good luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post

Harry
    Can't beat it, under $100

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    If all you're looking for is Nav to helmet, any of the Sena products will work without any pushing of buttons or anything else. Just pair it to your Nav when you get it initially and that is it! Every time you turn on your Nav and Sena they'll automatically connect and the Nav directions will just flow. No need to concern yourself with a single button other than pressing a button to turn it on.

If you do a lot of distance riding than one feature the Sena has that most others don't, is that it can be used while being charged so if you've forgotten to charge it, use plug it into the bike and away you go. That feature isn't available on the Cardo/Scala/Schuberth/BMW units nor most others. It has saved me a couple of times.

Also, if you wish to use any of the other feature at any time in the future, they're there for you to explore and enjoy.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

I've had the SMH10 from SENA for some time now - very pleased with it. It's been an industry-workhorse.

However, just pulled those units from a pair of Shoei RF1200's and re-installed the new SENA 10S.

SENA sent a dual set to me for a product evaluation for a magazine I write for - anxious to finish this task.

This is their latest model and literally does everything.

For example, Automatic Noise Cancelling, pairing with 3 other bikes within 1 mile (line-of-sight), interfaces with virtually any Bluetooth device (Smartphones, GPS, Go-Pro cameras, MP3, FM pre-sets, etc.)

Universal Intercom - can link with any other SENA model and most other brands, so buddies can stay in contact, regardless of what comm system they might be using.

The list goes on - point is, it's quite the piece of hardware (even an App from SENA downloaded to my phone, from which I can set or modify the settings on my helmet).

All this is a bit overwhelming for many riders - myself included. I treat my comm systems like the remote control from my cable provider - 58 buttons on the device - I use 16 of them.

I believe any electronic device should work for me - not the other way around.

I'll use the 10S for rider to passenger communication and to hear GPS instructions - that's about it, for now.

If thinking about buying SENA (which I'd recommend), consider the 10S!

I have a pair of Sena 20S and have been very happy with them. When I have a pillion the pairing is fast and painless. When I am solo, which is most of the time, my headset pairs up automatically with my GPS and phone. I don't like taking or making calls most of the time when on the bike so I turn the Bluetooth on my phone off most of the time.