Thread: 2015 1200RT plastic emergency key

2015 1200RT plastic emergency key

Where can the plastic emergency key be found on the bike?
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Not sure if this helps any, but it seems to say some keys came with the documentation and some came without it.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....h-2014-r1200rt
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    Where can the plastic emergency key be found on the bike?
    It should have been given to you as part of the original documentation, etc. Here is what my 2015 R1200RT emergency key looks like:

IMG_2380.jpg

On the back of the black tag marked "GKS" is a five-digit code with an initial letter followed by four numbers. That has no relation to my VIN as far as I can tell.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    It should have been given to you as part of the original documentation, etc. Here is what my 2015 R1200RT emergency key looks like:

IMG_2380.jpg

On the back of the black tag marked "GKS" is a five-digit code with an initial letter followed by four numbers. That has no relation to my VIN as far as I can tell.
    You don't need the black tab, keys are cut to last 7 of the VIN.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

replacement

is there a way to get a replacement emergency key if you lose the original?
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

You can have any dealer order one... will need your ID, and registration in hand.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

How does the plastic emergency key work if the regular key is chip coded? Only assuming the 2015 key is coded like my 2009....
    I could also ask, how could I get a plastic emergency key for my '09RT if the stock key has the chip and the plastic one doesn't?
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana
    Moderator of www.Chromeheads.org

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanli View Post
    How does the plastic emergency key work if the regular key is chip coded? Only assuming the 2015 key is coded like my 2009....
    I could also ask, how could I get a plastic emergency key for my '09RT if the stock key has the chip and the plastic one doesn't?
    The plastic key is apparently an RFID tag. On my keyless ignition wethead GS, I can use the plastic key to "light up" the bike. I have to physically hold the plastic key against a certain spot under the rear fender area while pushing the keyless ignition button. The bike's computer verifies that the tag matches the bike's identity and "lights up." Then the starter button will work.

The regular key fob works at some distance from the bike, the plastic key has to be held against a special spot on the bike.

Harry