• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

100 Years of BMW limited Edition Bike

I don't see these being a collector. It's not 100 years for the bikes, it's 100 years for the company.

I don't think people who bought a Last Edition airhead will be interested in another so called collector bike.

Interesting. This is celebrating 100 years of the BMW AG. I wonder if there will be a different 100th edition for the bikes (which I would assume would be 2023, when I was thinking of replacing my 90th edition RT :p).

I don't really like the style of the newer bikes (other than the RS). I saw a wethead RT in the flesh the other day and it just didn't do it for me. I think I'll pass on this edition.

I'm curious if the 100 year anniversary bike in 2023 will be a classic bike release. Or a modern bike release. Or something completely off the charts, like an electric sport bike.

Seems like this is another bit of clever marketing strategy. Harley-Davidson has been making special "limited edition" models for years, and there must be strong sales of them or H-D wouldn't keep making them.

A special "limited edition" model adds another level of exclusivity to the product. I would expect demand for these to be strong.

BMW-R100-Last-Edition-Marketing.jpg
I don't think people who bought a Last Edition airhead will be interested in another so called collector bike.

I was one of the Kool-Aid drinkers that bought what I refer to as the "First, Last Edition". After collecting their premium for these bikes BMW gets a ton of buyers in the US that don't want to see an end to the flat twin in the States. So ignoring their own advertising, two years later BMW re-introduces the R100 flat twins in the US market. The "Really this time Last Edition" R100's and ignored the complaints of the suckers that bought the "First, Last Edition". I wrote letters to BMW and the FTC and got a really keen BMW Helmet that looked like a Golf Ball as my settlement. Of course BMW said the reintroduced bikes were completely different bikes, because they had mono shock rears. Everything else was the same.

No, I will not be buying any more collector edition bikes from BMW.

2016 Red/Black RT meets 1979 Red/Black RT...37 years of "change". Plus my 1990 R100 to R100RS conversion and paint in 1992.

Attachments

• 100-years-of-bmw-group-history-celebrated-with-iconic-100-limited-edition-bikes_5.jpg
    100-years-of-bmw-group-history-celebrated-with-iconic-100-limited-edition-bikes_5.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 292
  • vp3239712_1_large.jpg
    vp3239712_1_large.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20141210_0001.jpg
    IMG_20141210_0001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 292
Nope, not cranky, but an art major (besides a designer). I don't like the way the tank gets divided by painting the edge of the panel where the riders knees go. That area is not painted on regular models. It messes with the flow of the beautiful bodywork fore and aft. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I like everything but the tank...Yo, I went to first grade in Enterprise.

Very cool. Small world. My daughter who graduated from Enterprise high school is stationed at Langley AFB which I understand is close to Virginia beach... There you go, we must be related.

The colours on that RT actually have me considering trading in my two bikes for that one. And that, is monumental in my house.

The colours on that RT actually have me considering trading in my two bikes for that one. And that, is monumental in my house.

Did you see the post about this only being available in the UK?
I saw in another forum that the 100 year bikes are only for the UK.

I thought your 2nd bike belonged to your wife?

Did you see the post about this only being available in the UK?
I saw in another forum that the 100 year bikes are only for the UK.

I thought your 2nd bike belonged to your wife?

Aww man... UK. Why the heck are we looking at it? Yeah the 650 belonging to the wife... That changed last August. Talked about it quite a bit on multiple threads but I'll catch you up. After going 5 months without riding we had to have a heart to heart. As it turns out, riding solo isn't for everyone. Who da thunk it?

Talked about it quite a bit on multiple threads but I'll catch you up. After going 5 months without riding we had to have a heart to heart. As it turns out, riding solo isn't for everyone. Who da thunk it?

Guess I missed the threads where you talked about her changing her mind.
Nothing wrong with riding pillion. Debbie rode pillions 10 year before getting her own bike. I really enjoy having a riding partner on her own bike, but at times I miss having a navigator on the rear seat.

Back