Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sew I started learning how to sew today

Sew I started learning how to sew today

Brought home our furling jib that needed the sun cover restitched. With much help and coaching from Nancy, I managed to do this.

145574709639.jpg

Don't laugh, it's the first thing I've ever sewn. It sure doesn't look like much but it is a big accomplishment for this guy with 10 thumbs.

It is a good first project for me as it is all straight lines.

For those who have never tried, it is harder than it looks. You have to coordinate both hands and a foot at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post

For those who have never tried, it is harder than it looks. You have to coordinate both hands and a foot at the same time.

Mmmmmmmm, two hands and a foot ya say. I bet that whole motorcycle ride'n thing is a bit tough for ya, considering the two hands and two feet needed thing.

Anyway, nice stitches

Brought home our furling jib that needed the sun cover restitched. With much help and coaching from Nancy, I managed to do this.

145574709639.jpg

Don't laugh, it's the first thing I've ever sewn. It sure doesn't look like much but it is a big accomplishment for this guy with 10 thumbs.

I don't think that any sewing is easy to master. I can do buttons and a suture stitch (for patches back in the hippy-dippy days) but it looks like you're into more elaborate stuff. I suppose that if you can't go riding yet you can sit down and light up that machine and take it for a spin. - Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    I don't think that any sewing is easy to master. I can do buttons and a suture stitch (for patches back in the hippy-dippy days) but it looks like you're into more elaborate stuff. I suppose that if you can't go riding yet you can sit down and light up that machine and take it for a spin. - Bob
    Hi Bob,

It will be 70 here in a couple of days. I'm going riding.

Give Mary a big hug from me.

See you on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Mmmmmmmm, two hands and a foot ya say. I bet that whole motorcycle ride'n thing is a bit tough for ya, considering the two hands and two feet needed thing.

Anyway, nice stitches

Thanks for the

Never claimed to be much of a rider.

Nice zig zag stich for your first try
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Corners best achieved with needle down, foot up
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Bud, I'm so proud of you. I recently helped the wife sew the elastic on my new tank bag cover. Required 4 hands and one foot.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

145574709639.jpg

Looks pretty good to me! I HATE, HATE, HATE to sew. Can I send you all my stuff that needs to be sewn?
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Getting the tension right was a huge step.

I've watched the Sailrite videos re: machine setup and operation several times.

They have an amazing amount of free videos on their site. Fantastic customer support.

I bought the video re: Bimini construction. They break everything down into the small possible step so you don't have to guess about anything when following along.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post

Anyway, nice stitches
    I think he's doing a treadle machine, so the speed is foot dependent........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

This is the one I have Bud- your's the same?

Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    This is the one I have Bud- your's the same?

Gary
    Yes, one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I think he's doing a treadle machine, so the speed is foot dependent........
    I mislead you. The foot only presses on the electronic controller.

I use a Sharpie to write the threading paths on the machine, saved me some time.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200