Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sew I started learning how to sew today

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Sewing

Mine is up on Raymond Ave, near Vassar College. Run by a nice older Korean lady, gives me a nice pink receipt for everything I leave her. Tells me to come back in a couple of days, and doesn't even charge a lot. Sometimes I pick up and deliver in my sidecar rig. Works fine for me.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    I mislead you. The foot only presses on the electronic controller.
    Darn it, Bud. I was really impressed by my misconception of reality..........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Darn it, Bud. I was really impressed by my misconception of reality..........
    Welcome to my world.

The nicest thing about living in your own world is that it can be anything you want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Mine is up on Raymond Ave, near Vassar College. Run by a nice older Korean lady, gives me a nice pink receipt for everything I leave her. Tells me to come back in a couple of days, and doesn't even charge a lot. Sometimes I pick up and deliver in my sidecar rig. Works fine for me.

Friedle
    A local Vietnamize woman has a tiny one woman shop here. She does great work on my motorcycle gear. She even put all new zippers in an old Vanson jacket of mine. It has given that old jacket many more years of life.

Sewing, really a lost art in our throw away society.

The only sewing I did on my sailboats was emergency hand stiching with waxed thread. Nothing pretty, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post

The only sewing I did on my sailboats was emergency hand stiching with waxed thread. Nothing pretty, but it worked.
    Many Goodwill stores are no longer accepting clothes donations. It used to be, the excess was sent to world-wide charities for distribution in Africa, the Caribbean, etc., but low cost production of new clothing now has greatly reduced the market for the thrift shop clothing. Where does the donated clothing go..........shop rags, sold by the lb.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post

A long time ago my wife used to sew for a living and she used to make a lot of our clothes because back then it was hard to find clothes with long enough arm and legs for us.
    She got where she stopped making garments for people because she was lucky if she made minimum wage. She could make a better wage on alterations.
    Once in awhile she still does some work for friends, mostly alterations for bridesmaids or prom dresses.
    I think the biggest project she ever did was my sister's wedding dress. She's 6'2" tall and could not find a ready made one.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

My mother worked at a department store doing alterations. Try that at Macy's today!

She was still trying to sew at 92.

I'm only doing this because I'm too darn cheap to pay the prices that boat canvas people want for a bimini and dodger. I told Nancy that I could pay for the machine and have money left over with just those two projects.

I had a Cadet once who was 6'4", very athletic and a karate instructor; his first name was Claire. He worked his way through school making wedding dresses and making and selling a variety of bags for use in the outdoors (map cases, toiletry kits, duffle bags). I have often wished I could sew. Very often I have wanted somthing made that I could not find or an item altered but the price at a seamstress was too high. I admire your initiative, Bud... how long until you are taking in work, with a MOA discount, of course.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Looks pretty good to me! I HATE, HATE, HATE to sew. Can I send you all my stuff that needs to be sewn?
    Sure thing!

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I had a Cadet once who was 6'4", very athletic and a karate instructor; his first name was Claire. He worked his way through school making wedding dresses and making and selling a variety of bags for use in the outdoors (map cases, toiletry kits, duffle bags). I have often wished I could sew. Very often I have wanted somthing made that I could not find or an item altered but the price at a seamstress was too high. I admire your initiative, Bud... how long until you are taking in work, with a MOA discount, of course.
    Kevin,

I think it will be a while before I could sew well enough to charge people (even at a discounted rate).

RK Ryder
    Kevin,

I think it will be a while before I could sew well enough to charge people (even at a discounted rate).
    Don't dismiss your ability so lightly Bud. I've seen you take my bike apart and then reassemble. You are quite the craftsman in your wood workshop and spend your summers navigating a sailboat when you are not touring new roads on your bikes. And now you are using a sewing machine, embarking with a new talent.

Bud, you are a man of many talents.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Kevin,

Ah ha!!!! Sew, free sewing.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Don't dismiss your ability so lightly Bud. I've seen you take my bike apart and then reassemble. You are quite the craftsman in your wood workshop and spend your summers navigating a sailboat when you are not touring new roads on your bikes. And now you are using a sewing machine, embarking with a new talent.

Bud, you are a man of many talents.
    Paul,

Remember last spring when I took my RT apart so we could put the HES on your bike to get you back home?

Well, the RT looks just like it did when you left here.

I rode the Wee Strom, then the GS and Nancy thinks this is the perfect time to reassemble the RT and sell one bike! Imagine that.

RK Ryder
    Paul,

Remember last spring when I took my RT apart so we could put the HES on your bike to get you back home?

Well, the RT looks just like it did when you left here.

I rode the Wee Strom, then the GS and Nancy thinks this is the perfect time to reassemble the RT and sell one bike! Imagine that.
    OK Bud, so you work better under pressure. You cannibalized your bike for the HES just to get me out of Illinois and home in time for the Ontario wedding. That's called motivation.

With the V-Strom, and now the GS, there was no rush putting your RT back together. Nancy's just applying pressure so the RT will be ready as a backup ride for riding season. As I remember, she said that you should have two bikes. Nancy is just motivating you; not wanting you to sell it. I sure of it.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Anyone else taking this home time to do some sewing? Iím doing some hand sewing on a 12ga leather cartridge belt that the stitching has given up on. I donít really use it but the leather is still in all but perfect shape. These belts are still available, currently selling at $105.00 sew itís worth the effort and itís still sewing repairs that I do pretty regular.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200