Thread: EBC or Spiegler disc brake rotors for R100?

EBC or Spiegler disc brake rotors for R100?

Any personal experience with new EBC rotors, or modifications of original rotors to semi-floating rotors by Spiegler. I see the EBC rotors for about $225 (even less on eBay), and Spiegler is $259, but uses original rotor hub. Factory rotors were more than $400, and out of stock.

I would assume the floating, or semi-floating rotors would have to be an improvement over original anyway.

I have the EBCs on my /7- I like 'em.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

I don't have experience with one brand vs. another, but the first time I bought new rotors for my 85 R80RT, I bought the really expensive BMW rotors and saved my old ones. Having the old rotors on hand made it easy to buy from Spiegler the second time round since I did not have to send in the rotors I was actually using. I wanted new pads at the same time and the Ferodo pads that Spiegler sent me would squeal loudly as I came to a stop - I put up with that for months thinking that the pads just needed to bed in. Switching back to stock pads took care of the squeal.

I like the semi-floating idea, but I can't really tell any difference. The braking seems at least as good as with the stock rotors and the rotors look good. Spiegler must media-blast the old carriers because they look like new when you get them back. The 85's came with SS rotors and the Spieglers are SS also, so I can't speak to any differences there. I've had them for several years and they don't seem to be wearing too quickly or anything like that.

Since I've already got another set of spares stashed away, I'll probably go with Spiegler again - seems like an nicely finished, durable and well made product. Maybe not the cheapest route, but anything looks cheap compared to what BMW is charging these days.

I like Spiegler rotor conversion on my R65LS
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K1200GT & R65LS

Thanks for the testimonials

I've had good experiences with EBC and their customer service on a non-BMW (they replaced a warped rotor more than a year after purchase and I would bet it was not the rotor's fault). Use EBC pads with them and bed them in properly.

To explain the above -- I put an oversize rotor and a GSXR caliper on a single disk Honda 650 Hawk. That bike got pushed pretty hard and the disk warped after the bushings went on one of the forks. After replacement and proper bedding in that bike went 10k before I sold it without any more problems.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

Quote Originally Posted by ccolwell View Post
    I've had good experiences with EBC and their customer service on a non-BMW (they replaced a warped rotor more than a year after purchase and I would bet it was not the rotor's fault). Use EBC pads with them and bed them in properly.

To explain the above -- I put an oversize rotor and a GSXR caliper on a single disk Honda 650 Hawk. That bike got pushed pretty hard and the disk warped after the bushings went on one of the forks. After replacement and proper bedding in that bike went 10k before I sold it without any more problems.
    Agree on warranty - my EBC rotors started picking up corrosion and they replaced the but I have to say, I think Spiegler may use higher quality materials as have not had any corrosion and the bike stops smoother but not exactly apples to apples because K75s has always had some minor pulsing and is a known issue on the "s" for some owners and the Spieglers are on my R65LS and they don't pulse at all.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K1200GT & R65LS