• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are Newer (2013+ GS LC) Vario cases not Waterproof??

I have a "new to me" 2014 1200 GS LC with Vario cases.
When I purchased the bike, both cases had rusted bolts on the inside and the seals had a 1/8 gap in them.
Obviously, the cases leaked but the previous owner didn't care to do anything about it.

BMW gave me a new replacement (under warranty) set of cases :clap.
I wanted to test these cases for dryness.
I set the cases in the bathtub and poured water over the closure section (where the seal is inside) and was surprised when I found a cup of water inside both cases.

Are the new style cases (for 2013+ 1200 GS LC) not as waterproof???

When I check the microfiche for a 2014 1200 GS LC, it shows a one piece molded rubber seal.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=55471&rnd=07012015

Look under accessories and scroll down to Single pars- vario case.

When I check my cases, the rubber seal is like the one piece molded strip (like in the microfiche) BUT...it has been cut...probably to make installation easier.
There is also a space where the 2 ends meet.

Has anyone any experiences with the newer Vario cases.

All I can say is I have Vario cases on my 2014 GS and I've not had anything get wet in them nor have I ever noticed any water in them. I do not go out of my way to ride in the rain, but I've been caught in rain for light to heavy on numerous occasions.

There's a similar question now in the ADVrider forum and there are over a dozen respondents who seem to think the Varios are indeed waterproof.

I wanted to test these cases for dryness.
I set the cases in the bathtub and poured water over the closure section (where the seal is inside) and was surprised when I found a cup of water inside both cases.

I'm going to guess that the cases are not rated for immersion, but are waterproof or at least water resistant when rained upon. Can you simulate rain with a garden hose or the shower head and then check for leaks?

When I check my cases, the rubber seal is like the one piece molded strip (like in the microfiche) BUT...it has been cut...probably to make installation easier.
There is also a space where the 2 ends meet.

I have older Vario cases and each has a gasket gap at the lower leading edge corner. While I have yet to ride in a downpour, the bike has been through a downpour while parked outside of work and when I came out to leave for the day, the inside of the each case was dry.

I have sold my fair share of 7/8/1200GS's with varios to customers who are anything but fair weather types, and have yet to have a customer express a concern. :dunno

This is my second set of vario cases. The first set got wet and the bolt and nuts inside the case started to rust.
BMW replaced them under warranty.
The service manager stated that he found the latching mechanism wasn't closing tightly.
Upon inspection, the latches on these cases don't hold the lids securely against the body of the case.
There is no adjustability for the latch.

I'm referring to the newer style Varios for 2013+ GS LC's.

Back