• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sew I started learning how to sew today

Sewing, really a lost art in our throw away society.

A long time ago my wife used to sew for a living and she used to make a lot of our clothes because back then it was hard to find clothes with long enough arm and legs for us.
She got where she stopped making garments for people because she was lucky if she made minimum wage. She could make a better wage on alterations.
Once in awhile she still does some work for friends, mostly alterations for bridesmaids or prom dresses.
I think the biggest project she ever did was my sister's wedding dress. She's 6'2" tall and could not find a ready made one.

My mother worked at a department store doing alterations. Try that at Macy's today!

She was still trying to sew at 92. :thumb

I'm only doing this because I'm too darn cheap to pay the prices that boat canvas people want for a bimini and dodger. I told Nancy that I could pay for the machine and have money left over with just those two projects.

I had a Cadet once who was 6'4", very athletic and a karate instructor; his first name was Claire. He worked his way through school making wedding dresses and making and selling a variety of bags for use in the outdoors (map cases, toiletry kits, duffle bags). I have often wished I could sew. Very often I have wanted somthing made that I could not find or an item altered but the price at a seamstress was too high. I admire your initiative, Bud... how long until you are taking in work, with a MOA discount, of course.

I had a Cadet once who was 6'4", very athletic and a karate instructor; his first name was Claire. He worked his way through school making wedding dresses and making and selling a variety of bags for use in the outdoors (map cases, toiletry kits, duffle bags). I have often wished I could sew. Very often I have wanted somthing made that I could not find or an item altered but the price at a seamstress was too high. I admire your initiative, Bud... how long until you are taking in work, with a MOA discount, of course.

Kevin,

I think it will be a while before I could sew well enough to charge people (even at a discounted rate).:thumb

Kevin,

I think it will be a while before I could sew well enough to charge people (even at a discounted rate).:thumb

Don't dismiss your ability so lightly Bud. I've seen you take my bike apart and then reassemble. You are quite the craftsman in your wood workshop and spend your summers navigating a sailboat when you are not touring new roads on your bikes. And now you are using a sewing machine, embarking with a new talent.

Bud, you are a man of many talents. :thumb

Don't dismiss your ability so lightly Bud. I've seen you take my bike apart and then reassemble. You are quite the craftsman in your wood workshop and spend your summers navigating a sailboat when you are not touring new roads on your bikes. And now you are using a sewing machine, embarking with a new talent.

Bud, you are a man of many talents. :thumb

Paul,

Remember last spring when I took my RT apart so we could put the HES on your bike to get you back home?

Well, the RT looks just like it did when you left here.

I rode the Wee Strom, then the GS and Nancy thinks this is the perfect time to reassemble the RT and sell one bike! Imagine that.

Paul,

Remember last spring when I took my RT apart so we could put the HES on your bike to get you back home?

Well, the RT looks just like it did when you left here.

I rode the Wee Strom, then the GS and Nancy thinks this is the perfect time to reassemble the RT and sell one bike! Imagine that.

OK Bud, so you work better under pressure. You cannibalized your bike for the HES just to get me out of Illinois and home in time for the Ontario wedding. That's called motivation. :dance

With the V-Strom, and now the GS, there was no rush putting your RT back together. Nancy's just applying pressure so the RT will be ready as a backup ride for riding season. As I remember, she said that you should have two bikes. Nancy is just motivating you; not wanting you to sell it. I sure of it. :laugh :laugh

Anyone else taking this home time to do some sewing? I’m doing some hand sewing on a 12ga leather cartridge belt that the stitching has given up on. I don’t really use it but the leather is still in all but perfect shape. These belts are still available, currently selling at $105.00 sew it’s worth the effort and it’s still sewing repairs that I do pretty regular.
OM

I got back to sewing this year too, it had been many many years. Nothing special but a few projects have gone by such as Roman blinds for upstairs in the B&B and a few masks for friends. We're considering getting into upholstery which will require an industrial machine at some point if we do.
IMG_2684_heic-L.jpg
IMG_2680_heic-L.jpg
leftover fabric from the blind made for good masks
IMG_2685_heic-L.jpg

I got back to sewing this year too, it had been many many years. Nothing special but a few projects have gone by such as Roman blinds for upstairs in the B&B and a few masks for friends. We're considering getting into upholstery which will require an industrial machine at some point if we do.
View attachment 78085
View attachment 78087
leftover fabric from the blind made for good masks
View attachment 78086

Since you're in a sailing area (St. Johns region), what kind/brand of machine do the local sail shops use?

I only know one shop and I don't know how much sail work they actually do anymore as I know they do a lot of fabricating of tents tarps etc. I got them to make canvas curtains for my outdoor shower. As for machines I have no idea what they're using as I didn't look at them when I was in there and it's been a number of years. I'm on a sewing thread on ADV and there are plenty of industrial machine options out there. The one posted earlier in this thread looks pretty cool but is it designed specifically for sails? I just have an older used Singer Debutante, nothing special but it does work well and gets through some heavy material.

I only know one shop and I don't know how much sail work they actually do anymore as I know they do a lot of fabricating of tents tarps etc. I got them to make canvas curtains for my outdoor shower. As for machines I have no idea what they're using as I didn't look at them when I was in there and it's been a number of years. I'm on a sewing thread on ADV and there are plenty of industrial machine options out there. The one posted earlier in this thread looks pretty cool but is it designed specifically for sails? I just have an older used Singer Debutante, nothing special but it does work well and gets through some heavy material.

The Sailrite name is perhaps a bit misleading. It’s a great machine that can be run by hand- no electricity allowing a repair while sailing. It will sew 4 layers of denim with ease. Customer service and support is excellent and they still publish a catalog. If you have an interest, check out their website-

https://www.sailrite.com/

This is the one I have Bud- your's the same?

media.nl

Gary

OM

Yeah we were planning to open our Moto B&B this spring but obviously that has gone down the tubes for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the link to those machines, I can see the benefit of non electric for being on a boat. Looking at the website they have all the upholstery tools you need plus about 15 sewing machines aimed at that. Good resource.

Last edited:
The Sailrite name is perhaps a bit misleading. It’s a great machine that can be run by hand- no electricity allowing a repair while sailing. It will sew 4 layers of denim with ease. Customer service and support is excellent and they still publish a catalog. If you have an interest, check out their website-

https://www.sailrite.com/

OM

I'm on their mailing list, but I'm looking around for a used machine of similar build, but I don't know all the brands. Besides being cheap, I don't need the service life of a new industrial machine. A used one, would do just fine.

It's a bit like buying woodworking equipment, there's lots of brands which sell the same products and Companies with multiple brands at different levels of quality.

It looks like used machines pop up quasi regularly, I would probably do the same but a little less likely around here. I need a planer too but a guy I lent my floor nailer to has one he's going to give me to use, just need new blades for it.

Back