• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

removing front wheel without paddock stand or jack

droptine

Droptine1968
I have a 2005 R1200rt. Normally when on the center stand the front tire is on the ground and it allows removal of the rear wheel without issue. What I'm wondering is if I strap down the rear tire to the ground, is it too much stress on the center stand or the center stand bolts. I'm also curious if it's safe to use one of those small scissor jacks on the bottom of the engine casing to lift the bike.

Either way works. You can put something heavy on the back of the bike or jack up the front of the engine. I use a piece of wood over the jack to distribute the weight a little better. Just remember if you put something on the back, make sure it can't easily fall off as the bike will tip forward onto the forks.

I have a 2005 R1200rt. Normally when on the center stand the front tire is on the ground and it allows removal of the rear wheel without issue. What I'm wondering is if I strap down the rear tire to the ground, is it too much stress on the center stand or the center stand bolts. I'm also curious if it's safe to use one of those small scissor jacks on the bottom of the engine casing to lift the bike.

I use a scissor jack regularly to lift the front wheel of all our bikes and have done so scores of times. I have a piece of soft pine attached to the top of my jack. This includes a past 07 RT and a friend's RT. I do it on a lift and have the bike tied down with a strap on either side. So far no excitement and no damage.

I have a 4X4 block with a divot I cut in it to place under the cross member of the exhaust. I have it cut so it places the front wheel about an inch off the ground for removal. It holds the bike securely while the front wheel is out, does not hurt the exhaust and is easy to put in place, just have someone push down on the back while the bike is on the center stand. I've used this tool numerous times very effective.

I have used the jack with wood, or have someone push down on the back and place wood blocks under the engine.
dc

I'm also curious if it's safe to use one of those small scissor jacks on the bottom of the engine casing to lift the bike.

I like a scissor jack better than a cheap bottle jack. A cheap bottle jack can leak down unless you place blocks under the bike.

You can buy a front wheel stand from Motorcycle Superstore for $38.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35861/i/motostance-m-1-front-stand

Front_Stand.jpg

IMG_00018.jpg

I like a scissor jack better than a cheap bottle jack. A cheap bottle jack can leak down unless you place blocks under the bike.

You can buy a front wheel stand from Motorcycle Superstore for $38.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35861/i/motostance-m-1-front-stand

Front_Stand.jpg

IMG_00018.jpg

I've always heard that you should lift the rear tire with a rear wheel stand before you use a front wheel stand like yours. Are you only using the front stand? I have not used one, but my concern with a rear stand on the RT is that the swingarm is on the opposite side of the kick stand. It's a heavy bike to to try to balance from behind and put the rear stand on.

So, sit on the bike, on the centerstand. Slide back until the bike pivots on the center stand until the back wheel is on the ground and the front wheel off the ground. Did anything break? I didn't think so. I've done it many times.

If it works with a rider astride it certainly will work with a jack, or the back strapped down.

Used the Pitbull front stand on my 05RT and many friends w/out issues. Use it on most models without additional steps.

Before the front stand, I used a 45lb round weight on a towel sitting on the rear rack for many a tire change on the RT.

Have also used the rear stand that fits in big hole of final drive at same time. If I have help nearby, I'll ask them to steady the bike until set. On that set up, you need to set the rear before lifting the front as the bike will move lifting the rear off the centerstand. Some bikes it doesn't lift the centerstand...much!
Our R12S has no centerstand so have to be ready to lift the rear and have faith! Slow and steady works .It takes some practice to use the rear and balance the bike, but not really an issue.

Don't overthink it:thumb

I've always heard that you should lift the rear tire with a rear wheel stand before you use a front wheel stand like yours. Are you only using the front stand? I have not used one, but my concern with a rear stand on the RT is that the swingarm is on the opposite side of the kick stand. It's a heavy bike to to try to balance from behind and put the rear stand on.

When using a front stand you need to make sure the rear tire does not touch the ground when you lift the front tire.
If you're removing both wheels, remove the rear before removing the front. That's one way to take care of the problem.

If you're only removing the front you may need to place a piece of plywood under the centerstand to give the rear wheel more clearance.
If you look at my top picture you'll see I placed a thin piece of plywood under my centerstand.
Hope this helps.

Front_Stand.jpg

In the picture below I removed both wheels and removed the rear first. You can see I didn't use anything under the centerstand in this picture.
Tires2.JPG

Being a little OCD I like the front stand for cleaning the front wheel.
Using two hitch pins which slide into the hollow axle on our bikes I can raise the front tire 1/4" to 1/2" off the ground and freely spin the front wheel.
IMG_0226.jpg

P1000663_Large_.JPG

Last edited:
:thumb:thumb:thumb

Assuming the lift is flush with the floor when lowered, how do you jack it up?

How often do you drop tools, bolts and screws into the pit?

i use air pressure....yes, it is flush...

so far not too many dropped anything.....easy to retrieve though when it does happen...:)

Sassy 5.jpg

i use air pressure....yes, it is flush...

so far not too many dropped anything.....easy to retrieve though when it does happen...:)

View attachment 54759

Looks like you cut the concrete and laid an air line in the floor. Looks like fresh concrete or grout running from the right side of the stand.

In Iowa you would need a drain in the pit to drain off all the melted snow from your vehicle.

Probably not a problem in Ca.

Nice setup :thumb

Looks like you cut the concrete and laid an air line in the floor. Looks like fresh concrete or grout running from the right side of the stand.

In Iowa you would need a drain in the pit to drain off all the melted snow from your vehicle.

Probably not a problem in Ca.

Nice setup :thumb

what the heck is snow.....??? heck, we dont really even have rain anymore.....sadly....

yes, i did cut the floor for a conduit for the air line....simple job cutting the floor by the concrete cutting contractor...

thanks!!!

Back