• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

100 Years of BMW limited Edition Bike

From what I've been told, these might be for UK market only...

When the story on the 100 bikes broke, I immediately wrote my BMW NA Regional Sales Rep a note and said "WANT". His reply was that I wasn't alone, and although NA lobbied for some, we will not be getting any, they will be exclusive to the UK market. Wankers!

Nope, not cranky, but an art major (besides a designer). I don't like the way the tank gets divided by painting the edge of the panel where the riders knees go. That area is not painted on regular models. It messes with the flow of the beautiful bodywork fore and aft. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I completely agree. Finding a particular design style appealing is a subjective thing. You either like it or you don't. To my eyes the most attractive RT was the 1st gen 4 valve engine model that was made from 1996-2000 I believe. I find each subsequent model less attractive than the previous model RT. But I prefer the smooth flowing bodywork lines like that of the 1996-2000 RT rather than the separate, angular bodywork than is in fashion now. No doubt others would disagree.

View attachment 54600

I was one of the Kool-Aid drinkers that bought what I refer to as the "First, Last Edition". After collecting their premium for these bikes BMW gets a ton of buyers in the US that don't want to see an end to the flat twin in the States. So ignoring their own advertising, two years later BMW re-introduces the R100 flat twins in the US market. The "Really this time Last Edition" R100's and ignored the complaints of the suckers that bought the "First, Last Edition". I wrote letters to BMW and the FTC and got a really keen BMW Helmet that looked like a Golf Ball as my settlement. Of course BMW said the reintroduced bikes were completely different bikes, because they had mono shock rears. Everything else was the same.

No, I will not be buying any more collector edition bikes from BMW.
Yes, BMW foolishly thought the K-bike would replace the boxer twin. Boy were they wrong.

I was one of the Kool-Aid drinkers that bought what I refer to as the "First, Last Edition".

No, I will not be buying any more collector edition bikes from BMW.

And why I quit attending "Final Tours" by bands of my youth. Recall a 1980's Stones Farewell Tour being my last:laugh

Holy crap. Look at the paint on that RT!

Looks like the red smoke of the early RTs

Yep, that is what the article said. THe R100 from early 90s, I think.

100-years-of-bmw-group-history-celebrated-with-iconic-100-limited-edition-bikes_5.jpg

>>>later note.
opps, now see that other folks mentioned that.

I agree with the comment that the line on the RT tank detracts from the look. They just did the black fade on the edges of every panel, in the case of the tank it's three panels making one "surface" so FAIL on that. I don't see myself moving to England to buy one. Why buy one and ruin its value as a collectable by riding it? Why buy a bike and store it for 30 years just to increase the value of my residual estate?

I would like to see BMW provide more vibrant color choices on the RT. San Marino Blue was good, then they went backwards IMO with the Platinum Bronze Metallic. Pretty but too staid for my taste.

Did you see the post about this only being available in the UK?
I saw in another forum that the 100 year bikes are only for the UK.

I have a friend who has a deposit with a USA dealer to be first in line in case they come to the USA after all.

I bet the limited edition bikes DO make it to the U.S.A. For some, the lure of owning something no one else has is extremely important. There is always a market for exclusivity.

I find the red R1200RT fugly. The currently available colors look better imo.

Back