Thread: Better stopping power

Better stopping power

I was wondering if anyone has installed a complete front fork assembly on a early /7 from a k75 to improve braking performance?

Well, this isn't what you are asking, but… I went from single disc ATE to dual disc ATE to on my /7 and it was huge (huge) improvement. I think quite a few folks have upgraded to the 81-84 Brembo brake front end with good results. I would do so myself, but I like the period appropriate ATE setup and have chosen to stick with it, in spite of its relative limitations.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

I was going to write a treatise on this topic,...but I stifled myself.

Why not make the original design work to the best functional limit of it's design and then LIVE WITH IT? Re-train yourself to campaign an obsolete machine that performs at the top of it's design limit and enjoy being able to do that without getting killed. Ride within the limits of the machines capability and derive satisfaction from achieving that noble end?
    1973 R75/5

Oh, by the way, post 1985, mono-shock Airheads come with "K" model dual disc front ends and 18 inch tubeless wheels. They would be the best front brakes on Airheads. I own and ride one of these. By the time you have spent the $ to make a /7 brake like a mono-shock RS, you could buy a mono-shock RS and keep your /7.
    1973 R75/5

I hate to say this - in the day we went with twin ATE calipers off R90S wrecks with Ferodo brake pads and cast iron rotors. Braking was then adequate. The single disk ATE brakes were BMW's original anti-lock brakes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

ATE brakes can be made to work rather well. I had mine modified by a local BMW guru in St. Louis. My comparison bike at the time was my 2007 Triumph Scrambler. My Motorsport could match braking performance of that bike after the mods. That said, it still cannot hold a candle to a modern sport bike, but improvements are possible. The mods included floating and drilled rotors, ceramic brake pads, and SS brake lines.

Wayne