Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the BMWMOA?

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Windows anything tends to commit suicide randomly without any help from users.

OS-X Rules
    While that may have been true a decade ago it is not my experience now. In the last few years most of my failures have been of the Apple variety instead. This in an organization that runs 70/30 MS/Apple. Disappointing especially after paying the apple tax but I have the invoices to prove it. Hard drive failure rates in the iMac has been very high and what a pain to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I was referring to Bart Simpsons dad, and his issues with clouds. Why Bart Simpsons dad spends so much time on the forums under so many different user names... I'll never know.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    "Angry old guy rants". The guy was expressing his opinion. Agree or disagree, fair enough, but being so dismissive of a member's opinion is not the way to go about it in my opinion.
    Thanks............After Paul's effort to help out it turned into the typical playground of the "make fun of him" folks........Again....Thanks

Some of these "angry old guys" are the ONES who made the BMW MOA the once great organization that it was. Thank you "angry old guys", I've enjoyed it!
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

So I'm to understand that certain individuals get a free pass to be negative and hateful? So us "youngsters" that have only been in the MOA for 7 years or so have to earn our strips before we have full right and privledges to be critical, negative, and venomous on the forums? I was jumping out of C-141 in combat having people shoot at me in 1989, not riding a motorcycle. Though some may try to shut me down on the forums by calling any reference to my prior military service as "Self Adulation", I ain't going nowhere. And if staring down the barrel of my nation's enemie's weapons didn't intimate me, nothing no one can say on these forums will prevent me from calling a spade a spade. I earned my stripes way before I showed up in the MOA. You want to be an ass on the forums, by all means knock yourself out. But don't expect me to cowtow to ignorance or hatefulness. I and others were trying to add levity to the thread and the typical crowd showed up to shut us down. How's that working out for ya?
    Last edited by rangerreece; 02-22-2016 at 03:57 PM.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Really?

I would love the forum to be a place of comraderie and support for BMW riders. Like the rallies I've attended over the years. But I can only do what I do.

What I bring tends to be positive and that's what I look for in others. I don't feed trolls. Usually.

And when I read a negative post I consider the source and move on. It doesn't color what I think about being here though to a casual observer or new member I'm afraid this can be an unwelcoming place.

I would love to zap every negative post but our moderators tolerate quite a bit in the interest of keeping this a real PG13 place. What I'd really love to zap are the people who call out others for negativity, but if you look at their posts . . .

Voni

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    This Member had a problem- help was offered. Whether he wants the help or not is up to him.
    As for him being made fun of? I don't think so. It's the situation that Members are having fun with as this is such a common theme that TV shows are using it as humor.
    Humor is something the world needs more of.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Humor is something the world needs more of.
    OM
    Thanks for saying that Gary. Once we're all riding regularly again, miles and sMiles (thank you Voni!) will follow.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Voni, I feel it a privledge to celebrate the positive and to engage in the civil. I also feel obligated to stand firm against those who's hubris dictates a need to attack others on the forum. I'm used to having a bulls eye on my chest. I can handle it. I cannot remain silent while a select few drive new members away with their targeted attacks. When you choose to not use tact by using words like SUCKS and WTF in all caps you opened the door to be criticized. There are tactful ways to address issues within the MOA and on the forums as there are in verbal discourse. If you choose to be hateful and uber critical don't be surprised if people like me Call you out on it.

But, that said, I don't need to tell you this as you and Paul have always conducted yourself on the forums as ambassadors, with honor. The two of you have never pulled the seniority card as an excuse to be anything less than honorable. I know I'm ruff around the edges. It's how I was created, how I was formed. The restraint and humility you and Paul bring to the forums and the club serve as an example for me at least, maybe others as well. I know I fail at times in my tact but I'm working on it. I just don't want the club to eat its own. How many new members in the club are lurking in the background, forming their opinion of the club by what is being said, or not said? I have this overwhelming urge to protect the new members like the father of a newborn. It is my nature.
    Last edited by rangerreece; 02-22-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

don't do this, just call the office and someone will be happy to walk you through it. MOA members are some of the best and cover a broad spectrum of ages and attitudes. To me this speaks volumes for the CLUB. It takes caring to try to maintain and meet such various needs. The old saying can't please everyone all the time is true but there is something for everyone with the MOA, it just may not be the flea market.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    "Angry old guy rants". The guy was expressing his opinion. Agree or disagree, fair enough, but being so dismissive of a member's opinion is not the way to go about it in my opinion.

I agree , and I'll add [if I'm allowed]

Why is it that a person past a certain age, expressing his / her opinion / speaking out against something that just happens to be modern is somehow equated to stealing babies

Number {1} ;...if we're lucky we all get older, {2} if we're really lucky we can remember things past, if we do ? why is it such a sin to remember them fondly ?

[IMO] {if we're permitted to have one } I believe it is human nature to embrace modern advances that show an obvious advantage as well as to cling to the past when no real advantage is seen for a particular issue.

There is good / bad , positive / negative in all things . If we have experienced something that was [too us] the "cat's meow" [how's that for age] it is only natural to morn it's demise .

Some day you younger guys reading this & shaking your collective heads at my words .......will miss something & opine against it as well................if you're lucky.....jmo
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I agree , and I'll add [if I'm allowed]

Why is it that a person past a certain age, expressing his / her opinion / speaking out against something that just happens to be modern is somehow equated to stealing babies

Number {1} ;...if we're lucky we all get older, {2} if we're really lucky we can remember things past, if we do ? why is it such a sin to remember them fondly ?

[IMO] {if we're permitted to have one } I believe it is human nature to embrace modern advances that show an obvious advantage as well as to cling to the past when no real advantage is seen for a particular issue.

There is good / bad , positive / negative in all things . If we have experienced something that was [too us] the "cat's meow" [how's that for age] it is only natural to morn it's demise .

Some day you younger guys reading this & shaking your collective heads at my words .......will miss something & opine against it as well................if you're lucky.....jmo
    Now THAT is well said! Thank you Ron. However, you are obviously suffering from dementia , and I AM KIDDING.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

I just have a hard time with Bullies........Taught for a long time in the various kinds of "shops". The class would be sitting there and in would walk someone "different", handicapped, mentally challenged, or the like. After they would leave, after doing their business, I would hear some remark that was a veiled "put down". Immediately, I would call the person out, and advise them that I didn't put up with that. "I was only joking" would come out typically. Often, "it didn't hurt them, they didn't hear that". The person would then get a little "talk" advising them that that didn't go on in my classroom or area.......I would see the others in the class thank me with their eyes, and often after class advise me that Billy Bod does that to everyone and they would be so glad.................

So, yes, in life, I pretty much do the same thing.........So, call it as you might. Did the same thing in the military, in public, and just live my life that way. IF YOU FEEL THAT I AM ATTACKING YOU, PUTTING YOU DOWN, ARGUING, or DIMINISHING WHATEVER IT IS YOU HAVE DONE IN YOUR LIFE.......I surely don't mean to hurt your feelings. On here, PM's are for private discussion of hurt feelings. I surely don't try to reply in a manner that is threatening anyone's ego. Sorry it does.........God bless.....Dennis

What happened to the BMWMOA?

It got lost when it moved to South Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Around here I am referred to as : Oldt man sign ze papers
    I don't yell at clouds I yell at the television
    Perhaps you are a man of a certain age?

That age would be mine.