• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Has Anyone Heard Anything About Navigator VI?

mbrannan

Bought a new 2015 GS end of last season. Did not get Navigator V at that time. Planning on getting one for this riding season (once snow melts).

Has anyone heard anything about when the next Navigator (6 I assume) will be released? Would like to get the latest and greatest.

Thanks,
MB

Bought a new 2015 GS end of last season. Did not get Navigator V at that time. Planning on getting one for this riding season (once snow melts).

Has anyone heard anything about when the next Navigator (6 I assume) will be released? Would like to get the latest and greatest.

Thanks,
MB
Welcome to the forum!
Can't help you on a 6, but I can tell you we have some knowledgeable Members when it come to GPS.
Gary

I think Garmin will have to come up with an updated 660 which is what the NAV v started as.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Garmin will have to come up with an updated 660 which is what the NAV v started as.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really... NAV IV is basically the same as the Z660. The NAV V was designed and produced specifically for BMW - there is no comparable Zumo product available.

I have not heard of any plans to introduce a next gen NAV, and if there are it probably won't be until the '17 model year motos begin production, at the very earliest. Not saying I think there will be, I really can't see any reason to make a change to the current offering.

I was told of a rumor that a Nav VI is in the works, but no estimate about a possible release date. So, it could be total BS or not. Who knows.

For me, I didn't wait and did buy the Nav V. :thumb

If the deal goes through with Garmin and Delorme, the future could yield some exciting new products for the adventure riding market. How about a new Nav that includes the Inreach two-way satellite messaging and tracking? I keep my Inreach on me in case I get separated from the bike and need to activate the SOS but still, that would be a pretty cool, seamless way to add safety to our rides and track an excursion off the beaten path.

I don't see a lot of difference between these models(Zumo 395 and 595) and last year's Zumo 390 and 590. Looks more like an "annual" model change rather than a major upgrade. The press release makes a big fuss over twisty road selection (that was added in software to the previous models about a year ago) but not much else. Twisty road preferences (software update) and cellphone smart link already exist in the Nav V. The Zumos have much greater audio capability than the Nav V. It seems to me that BMW's focus (if you can call it that) is more on bike integration features. They seem to have picked some of the GPS software features from the Zumo 590 and then had their own custom software added. The housing was a requirement to stay compatible with the K1600 mount. I would assume that this compatibility will last at least one more generation (but only BMW and maybe Garmin would know for sure).

It's very disappointing that Garmin doesn't include support for SiriusXM in these new models! Like the Zumo 590 and Nav V, they rely on a cellphone data connection for weather and music. There are many parts of the country where the cellphone coverage is non-existant, poor, or with slow bandwidth. The amount of data for weather or music can significantly impact a cellphone data plan, resulting in higher monthly charges, especially since many providers are capping data usage.

For those reasons, I've been continuing to use my five-year-old Zumo 665 on my 2015 R1200GSA even though I also bought the Nav V for it. The weather display from SiriusXM is especially important to me when touring around the mountains of western US and Canada where cell coverage is very, very spotty at best.

Don

Last edited:

Thanks,
MB

Might as well make a selection from your current choices. There is no guarantee that a NAV VI will be compatible with your current bike or mount.

It's very disappointing that Gamrin doesn't include support for SiriusXM in these new models! Like the Zumo 590 and Nav V, they rely on a cellphone data connection for weather and music. There are many parts of the country where the cellphone coverage is non-existant, poor, or with slow bandwidth. The amount of data for weather or music can significantly impact a cellphone data plan, resulting in higher monthly charges, especially since many providers are capping data usage.

For those reasons, I've been continuing to use my five-year-old Zumo 665 on my 2015 R1200GSA even though I also bought the Nav V for it. The weather display from SiriusXM is especially important to me when touring around the mountains of western US and Canada where cell coverage is very, very spotty at best.

Don

I like the XM feature too. I have a Zumo 550 it has a hockey puck antenna with radio like the Zumo 665 but I think these are the only models to offer XM. I don't see anything for the Zumo 590, the bike uses the bikes radio with built in XM, not the Nav V. I don't know of any weather proof bike worthy SiriusXM radio on the market today, making the old Zumo's the only good option in HO. Giving the RT another check of why I love it so much.

Jay

I'd love to see the Garmin BC 30 wireless backup camera be able to connect to Nav V. I would love to have a rearward view sitting front and center on RTW's Nav V mount. RTW's mirrors aren't the best and to have direct wide angle rear view would be fabulous, and they already do with several car GPS devices.

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.41.46 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.41.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.41.46 PM.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 658
I don't see a lot of difference between these models(Zumo 395 and 595) and last year's Zumo 390 and 590. Looks more like an "annual" model change rather than a major upgrade. The press release makes a big fuss over twisty road selection (that was added in software to the previous models about a year ago) but not much else. Twisty road preferences (software update) and cellphone smart link already exist in the Nav V. The Zumos have much greater audio capability than the Nav V. It seems to me that BMW's focus (if you can call it that) is more on bike integration features. They seem to have picked some of the GPS software features from the Zumo 590 and then had their own custom software added. The housing was a requirement to stay compatible with the K1600 mount. I would assume that this compatibility will last at least one more generation (but only BMW and maybe Garmin would know for sure).

I've had both the 590LM and the Nav V. While the Nav V isn't without its issues (to me: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/145970-another-nav-v-issue-thread.html), it seems to be a much smoother and more refined unit than the 590, audio features excluded.

It's very disappointing that Garmin doesn't include support for SiriusXM in these new models! Like the Zumo 590 and Nav V, they rely on a cellphone data connection for weather and music. There are many parts of the country where the cellphone coverage is non-existant, poor, or with slow bandwidth. The amount of data for weather or music can significantly impact a cellphone data plan, resulting in higher monthly charges, especially since many providers are capping data usage.

Don

This was brought up on another forum recently which prompted me to check how much data the Smartlink app (weather and traffic) has used. I was shocked when I saw how little it used. My Starbucks app has used more data and I can't remember when the last time I used it. Streaming music is a whole different animal. I'm thankful my bike has Sirius built in.

JJ

Do any current Garmin models use the same connector as the Nav V? If they come up with a Nav VI based on a new (incompatible) platform, there will be no drop-in upgrade path for existing owners, and they will need to come up with a new GPS prep kit too.

Do any current Garmin models use the same connector as the Nav V? If they come up with a Nav VI based on a new (incompatible) platform, there will be no drop-in upgrade path for existing owners, and they will need to come up with a new GPS prep kit too.

Yes and no... Zumo 6XX fits and uses same pin connection, but the wiring config to the pins is different. It will provide power to the unit, but that's about it.

I really doubt the interface platform will change from NAV V to VI when it becomes a reality, there are way too many reasons not to.

Back